Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

You got the same config in place as @Domon recommended for transcoding?
For the most part yes. Transcoding is setup the same. However, iirc, he's transcoding to /dev/shm/ which can use up to 50% of RAM and I've setup an 8GB RAM drive. I sincerely doubt that matters though, as I had been transcoding to nvme before that. Either way, everything is stable until hardware transcoding is enabled.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
For the most part yes. Transcoding is setup the same. However, iirc, he's transcoding to /dev/shm/ which can use up to 50% of RAM and I've setup an 8GB RAM drive. I sincerely doubt that matters though, as I had been transcoding to nvme before that. Either way, everything is stable until hardware transcoding is enabled.
edit: never mind, I thought we were talking about an actual SHM implementation, not just locking tmpfs.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: fly
Crashed again, so it wasn't the CPU. Seemed unlikely, but worth a shot.
Do you have the netdata docker installed? It might be useful to see if any of your resources are maxing out just before the crash. I pay special attention to IO wait. Unraid really really doesn't like it if your IO wait Max is out

Man, did you run mem test yet
Yes. Not completely, but for a couple of hours. No errors.
Do you have the netdata docker installed? It might be useful to see if any of your resources are maxing out just before the crash. I pay special attention to IO wait. Unraid really really doesn't like it if your IO wait Max is out
Yes, I have that installed. Almost no IO wait.

edit: And just a reminder, this ONLY happens with hw transcoding enabled.

Yes. Not completely, but for a couple of hours. No errors.

Yes, I have that installed. Almost no IO wait.

edit: And just a reminder, this ONLY happens with hw transcoding enabled.
Definitely remember that, remember that the igpu shares system ram. That's why I'm concerned about ram. It also tends to share a portion of system ram that's way near the end of the last stick, ram that wouldn't normally get utilized in normal use

• Gravy
@fly I have a virtualbox vm running unraid, I'm going to see if I can shell into it and build a kernel today.
You may not need this, or have already seen it, but this guy listed his process at the end of the post.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Definitely remember that, remember that the igpu shares system ram. That's why I'm concerned about ram. It also tends to share a portion of system ram that's way near the end of the last stick, ram that wouldn't normally get utilized in normal use
So I (sorta) took your advice and pulled it offline to run memtest. I let it run for about 4 hours. Looks like it got through a full pass, and then almost through a second with no errors. Can we agree that its not likely to be the RAM at this point, and is probably due to me running a bleeding edge proc on a Linux kernel that doesn't have full support for it?

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
So I (sorta) took your advice and pulled it offline to run memtest. I let it run for about 4 hours. Looks like it got through a full pass, and then almost through a second with no errors. Can we agree that its not likely to be the RAM at this point, and is probably due to me running a bleeding edge proc on a Linux kernel that doesn't have full support for it?
Yes :) ill quit harassing you about ram.

• Love
You may not need this, or have already seen it, but this guy listed his process at the end of the post.

So I think I've got it building with menuconfig. I'll do it again to make sure, and write down what I did.

That guy is close to having it done the easy way, I don't know why he's bothering to manually edit the config.

• Gravy