should i buy a motorcycle?? (DIFFERENT CONTENT!! OH MY)

kiwi said:
One of the bikes Knyte's looked at comes in all black like that and it's only 600cc, I'd be perfectly happy with that one too.
the difference between a 600 and 1000 is night and day, please be safe

elpmis said:
Whoa whoa, we're both talking about the same bike, right? The fucking R1. What you just said is the greatest understatement of all time. Unless a dude has been riding sport bikes (super for that matter) for at least 5 years the only place you'll get riding that bike is to one of these:

[MG]http://uselessforums.com/files/062205/hospitalroom.jpg[/IMG]

Regardless of the power of a bike, it only goes as fast as the rider coaxes it to. Open it up gently and it's smooth as silk. Open it up any other way and you're a grease spot.

elpmis said:
the difference between a 600 and 1000 is night and day, please be safe

Oh we will, when Knyte gets around to getting a bike (a few years off), he won't get anything more than a 600cc, and MY bike (even longer off) might not even be that much. We aren't very big people and a 1000cc would own us.

Sarcasmo said:
Regardless of the power of a bike, it only goes as fast as the rider coaxes it to. Open it up gently and it's smooth as silk. Open it up any other way and you're a grease spot.
spoken like a true newbie, GTFO

kiwi said:
Oh we will, when Knyte gets around to getting a bike (a few years off), he won't get anything more than a 600cc, and MY bike (even longer off) might not even be that much. We aren't very big people and a 1000cc would own us.
good :D

elpmis said:
Whoa whoa, we're both talking about the same bike, right? The fucking R1. What you just said is the greatest understatement of all time. Unless a dude has been riding sport bikes (super for that matter) for at least 5 years the only place you'll get riding that bike is to one of these:
:lol:

I think you're overstating things a bit

Sure, not good for a first bike but 5 years is a little extreme

I don't see myself ever buying one cuz they're too dang small, I've sat on the R6's, R1's and ZX-636R's and they seem so tiny. I am considering a 'busa though...

ChikkenNoodul said:
:lol:

I think you're overstating things a bit

Sure, not good for a first bike but 5 years is a little extreme

I don't see myself ever buying one cuz they're too dang small, I've sat on the R6's, R1's and ZX-636R's and they seem so tiny. I am considering a 'busa though...
okay 5 years might be an over kill, but seriously, have you been on a 1000cc bike before? The R1 I think is in the realm of 998ccs, but still, to say it's not so bad if you slowly open it up is true, but it takes being on one of those fuckers for a long time to be able to control that. You gotta account for other people on the road and those instances where you do have to quickly speed up, and if you're not a pro, you'll fucking flip yourself

If you start on a sportbike, the cruiser will be boring for you. They're heavy, slow, and don't handle as well by comparison. Well, at least that was my experience.

Either way I'll be jealous as I'm bikeless ATM. :(

I've been thinking of buying a bike in a few years. I wanna try driving myself instead of just riding around on the back of the husband's bike (not that that isn't fun). I'll definately go for a small sporty bike though. I really like the little BMW bike.

elpmis said:
okay 5 years might be an over kill, but seriously, have you been on a 1000cc bike before? The R1 I think is in the realm of 998ccs, but still, to say it's not so bad if you slowly open it up is true, but it takes being on one of those fuckers for a long time to be able to control that. You gotta account for other people on the road and those instances where you do have to quickly speed up, and if you're not a pro, you'll fucking flip yourself
No, I haven't personally ridden a litre sport bike, but I can tell you I wouldn't flip one of my own doing.

It all depends upon the person, if you're the type that panics and makes heavy handed movements yeah, you're going to have trouble. If you've never ridden a hot 2-stroke dirtbike, you may have trouble with the throttle control at first too - the movement required to go from sedate to wheelie land on the modern supersports is pretty small, it requires a light touch.

I've got 5,000 miles of riding in some of the worst traffic combined with some of the worst road conditions in the country, combined with over 300,000 miles of the same in driving experience - the asshole avoidance is part of my nature, that's not something that has to be relearned with a new bike.

elpmis said:

http://uselessforums.com/files/062205/hospitalroom.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Not necessarily. I rode a '98 CBR 1100XX for a year, it was my first bike. Granted I learned how to ride from a race instructor and I'm a big guy (6'3" 250#) so it's a little different. I wouldn't recommend anyone start on as big of a bike as I did unless they had access to the proper type of instruction and track time.

And yes I wrecked it, which is why I'm bikeless now. Fortunately for me it was at Road America and there was nobody else on the track. Wearing your gear = win.

Git you one of these:

bh_flames.jpg