Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Might make a decent low power fileserver, if its SATA controller supports port multipliers or you hack a proper RAID controller onto the Mini-PCIe slot.

Or it might make a decent emulation box, some people have managed to get retropie running on it, but it looks easier to just go with a Pi4 or an old x86 machine.

shrug.

How the fuck do two laptops on the same power strip make a fucking ground loop?

I get a little tingle every time I brush my 2013 Macbook Pro when I've also got my fingers on my work 2019 Macbook Pro.

I get a little tingle every time I brush my 2013 Macbook Pro when I've also got my fingers on my work 2019 Macbook Pro.
when the power strip ground... isnt ground

Try using a comb - brushes create too much static electricity.

And what that other guy said.

Because Apple makes really big dumbfuck electrical decisions from time to time.

If either of them look like this, and are plugged in with a 2-wire power cord, change the cords to 3-wire and it'll go away.

jx9fs.jpg

If you plug these in with a 2-prong power cord, the chassis of your laptop floats at ~60VAC relative to ground, but at a current that's limited to a value considered "safe" according to safety rules... that's the tingle you're getting.

This is by design, and it's because Apple tried to make a single power supply work with both 2-prong and 3-prong power standards.

If either of them look like this, and are plugged in with a 2-wire power cord, change the cords to 3-wire and it'll go away.

jx9fs.jpg

If you plug these in with a 2-prong power cord, the chassis of your laptop floats at ~60VAC relative to ground, but at a current that's limited to a value considered "safe" according to safety rules... that's the tingle you're getting.

This is by design, and it's because Apple tried to make a single power supply work with both 2-prong and 3-prong power standards.
sho nuff, the 2013 is plugged in with the 2 prong dealie.

jx9fs.jpg

what the everliving fuck.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly

jx9fs.jpg

I put the 3-prong cable on the one that had a 2-prong corner today, and no more tingle.

You've made me a FULLY ERECT man today.

What's the best stereo system for metal? There's a huge trend of shitty little Bluetooth speakers that just don't do quality music justice.

Whoever decided that the way to check the status of my batch on the allocation I requested on this GPU/Power9 machine should be by running "bjobs" deserves both congratulations and a stern talking to.

Whoever decided that the way to check the status of my batch on the allocation I requested on this GPU/Power9 machine should be by running "bjobs" deserves both congratulations and a stern talking to.
What if you want to do a batch linear optimized job.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum