Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Fucking Russians are just god damned criminals.

https://arstechnica.com/information...es-traffic-for-big-name-sites-through-russia/

Traffic sent to and from Google, Facebook, Apple, and Microsoft was briefly routed through a previously unknown Russian Internet provider Wednesday under circumstances researchers said was suspicious and intentional.

The unexplained incident involving the Internet's Border Gateway Protocol is the latest to raise troubling questions about the trust and reliability of communications sent over the global network.

FURTHER READING
Russian-controlled telecom hijacks financial services’ Internet traffic
Wednesday's event comes eight months after large chunks of network traffic belonging to MasterCard, Visa, and more than two dozen other financial services were briefly routed through a Russian government-controlled telecom, also under suspicious circumstances.

I'm surprised it took this long. Remember when Pakistan accidentally killed youtube for a few hours because they wanted to block it for the whole country so they advertised a null route?

A number of people are working on ways to incorporate blockchains into BGP to help with this

• Gravy
Reactions: Duke
I'm surprised it took this long. Remember when Pakistan accidentally killed youtube for a few hours because they wanted to block it for the whole country so they advertised a null route?

A number of people are working on ways to incorporate blockchains into BGP to help with this
I don't remember that but :lol:

How the fuck does that happen?

You running it on DOS?
I'm not really sure. It had been crashing over the last couple of days randomly. I looked in the logs and saw a ton of 'waiting for database' errors. Did an export/drop/import and things seem to be fine.

ibplattersareforpoors

Gettign some new unifi gear setup at home. Very user friendly and shiny... but i get an apple-ey feel from it. Lots of locked out features unless you pay for them, only works right with other unifi gear, etc

This is as compared to my mikrotik gear that you need to have a unix-admin level greybeard to admin.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Gettign some new unifi gear setup at home. Very user friendly and shiny... but i get an apple-ey feel from it. Lots of locked out features unless you pay for them, only works right with other unifi gear, etc

This is as compared to my mikrotik gear that you need to have a unix-admin level greybeard to admin.

The mesh stuff?

My ubiquity ap’s have nothing locked out.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
The mesh stuff?

My ubiquity ap’s have nothing locked out.
+1. I've worked with USG, UniFi APs, UniFi Switches, and EdgeSwitches. Nothing locked out needing to pay for. The very slight annoyance with the UniFi line is requiring a controller somewhere (or a cloudkey) to manage the products. Absolutely no web interface on the local UniFi devices. Use the Edge products if you do not want cloud controlled devices. UBNT has a paid online cloud controller service that has some perks, but not really worth it for me or my clients.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138