Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Companies that design windows into embedded equipment can fuck off.

We had a spectrum analyzer popping up "ur shit is fucked, download pc cleaner deluxe by clicking OK" bullshit at my last job.

A lot of radiation oncology systems run on a windows OS. It does make things a lot easier to manage and if your network engineer is worth his shit he can lock down critical systems like that from any web browsing that isn't vendor software update related. It made our managing of a nationwide collection of radonc clinics a lot more feasible without onsite support stationed in each region. A lot of CTs and other imaging systems are going that way too, even though the defacto standard on those is still custom *nix shells.

Last edited:
running the LTSB version of windows 10 is totally worth it. no cortana or app store, feature updates aren't just deferred but stopped entirely, no forced reboots, and you get all the enterprise level control over telemetry and data collection

dWc8bpY.png

this sounds excellent. I was not aware this was a thing.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
So, the new PC sure makes things look pretty

Damn, that screenshot just does not do it justice. Anyway, all settings maxxed. Time to load some other stuff and see what it can do.

u4HMFVR.jpg

I missed your post, whadtd ya end up getting? Also, what happened to your old parts?

A lot of radiation oncology systems run on a windows OS. It does make things a lot easier to manage and if your network engineer is worth his shit he can lock down critical systems like that from any web browsing that isn't vendor software update related. It made our managing of a nationwide collection of radonc clinics a lot more feasible without onsite support stationed in each region. A lot of CTs and other imaging systems are going that way too, even though the defacto standard on those is still custom *nix shells.
Modified opinion: companies that design windows into embedded equipment, in such a way that you can't update the windows install or do any other maintenance on it that you'd ordinary do with a windows desktop or server or whatever, can fuck off.

When our spectrum analyzer got taken over by malware, Tektronix's solution was "order a new hard drive from us". We were pissed.

Modified opinion: companies that design windows into embedded equipment, in such a way that you can't update the windows install or do any other maintenance on it that you'd ordinary do with a windows desktop or server or whatever, can fuck off.

When our spectrum analyzer got taken over by malware, Tektronix's solution was "order a new hard drive from us". We were pissed.

That;'s fair. 'Order a new hard drive' as a solution for specialty equipment is bogus bullshit profiteering.

I missed your post, whadtd ya end up getting? Also, what happened to your old parts?

Intel Core i5-7600K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.8 GHz
ASRock Z270 KILLER SLI/AC LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz
PNY CS1311 2.5" 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
plus a coolermaster CPU cooler and some other odds and ends. Kept the Cm HAF 922 case, Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus - 700W Power Supply, and the other drives. Also bought a K272HUL 27" WQHD 2560 x 1440 (2K) IPS 4ms (GTG) Black LED Backlight LCD Monitor because my old monitor PS fried, but I'm going to go on net and see if there isn't some reset trick to bring it back to life, but there were symptoms leading up to the death so I wouldn't be surprised if some random PCB crapped out inside it. The whole system was being symptomatic since I bought the GTX 1060 a few months back.

The existing MB lost it's PCI-E slot, but it has onboard video plus the CPU is an AMD LLano so it has an embedded GPU so it'll function well as a MB/CPU for a storage server. I've now got a GTX 680 that I have no use for, + 8GB of DDR3 ram (keeping the other 16GB for the storage server when I built it).

Fucking Russians are just god damned criminals.

https://arstechnica.com/information...es-traffic-for-big-name-sites-through-russia/

Traffic sent to and from Google, Facebook, Apple, and Microsoft was briefly routed through a previously unknown Russian Internet provider Wednesday under circumstances researchers said was suspicious and intentional.

The unexplained incident involving the Internet's Border Gateway Protocol is the latest to raise troubling questions about the trust and reliability of communications sent over the global network.

FURTHER READING
Russian-controlled telecom hijacks financial services’ Internet traffic
Wednesday's event comes eight months after large chunks of network traffic belonging to MasterCard, Visa, and more than two dozen other financial services were briefly routed through a Russian government-controlled telecom, also under suspicious circumstances.