Thanksgiving is almost upon us

sooo... theac, what time should I be by?

And with all due respect, how come watching the Food Network all weekend, they all stuffed their turkeys?

fly said:
sooo... theac, what time should I be by?

And with all due respect, how come watching the Food Network all weekend, they all stuffed their turkeys?
I listen to Alton and the USDA. You guys can do whatever you want with your birds.

theacoustician said:
I listen to Alton and the USDA. You guys can do whatever you want with your birds.
I dunno who I watched. It was some gay dude, then the Barefoot Contessa chick, then that savannah chick. They all did it.

btw, how do you make your stuffing then? Just bake it?

zengirl said:
:eek:

Um, the USDA says not to purchase pre-stuffed turkeys for fear of bacteria... says nothing about refraining from stuffing your own, in fact gives tips on how to safely stuff your turkey

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Lets_Talk_Turkey/index.asp
Funny, the first thing on their Thanksgiving website is DO NOT LET RAW MEAT TOUCH ANY OTHER PREPARED FOOD or the part where they talk about having to measure internal turkey temperature in the middle of the stuffing instead of the deep part of the breast. After actually getting sick at Thanksgiving in the past, I'll take the safe way, thanks.

theacoustician said:
Funny, the first thing on their Thanksgiving website is DO NOT LET RAW MEAT TOUCH ANY OTHER PREPARED FOOD or the part where they talk about having to measure internal turkey temperature in the middle of the stuffing instead of the deep part of the breast. After actually getting sick at Thanksgiving in the past, I'll take the safe way, thanks.
dammit. how do you make your stuffing?

theacoustician said:
Exactly, you never let raw poultry touch prepared stuff, although you really can't consider stuffing going into the bird prepared because...er.. well... it does get cooked right along with the raw turkey, doesn't it? :lol: So in that logic *gasp* the stuffing is as safe as the turkey you've just cooked.

:fly:

Thorn Bird said:
no. :( reason posted on first page. :(

*sighs*
Oh dang! :egads:

I'm subjecting myself to my father's cooking on turkey day, then making up for it by cooking my own turkey dinner at my mom's house on Saturday.

My dad thinks turkey is done when it's all dried out jerkey style

sooo gross.

Bubbles said:
My dad makes the stuffing everyyear....nothing on earth like dad's stuffing. All I know is you sautee onions and celery in butter with salt and pepper. Then he rips up a loaf of slightly stale white bread and a few pieces of stale wheat. I don't know where he goes from there, cause he says its a secret, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to make your own twist with that basic recipie.

edit: I think he adds an egg or two and a bit of water to hold the bread together as well.

Sounds like my moms recipe. Except she buys the "stuffing bread", comes in an orange bag, and skips the wheat bread.

I think there's some sort of booze involved too. Plus she adds cornflakes.