Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

I have come into the possession of an Arris TG1682G which appears to be old Xfinity equipment and is locked to their network. There doesn't appear to be a way in the settings to completely reprovision it. I can't find any factory default firmware. Is there a way to make it usable or is it just a $300 paperweight?
If this was provider owned equipment that the prior customer never returned, then it is essentially "stolen equipment" and cannot be provisioned on Xfinity. You could call Xfinity and they should be able to look up the MAC Address in their provisioning system to find out. Usually any modem that has telephony component built in is provider equipment, not something generally available at the store to buy as your own modem.

Guys, I have a problem with my BROcade switch.

No, not that I have to use the CLI to o figure it because the web interface was built on the Geocities platform.

It’s physically too deep (that’s what she said) to fit in my rack that’s under the basement stairs.

I already had to slide the patch panels and switches down the few spaces I could to shoehorn in my Unifi UDM LOONIX CLOUD KEY, and the BROcade is deeper than that.

I think I need to relocate the Synology NAS and it’s drive expander that sit in the bottom of the rack, elsewhere. They’re not rack devices anyways.

And the UPS takes up like 7u’s because it’s what I already had, and also not rack mount.

Looks like I gotta spend some $$$$.
I'm fairly certain that I've seen custom brackets that you can install to put deeper equipment into short depth racks. I think Startech makes a bracket. Personally I'd just replace the rack and be done with it.

edit: one such vendor of brackets https://www.racksolutions.com/1u-adapter-brackets.html

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
If this was provider owned equipment that the prior customer never returned, then it is essentially "stolen equipment" and cannot be provisioned on Xfinity. You could call Xfinity and they should be able to look up the MAC Address in their provisioning system to find out. Usually any modem that has telephony component built in is provider equipment, not something generally available at the store to buy as your own modem.
Pretty sure that was Verizon's opinion on their MoCA routers back in the day. Those things were so handy though.

Damn yeah it has 2 telephone ports. It's really full featured, going through the settings.

Installing new WiFi at another farm brewery I frequent. This was the lone outdoor AP they had. It started to flake and need “regular resetting”, and at some point some doofus put it back upside down so the cable pointed upwards.

So yeah, no shit it was filled with water when I pulled it down.

I cut 6 inches off the cable and crimped a new end on. Then installed the new Unifi AP-AC-M.

IMG_0543.jpeg

Along with all that, they got 4 other AP-AC-M’s, a UXG-Lite Gateway, 16 port switch, a fucking UPS for the first time (they have shitty power), and we pulled a buttload of cable to connect it all.

And they have a proper guest network now, one that not everyone including employees and all the Square Terminals will connect to because “that’s the one that works the least shitty”.

at least its not corroded to shit and all green. They probably smeared it with silicone grease before inserting it.

I made that mistake a while back and all my POE camera connections corroded to shit and I had to reterminate them all

at least its not corroded to shit and all green. They probably smeared it with silicone grease before inserting it.

I made that mistake a while back and all my POE camera connections corroded to shit and I had to reterminate them all

:lol: Silicone grease?

Nah. They did none of that shit.

I’m happy the wire is ok. Otherwise it would’ve even a PITA to run a new one.

:lol: Silicone grease?
We silicone grease all of our "goes in an outdoor box in the middle of nowhere where it's expensive to go fuck with it" RJ45s, D-subs and such. And all our underwater connectors get greased.

It gets on everything and collects dirt so don't put it on stuff that has to be taken apart and put together a lot. But it's good stuff.

edit: MG Chemicals 8462 is the stuff we use.

Last edited:
We silicone grease all of our "goes in an outdoor box in the middle of nowhere where it's expensive to go fuck with it" RJ45s, D-subs and such. And all our underwater connectors get greased.

It gets on everything and collects dirt so don't put it on stuff that has to be taken apart and put together a lot. But it's good stuff.

edit: MG Chemicals 8462 is the stuff we use.

Yes. I know the benefits.

None of that shit was happening with whoever installed that AP 5+ years ago.

It was “cheapest on Amazon? I’ll take it!”

Installing new WiFi at another farm brewery I frequent. This was the lone outdoor AP they had. It started to flake and need “regular resetting”, and at some point some doofus put it back upside down so the cable pointed upwards.

So yeah, no shit it was filled with water when I pulled it down.

I cut 6 inches off the cable and crimped a new end on. Then installed the new Unifi AP-AC-M.

View attachment 18351

Along with all that, they got 4 other AP-AC-M’s, a UXG-Lite Gateway, 16 port switch, a fucking UPS for the first time (they have shitty power), and we pulled a buttload of cable to connect it all.

And they have a proper guest network now, one that not everyone including employees and all the Square Terminals will connect to because “that’s the one that works the least shitty”.
Why does a UPS really matter if the internet is going to go down anyway? :lol:

There's gear on the outside plant to seep Fios up for a certain amount of time during a power outage, this is to keep voice service running for emergencies.

A brief brownout, won't cause Fios to go down.
Yep.
Ive found this to be true with most modern high speed stuff. Takes a good while for internet to shit out when everything else is out, if you have power to the modem/router.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Got my beers comped last night because the new WiFi is “lighting fast”. Also, I told them I work for beer. I’ve been comped 4 nights now. I need to remember to bring cash for a tip.

Three more AP’s to install, two outside, one in the food trailer. The iPad Square runs on in the food trailer has a cell plan because no wifi, but the cell service sucks out there. The cooks just wanna be able to play music on their phones out there.

They’re gonna pick up the necessary weatherproof outdoor boxes and in-use covers and we’ll put that shit in probably on Friday.

Pretty decent project. I should start a company called “You don’t know shit about wifi and it’s not supposed to suck”.

I really do not get it when people tell me “yeah, wifi just isn’t going to be good for insert X reason here”.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly