Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

+1. I've worked with USG, UniFi APs, UniFi Switches, and EdgeSwitches. Nothing locked out needing to pay for. The very slight annoyance with the UniFi line is requiring a controller somewhere (or a cloudkey) to manage the products. Absolutely no web interface on the local UniFi devices. Use the Edge products if you do not want cloud controlled devices. UBNT has a paid online cloud controller service that has some perks, but not really worth it for me or my clients.

I went with a cloudkey for simplicity.

This crap

xLAC52l.png

Almost every feature is locked out.

hello my computer-electronics brethren

got a bunch of smart outlets, would love to use one on the power bar that runs all the equipment on my desk (studio monitors, usb interface, preamps, etc) but feel like it'd be really unhealthy to leave those all switched on and turn them on/off at the outlet. what's the danger like in that?

it really would be the most useful place to have the plug, I mean I gotta hit about 10 switches all over the desk each time I sit down to get everything up and running.

got a bunch of smart outlets, would love to use one on the power bar that runs all the equipment on my desk (studio monitors, usb interface, preamps, etc) but feel like it'd be really unhealthy to leave those all switched on and turn them on/off at the outlet. what's the danger like in that?

it really would be the most useful place to have the plug, I mean I gotta hit about 10 switches all over the desk each time I sit down to get everything up and running.
Seems like it should be fine to me, but I suppose we should have @gee chime in.

• Gravy
Reactions: definitely and Duke
Seems like it should be fine to me, but I suppose we should have @gee chime in.

I'm running most of these from a 7-outlet belkin surge protector, so I'd have the smart plug on the wall outlet controlling the strip. I feel like the surge protector being the last step in the chain would prevent any problems with surges on power-up, but it's also a few grand in equipment so I figured I'd be safe and ask.

Shouldn't be any issue having a smart outlet switching a power bar worth of equipment, provided all the equipment doesn't exceed the smart outlet's capacity.

Yo @fly, between the Ryzen cpu and 1050ti GPU in the new Plex server, it's taking 720P half hour shows and optimizing them for mobile in a minute or less per episode. :eek:
I can't even get any of the hardware transcoding shit to work. Grrrr. Sadly, using a graphics card would be useless for me, since it can only do two streams. Intel's is unlimited...

I can't even get any of the hardware transcoding shit to work. Grrrr. Sadly, using a graphics card would be useless for me, since it can only do two streams. Intel's is unlimited...

Looking at the performance manager it looks like it’s using both CPU and GPU.

:iono:

I should probably see what’s actually going on. Plex did this all automatically.