Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

@Domon I did see some report along my travels that the dude got a bad chip. So I'm going to swap this one out at Best Buy.

There's also a good chance that RC3 will have the 5.16 kernel, which (may?) have full support for this chip and fix these issues. Although apparently the performance still sucks compared to Windows due to it not yet supporting Thread Director.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
@Domon I did see some report along my travels that the dude got a bad chip. So I'm going to swap this one out at Best Buy.

There's also a good chance that RC3 will have the 5.16 kernel, which (may?) have full support for this chip and fix these issues. Although apparently the performance still sucks compared to Windows due to it not yet supporting Thread Director.
You can build a 5.16 kernel from source and try it before you just up and swap chips...

One, maybe you can, but I can't. And two, start to finish including travel to the store, it will take me an hour to swap the chip. Return window closes in three days, so why not.
I thought you "loved to learn". I know kernel compiling isn't exactly docker-level bleeding edge tech, but you could give it a shot.

I thought you "loved to learn". I know kernel compiling isn't exactly docker-level bleeding edge tech, but you could give it a shot.

He doesn't even have to compile it, there's plenty of folks that have pre-compiled downloadable ones that are bleeding edge

(Im not sure he can operate a potato)

Once again, I'm not sure how your stupid overcomplicated bullshit works out, but get a console on whichever container needs the GPU support, download the build tools, and build the kernel.
Yeah, I also don't know. The lack of people seemingly doing it, and the extremely outdated docs lead me to believe that its probably something I should just wait for.

lol, there's a docker container just for building kernels for unraid. It's in ich777's repo. Adding that complication that should get your dick hard again, @fly.

edit, link:
I don't think that's exactly what that is for. And a couple weeks ago, in the support thread for that, he suggested to another user that he wait for a new Unraid version with an updated kernel. :(

edit: And then there are these replies here:

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum
I mean if you really want to help me learn to do this, I'm willing to try. However, I'm sure you'd much rather just be rustled and call me an idiot. ;)
Can you meet me halfway and point me to a docker image I can run with unraid on it? If I can figure out how to run it in docker desktop on my turdy old laptop, I'll try and help.

Can you meet me halfway and point me to a docker image I can run with unraid on it? If I can figure out how to run it in docker desktop on my turdy old laptop, I'll try and help.
My Google-fu turned up blank. It's designed to run bare metal from USB. I'd guess you might be able to get it to boot from USB into a VM?

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum