Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Not sure how many of you are Sysadmins or know of any. Extremely dangerous vulnerability found in Microsoft DNS service. Allows full remote code exploit. Very easy to be wormable. Workaround and patches are available now. *this is no joke*

I bet some of the state sponsored hacking groups are pissed this got out.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
Not sure if I mentioned this, but last month when I was out stargazing with friends, we're now noticing a shitton of satellites. Probably a good portion are Starlink. And they're not in that close train anymore. They've spread out. Still seems like obvious gaps in coverage though. So obviously needs more satellite launches. Supposedly beta in December. Should be interesting.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but last month when I was out stargazing with friends, we're now noticing a shitton of satellites. Probably a good portion are Starlink. And they're not in that close train anymore. They've spread out. Still seems like obvious gaps in coverage though. So obviously needs more satellite launches. Supposedly beta in December. Should be interesting.
I assumed you would be more read on this than anyone, but yeah - they are designed to spread out as they move up into their actual orbit. The 'train' starts to go away after a couple of days. The newest versions have sunshades, so hopefully you don't notice those ones as much.

I assumed you would be more read on this than anyone, but yeah - they are designed to spread out as they move up into their actual orbit. The 'train' starts to go away after a couple of days. The newest versions have sunshades, so hopefully you don't notice those ones as much.
Well I thought it would take longer for the satellites to reach their parking orbit (and spread out). Seems like it takes like a month or so, maybe less. Just my general observations. Curious to see how ruined astrophotography (and professional scientific measurements) will be once a good portion of the Starlink satellites have launched. Then you have Blue Origin who may be doing the same thing (I haven't kept up with their news releases).

Well I thought it would take longer for the satellites to reach their parking orbit (and spread out). Seems like it takes like a month or so, maybe less. Just my general observations. Curious to see how ruined astrophotography (and professional scientific measurements) will be once a good portion of the Starlink satellites have launched. Then you have Blue Origin who may be doing the same thing (I haven't kept up with their news releases).
I was able to see a train that was (IIRC) a couple of days old, and they were pretty far apart in the sky already. As in, I could only see a couple above me.

And OneWeb just went into bankruptcy, so I think StarLink is the only real competitor in that space (PUN INTENDED!!!).

Brewery had a connectivity meltdown yesterday I think. Got an e-mail and hour and a half before close from the tasting room manager. "So, lay it all out for me".

So I gave them the $300 replace your crap and add outdoor wifi with two outdoor AP's, and by the way SEAMLESS ROAMING.

And another option for no money where we could try and make the older Unifi 2.4ghz outdoor AP we don't use anymore work by itself and somehow cover everything.

That was at 8am this morning.

They're now ordering the stuff for the $300 option. I'm going to bring the older outdoor AP too, might be useful for them.

I think it was the seamless roaming that sold them.

They have the indoor wifi, and two or three hotspots. So the servers are futzing with the iPads while they're trying to close tabs with the customers.

I wouldn't even bother with your old stuff. They aren't going to actually hear you say, "This is older and might not work as well." All they will remember is that the shit broke, or wasn't flawless. I know you're just trying to help, but they now will have a specific person to blame it on when things don't go well. So make sure that they spend the proper amount of money.

That's been my experience anyway. No matter how nice they are.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
Starlink ground stations mapped on Google Earth. One of which will be in northern Maine. I'm fairly certain they will have direct access to fiber backhauls from there.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I wouldn't even bother with your old stuff. They aren't going to actually hear you say, "This is older and might not work as well." All they will remember is that the shit broke, or wasn't flawless. I know you're just trying to help, but they now will have a specific person to blame it on when things don't go well. So make sure that they spend the proper amount of money.

That's been my experience anyway. No matter how nice they are.
yeah.... i get where valve is coming from, but he's setting himself up in a risky role where he might actually assume some liability should the new setup "break" and cost them revenue or something. Id bow out at this point if I were him