Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Ok, I have a friend who needs to connect some ancient machinery to a computer for monitoring. It requires a RS-232 with a custom pinout and over time the block inside the housing had broken.

Anyone know where to get the connection block? Does anyone sell unassembled 232 connectors anymore?
even amazon has unassembled RS-232s. theyre surprisingly common even in this day and age.

i am surprised at this. The eastern frozen north i grew up in was very monochromatic.

MN had a large population of Hispanics (farming country. Midwest, originally migrant workers now settled in as locals) and, oddly, a large hmong population that chose MN of all places to move too after the Vietnamese boat lift.

Anyone seen those ZWave HVAC vents? So fucking expensive. I need them so that I can balance this house. My office is usually about 3F warmer than everything else and its annoying AF.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Anyone seen those ZWave HVAC vents? So fucking expensive. I need them so that I can balance this house. My office is usually about 3F warmer than everything else and its annoying AF.
Can you use an actuated damper to better effect?

I'm also moderately curious how you've fed room temperature data back to whoever's computer you use as an automation hub.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Can you use an actuated damper to better effect?

I'm also moderately curious how you've fed room temperature data back to whoever's computer you use as an automation hub.

that should work. Also, just properly balancing it with permanent dampers should work too. If the office is warmer, consistently, because the PCs running, you need to account for that and allow slightly more airflow into the room (or slightly less to the other rooms)

Its a pretty fixed scenario, i dont see the need for dynamic damper changes.

that should work. Also, just properly balancing it with permanent dampers should work too. If the office is warmer, consistently, because the PCs running, you need to account for that and allow slightly more airflow into the room (or slightly less to the other rooms)

Its a pretty fixed scenario, i dont see the need for dynamic damper changes.
You're thinking too small. Here's another scenario. We're hosting 10+ people in the house. The main living area (where the thermostat is) heats up more than the rest of the place. Now the rooms are ice cold. There are tons of use cases for this. Of course none of it is necessary, but it sure would be nice.

Xiaomi has these cute little temp/humidity sensors. About the size of a quarter and like $8. And if I had the vents, the ST communitiy has an app for it...

edit: Linked the wrong one
https://community.smartthings.com/t...control-with-system-wide-zone-balancing/59739
That's about half of what I would want. I also would add automated exhaust vents, since I'm using a swamp cooler system.

However, I could get to about a 90% solution by just moving the fukn' thermostat for the swamper upstairs.

That's about half of what I need. I also need automated exhaust vents, since I'm using a swamp cooler system.

However, I could get to about a 90% solution by just moving the fukn' thermostat for the swamper upstairs.
There is a ST thermostat app that allows you to use a remote temperature sensor. Maybe you can find something similar?

You're thinking too small. Here's another scenario. We're hosting 10+ people in the house. The main living area (where the thermostat is) heats up more than the rest of the place. Now the rooms are ice cold. There are tons of use cases for this. Of course none of it is necessary, but it sure would be nice.

i solve that by not having people in my house, or using ac :D