Baby Teach them to tattle or teach them to fight back?

LOL @ all the non-parents chiming in. I'm just DYING to hear the parents snap their fingers and shake their heads at us with that 'tude.

We dealt with a bad situation last year. Dom is a big kid for his age (90th percentile for height and weight) and very strong. I've tried to teach him to walk away and get a teacher's help when needed. That said there was one time when Dom just pummeled a kid for scratching and pinching him so hard he bled and developed a scar. I told Dom it wasn't a good thing to do all the time, but I understood it. When a kid smashed toys directly on his hands, he lashed out again. We did wind up pulling him from the private preschool because the teachers did NOTHING and all the kids were fighting like that. ETA: my kid is usually easy going and was not one to hit, so him hitting, kicking, pinching etc was 100% out of norm for him. Usually kids (no joke) bounce off of him so it's not much of an issue, but last year was awful with the pinching and kicking.

I'm not a fan of fighting but there are times when I say enough is enough.

I teach him retaliation is not a good thing especially since he is one of the largest in his class, but sometimes you have to keep yourself safe. However I will never stand for him starting a physical fight. From what I see on the playground the parents don't either. We all kind of get when kids hit back, but the one who gets in the most trouble it seems (just by the parents) are the ones who start it. Fortunately now it's a totally rare thing.

Last edited:
Enroll him in self defense classes. TKD or Karate or BJJ. Somewhere were he can be taught discipline with the skills to fight back the right way, and have it ingrained in him over and over ever week. Plus the social aspect is great.

I've changed my mind on this, teach him to fight back in completion. Revenge is a dish best served cold, read him the count of Monte Cristo.

I've changed my mind again, this might be columbine advice.

Tell kiko to kick the kid in the balls and call him a pussy, then curb stomp him while he's down.

My rugby coach once told me: "If you start a fight, I'll kick your ass. If you don't finish a fight, I'll kick your ass".

Words to live by.

Enroll him in self defense classes. TKD or Karate or BJJ. Somewhere were he can be taught discipline with the skills to fight back the right way, and have it ingrained in him over and over ever week. Plus the social aspect is great.

this sounds like a good idea. I never did any martial stuff as a kid myself, but from what i know, the core rule of those classes is never ever ever to use your skills in anger, or in attack, etc.

This is a damn good idea. Do this.

I'd go with something in the judo/jujitsu spectrum, where the goal is more to throw someone to the ground than to punch their lights out.

This is why kids need dads. This isn't even a question. If someone punches you, you punch them back. Every single f*cking time. If you're outnumbered, you fight dirty. If someone uses a weapon, you use a better weapon.

Moms are great, but they tend to coddle too much. Men know how to handle situations like this. It's in our genes.

I think Liam is right - get him enrolled in a martial arts class and they will instill in him never to start fights or be a dickhead but how to defend himself in the best way possible and with many things like ju jitsu that doesn't even mean hurting someone but just disarming them - plus if word gets round when he's older that he's got martial arts training people are less likely to put him in those situations in the first place

This is why kids need dads. This isn't even a question. If someone punches you, you punch them back. Every single f*cking time. If you're outnumbered, you fight dirty. If someone uses a weapon, you use a better weapon.

Moms are great, but they tend to coddle too much. Men know how to handle situations like this. It's in our genes.
I got this same talk as a kid

WTF kind of stupid shit is this post? Stereotype much?

Even my dad agrees that not all punches deserve a retaliation. No wonder our kids fight so much if you believe that truly is the right thing to do.

Even my dad agrees that not all punches deserve a retaliation. No wonder our kids fight so much if you believe that truly is the right thing to do.
If someone punches you, you defend yourself. Any attack warrants a response.

It's an alpha male thing. You wouldn't understand.