Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

I wouldn't even bother with your old stuff. They aren't going to actually hear you say, "This is older and might not work as well." All they will remember is that the shit broke, or wasn't flawless. I know you're just trying to help, but they now will have a specific person to blame it on when things don't go well. So make sure that they spend the proper amount of money.

That's been my experience anyway. No matter how nice they are.

Most definitely.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Finished up the brew farm wifi.

Everything works, and reaches all the points on the property it needs to. Shit is noticeably snappier. It was always a little fucky, even when no one was there.

It had been a running joke since they opened 5 years ago that the wifi was bad.

They were excited. They're going to be outdoor only as long as they can be.

I had said I'd trade services for a couple 4 packs, they gave me a $100 gift card and a four pack.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
Finished up the brew farm wifi.

Everything works, and reaches all the points on the property it needs to. Shit is noticeably snappier. It was always a little fucky, even when no one was there.

It had been a running joke since they opened 5 years ago that the wifi was bad.

They were excited. They're going to be outdoor only as long as they can be.

I had said I'd trade services for a couple 4 packs, they gave me a $100 gift card and a four pack.
theyre gonna sue you in 5 months when the cleaner unplugs an AP and their customers complain

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Josh
Azure(Microsoft) web hosting. Anyone familiar?
The company(jerb) is moving our Wordpress site from a Linux box to Azure. I don't like it.
*Secretly hoping it blows big time so I can grind their nuts.

Azure is fine. reliable, as simple or powerful as you need it to be.

The whole azure datacenter backend is *nix anyway, so you're really nto changing anything

• Haha
Azure is fine. reliable, as simple or powerful as you need it to be.

The whole azure datacenter backend is *nix anyway, so you're really nto changing anything
IDK - it's taken 2 Microsoft "engineers" 3 weeks to move it(well, still haven't deployed). That's an under 1 hour job with maybe another to attend to the email accounts,etc. They were condescending dicks and if their sandbox is any indication, the site is gonna be slow AF. I did speed test on current, their SB and a copy of the site I have running on MY hosting. I'm fully loading in 5.2 seconds(huge homepage). Their SB is pulling up in 12.9. Ugg. feels.so.slow.
*My boss is related to one of the MS guys so that's why we went that way.

IDK - it's taken 2 Microsoft "engineers" 3 weeks to move it(well, still haven't deployed). That's an under 1 hour job with maybe another to attend to the email accounts,etc. They were condescending dicks and if their sandbox is any indication, the site is gonna be slow AF. I did speed test on current, their SB and a copy of the site I have running on MY hosting. I'm fully loading in 5.2 seconds(huge homepage). Their SB is pulling up in 12.9. Ugg. feels.so.slow.

You should go relax at a beer farm. I know a good place with free WiFi.

• Haha
3 weeks to move a site? Lol are they Russian?

• Gravy
3 weeks to move a site? Lol are they Russian?
Worse, they work for Microsoft.
Wait till you get the bill for Azure. Most convoluted thing you've ever read.

Agreed.
I tried to warn them, just got me a beat-down that I wasn't being a team player. I ran the numbers, it's going to cost them $70+ a month for what could be accomplished just fine on a Linux box for $12-15/month. 30k visitors monthly really isn't heavy use.
meh, probably going to give my 2 weeks today. I've lost interest in their mission and the wife supports the idea.

Worse, they work for Microsoft.
Agreed.
I tried to warn them, just got me a beat-down that I wasn't being a team player. I ran the numbers, it's going to cost them $70+ a month for what could be accomplished just fine on a Linux box for $12-15/month. 30k visitors monthly really isn't heavy use.
meh, probably going to give my 2 weeks today. I've lost interest in their mission and the wife supports the idea.
For that you can just use shared hosting for Christ's sake.

• Gravy
For that you can just use shared hosting for Christ's sake.
Funny thing is, they are already PAYING for a shared plan that would more than cover their needs. Their previous web guy was hosting their site and started getting bitchy with my boss. I knew the dudes has a rep for just summarily shutting people down so I grabbed a backup and put it on a temporary domain on some other hosting they already have. Hosting I already built them a different fucking website on for ANOTHER business venture of theirs. It's incredibly dumb. Complete exercise in futility. But hey, these guys piss money away on the stupidest stuff. They paid $10k for a 7-8 page website with 6 products -a glorified user interface and not much more. FFS!. The prior webtards didn't even START into a shipping system, didn't finish up setting up the credit card processor, their distributor system, their Affiliate system. They cried bloody fucking murder when I gave them my bill for about $3500 for that shit.

Double dumb - they blew over $1000 on Youtube, weren't getting any clicks. I needed to put up some video on their site and took a look at the YouTubes. FFS - nobody had put in a link for viewers to click. Come'on kids, first item in the YT description - always.