Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

One our favorite farm breweries, that we've also supported this year through and "Extended Family" fundraiser type deal, has pivoted to outdoor only seating, on the lovely horse farm property.

Only problem is cell service fucking blows. The Wifi in the tasting room, complete with crusty AP mounted to the corrugated metal roof used for the ceiling, also blows, and certainly doesn't escape the metal sided building.

The WiFi sucking is a running joke.

To get the iPad Square terminals working, mostly, out in the seating area, they bought LTE Wifi hotspots, that they're using up all the date on rapidly. And they don't even cover the whole seating area.

I offered to help them install some new WiFi gear, inside and out, so they can stop paying a monthly fee for those hotspots.

Figured one new Ubiquiti IniFi AP AC-Lite in the tasting room, mounted properly, and two Ubiquiti UniFi AP-M outdoor units mounted to the outside of the building would do nicely. And be only about $300 on their end.

Then I'll load the UniFi controller software on a Raspberry Pi, so the Guest Network Portal and isolation can be enabled.

Almost all of the food trucks that come do online ordering so people aren't standing in line.

The brewery also has a QR code at every table to bring up the beer and food menus so no one is handling anything that can spread the Covid.

Im going to have to change the DHCP server on whatever gateway they've got from the likely 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 to something broader to accommodate guest devices. And limit guest device bandwidth.

@Josh How much of a dummy am I being?
the unifi ap-m's suuuuuuck. their range is miserable and theyre ridiculously picky about placement.

We need dimensions to better judge coverage. Do they have power at the ap locations? How about network?

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
the unifi ap-m's suuuuuuck. their range is miserable and theyre ridiculously picky about placement.

We need dimensions to better judge coverage. Do they have power at the ap locations? How about network?

I have two of them, they work well. One by the garage, and one for the backyard.

Do you have any of them?

New cabling will be run for the outdoor AP's.

I have two of them, they work well. One by the garage, and one for the backyard.

Do you have any of them?

New cabling will be run for the outdoor AP's.
yes, i have two as well. they uplink just fine, but connectivity is a major major issue. I was down at -75 dbM less than 20 feet away until i got it positioned precisely right. Like an inch difference in placement completely trashes the signal. Nearby bands are clear too

yes, i have two as well. they uplink just fine, but connectivity is a major major issue. I was down at -75 dbM less than 20 feet away until i got it positioned precisely right. Like an inch difference in placement completely trashes the signal. Nearby bands are clear too

I haven't experienced anything like that.

And the unit that's outside the garage door covers our cul-de-sac too quite well.

One our favorite farm breweries, that we've also supported this year through and "Extended Family" fundraiser type deal, has pivoted to outdoor only seating, on the lovely horse farm property.

Only problem is cell service fucking blows. The Wifi in the tasting room, complete with crusty AP mounted to the corrugated metal roof used for the ceiling, also blows, and certainly doesn't escape the metal sided building.

The WiFi sucking is a running joke.

To get the iPad Square terminals working, mostly, out in the seating area, they bought LTE Wifi hotspots, that they're using up all the date on rapidly. And they don't even cover the whole seating area.

I offered to help them install some new WiFi gear, inside and out, so they can stop paying a monthly fee for those hotspots.

Figured one new Ubiquiti IniFi AP AC-Lite in the tasting room, mounted properly, and two Ubiquiti UniFi AP-M outdoor units mounted to the outside of the building would do nicely. And be only about $300 on their end.

Then I'll load the UniFi controller software on a Raspberry Pi, so the Guest Network Portal and isolation can be enabled.

Almost all of the food trucks that come do online ordering so people aren't standing in line.

The brewery also has a QR code at every table to bring up the beer and food menus so no one is handling anything that can spread the Covid.

Im going to have to change the DHCP server on whatever gateway they've got from the likely 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 to something broader to accommodate guest devices. And limit guest device bandwidth.

@Josh How much of a dummy am I being?
I'd go with the AC-PROs for inside installs. That's all that I install. Although their new Wave2 AC ones are now out I believe. AP-M should be fine depending on how you mount it. You can get external antennas that would be better coverage, like a couple of sectors. Use shielded outdoor cable, shielded end connectors, and 2 Ubiquiti surge arrestors (one at the device, and one inside the building) to protect the equipment. Bond to the electrical ground point.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Valve1138
I'm going to be doing an outdoor wireless link project at a prison in the next couple of weeks. Went there yesterday for the final walkthrough with the onsite maintenance man who is getting the electrician to install ground points, do all of the drilling through concrete, install conduit, etc. Will make my job a lot easier.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
I'd go with the AC-PROs for inside installs. That's all that I install. Although their new Wave2 AC ones are now out I believe. AP-M should be fine depending on how you mount it. You can get external antennas that would be better coverage, like a couple of sectors. Use shielded outdoor cable, shielded end connectors, and 2 Ubiquiti surge arrestors (one at the device, and one inside the building) to protect the equipment. Bond to the electrical ground point.

Ok. I’ll have to see what, if any budget they have.

I was gonna trade labor and materials like wire, jacks, zip ties and shit, for beer.

I have cat 6 UTP indoor and outdoor cable already.

We’re stopping in tomorrow night. I’ll see if they bring it up.

Went to the brewery yesterday, they were having problems with OpenTable because LTE Hotspot they leave in a tree wasn't reaching the parking lot entrance.

We get in and can't load up the menu because no LTE of WiFi.

Two of the owners were there having meeting. Did either stop by after to ask about saving them monthly fee's on the 2 hotspots they pay monthly for?

Nope.

Last edited:
Went to the brewery yesterday, they were having problems with OpenTable because LTE Hotspot they leave in a tree wasn't reaching the parking lot entrance.

We get in and can't load up the menu because no LTE of WiFi.

Two of the owners were there having meeting. Did either stop by after to ask about saving them monthly fee's on the 2 hotspots they pay monthly for?

Nope.
Remember, these are business owners with 17,000 things to juggle (and likely 0% IT knowledge). While it's clearly important, sometimes its really hard to see the important trees through the forest when you're knee deep in it.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and gee
How about $$$ flying out the door.
You've read Bourdain's books right? Restaurants are fucking crazy places. You never know. They could have just had three people quit, the plumbing backup while an inspector was there, and be required to appease Karen because her IPA wasn't hoppy enough. Wifi goes way down on that list. Or maybe they're just dumb who knows, but I'm guessing its the latter.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
You've read Bourdain's books right? Restaurants are fucking crazy places. You never know. They could have just had three people quit, the plumbing backup while an inspector was there, and be required to appease Karen because her IPA wasn't hoppy enough. Wifi goes way down on that list. Or maybe they're just dumb who knows, but I'm guessing its the latter.

:iono:

I offered to help, it's their problem if they want to keep paying a monthly fee for LTE hotspots that barely function and they run out of data on.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that we'll show up and there's a WRT-54g hanging out the window of the tasting room one day.

• Haha
Reactions: Josh
Not sure how many of you are Sysadmins or know of any. Extremely dangerous vulnerability found in Microsoft DNS service. Allows full remote code exploit. Very easy to be wormable. Workaround and patches are available now. *this is no joke*

• Gravy
Reactions: fly