Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

No that's your pizza, go check the oven

The oven is off, like your landline internet, and well water.

Adam Sandler The Price Is Wrong Bitch GIF

Guys, I have a problem with my BROcade switch.

No, not that I have to use the CLI to o figure it because the web interface was built on the Geocities platform.

It’s physically too deep (that’s what she said) to fit in my rack that’s under the basement stairs.

I already had to slide the patch panels and switches down the few spaces I could to shoehorn in my Unifi UDM LOONIX CLOUD KEY, and the BROcade is deeper than that.

I think I need to relocate the Synology NAS and it’s drive expander that sit in the bottom of the rack, elsewhere. They’re not rack devices anyways.

And the UPS takes up like 7u’s because it’s what I already had, and also not rack mount.

Looks like I gotta spend some $$$$.

No, not that I have to use the CLI to o figure it because the web interface was built on the Geocities platform.

It’s physically too deep (that’s what she said) to fit in my rack that’s under the basement stairs.

I already had to slide the patch panels and switches down the few spaces I could to shoehorn in my Unifi UDM LOONIX CLOUD KEY, and the BROcade is deeper than that.

I think I need to relocate the Synology NAS and it’s drive expander that sit in the bottom of the rack, elsewhere. They’re not rack devices anyways.

And the UPS takes up like 7u’s because it’s what I already had, and also not rack mount.

Sounds like you've got a lot of stuff not intended to mount in racks, so why try to smash those square pegs into round holes?

If you're still in the region, someone was selling a 4u 20 bay hotswap around here

dumbass Q since I haven't touched this stuff in forever:

I'm planning on setting up openmediavault for a home NAS. But the Starlink router is wifi5, and my OMV box has an AX210 wifi6e card in it, and I'm looking at it and pondering if I should just ditch the router and make this lil machine do everything.

Thoughts on running proxmox on the box as a VM host, then pfsense/opnsense for routing/VPN/whatever + OMV for home NAS duties in VM's?

If I do, should I try to put shit on different physical drives (proxmox drive, pfsense drive, OMV system drive, OMV storage drive) or is combining drives OK? Because the system I'm planning on using, a little Dell 3050 Micro, only has a NVMe slot and a 2.5" SATA bay, and I'm hoping I can use the NVMe for OMV storage and cram everything else on a SATA SSD. I've also got a 3060 SFF which I can cram a bunch more drives into if I have to.

Backup will be done over USB, haven't 100% figured that part out yet.

dumbass Q since I haven't touched this stuff in forever:

I'm planning on setting up openmediavault for a home NAS. But the Starlink router is wifi5, and my OMV box has an AX210 wifi6e card in it, and I'm looking at it and pondering if I should just ditch the router and make this lil machine do everything.

Thoughts on running proxmox on the box as a VM host, then pfsense/opnsense for routing/VPN/whatever + OMV for home NAS duties in VM's?

If I do, should I try to put shit on different physical drives (proxmox drive, pfsense drive, OMV system drive, OMV storage drive) or is combining drives OK? Because the system I'm planning on using, a little Dell 3050 Micro, only has a NVMe slot and a 2.5" SATA bay, and I'm hoping I can use the NVMe for OMV storage and cram everything else on a SATA SSD. I've also got a 3060 SFF which I can cram a bunch more drives into if I have to.

Backup will be done over USB, haven't 100% figured that part out yet.
Id separate NAS functions from your routing box. Ive tried to do it a number of times and learned that your router needs to be dead stable. Id be ok putting home assistant or other "infrastructure" type loads on proxmox in parallel with opnsense.

• Gravy
Reactions: gee
I have come into the possession of an Arris TG1682G which appears to be old Xfinity equipment and is locked to their network. There doesn't appear to be a way in the settings to completely reprovision it. I can't find any factory default firmware. Is there a way to make it usable or is it just a $300 paperweight?