Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

There is a ST thermostat app that allows you to use a remote temperature sensor. Maybe you can find something similar?

ecobee 3 works just fine with openhab.

Also, every motion sensor out there gets temp data too.

There is a ST thermostat app that allows you to use a remote temperature sensor. Maybe you can find something similar?
There's a host of dumb shit I should probably be doing before that.

But first, I need a one-gang two-relay wireless unit, since the swamp cooler's two (actually three, but one of 'em's a hackey time-based thing that switches the blower speed between low and high) circuits - pump and blower.

Don't those require a good bit of water, something else which is lacking? (I know next to nothing about them, but will Google after this post.)
Enthalpy of vaporization of water at 25C is around 44KJ/mol, or about 2.44MJ/L.
Average toilet flush with a modern toilet is about 6L, which is equivalent to about 14.6 MJ, or 4.06 kWh of heat removal, which is about equivalent to running a 13800 BTU air conditioner for an hour.
Assuming that air conditioner pulls about 900W when it's running based on a quick google, it's burning about 120g/hour of coal at a coil-fired power plant.

If you're running an AC unit off renewable energy, obviously it's better. But I'd pick the swamp cooler over a grid-powered AC unit from an environmental perspective.

Enthalpy of vaporization of water at 25C is around 44KJ/mol, or about 2.44MJ/L.
Average toilet flush with a modern toilet is about 6L, which is equivalent to about 14.6 MJ, or 4.06 kWh of heat removal, which is about equivalent to running a 13800 BTU air conditioner for an hour.
Assuming that air conditioner pulls about 900W when it's running based on a quick google, it's burning about 120g/hour of coal at a coil-fired power plant.

If you're running an AC unit off renewable energy, obviously it's better. But I'd pick the swamp cooler over a grid-powered AC unit from an environmental perspective.
Fuck off @gee

• Gravy
Reactions: gee
I can see it both ways.

You're right, it's wasting water, especially if I don't run a graywater cistern for the water cycling (you can't just add, you have to cycle the water through or it'll get stanky and full of mold).

On the other hand, this isn't Arrakis, and despite the criminally insane and complicated water rights laws around here, we're not actually (according to the gov't propaganda) depleting the water table. In fact, the water utility authority just filed for a 5% rate hike on account of residents were conserving so effectively that their revenue year on year was down, and they need some more to maintain the physical plant.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly