Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is NPR any good there?
From my perspective, as someone who believes that reality has a somewhat liberal tendency, yeah, NPR is pretty good.

If you ask someone who voted for Trump or typically identifies as Republican, they're a bunch of librul snowflakes with an axe to grind who couldn't make it at a profitable corporate station.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
From my perspective, as someone who believes that reality has a somewhat liberal tendency, yeah, NPR is pretty good.

If you ask someone who voted for Trump or typically identifies as Republican, they're a bunch of librul snowflakes with an axe to grind who couldn't make it at a profitable corporate station.
Yeah those idiots are fed those lines from corporate assholes trying to influence voting for their own benefit.

I watch probably more PBS (including the news hour) than the other main broadcast channels combined, and am far from "Liberal" (capital L) in some respects. I enjoy it and think it's good tv. Yes there's a left bent to some things and that's ok.

I also enjoy that they actually talk about things in some kind of depth and in normal voices.
Haven't watched cable news (any channel) in years. It's just people yelling over each other and ADD can't stay on topic and flashy graphics and sounds effects and the whole damn thing will drive you nuts if you're not already.

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas and adi
The BBC has kind of shit the bed and become crap of late. The Tories refuse to he interviewed by them because they don't want any criticism and I think one of their best mates got a head job there so it's wishy washy and not informative at all any more
I guess but joe’s gonna have to put out

There are four possiblities.
You can:
obey the law without believing in the underlying moral concept that brought the law into place.
break the law without believing in the underlying moral concept that brought the law into place.
obey a law where you DO believe/agree with the moral concept it represents.
break a law where you DO believe/agree with the moral concept it represents.

You don't need a moral compass to not break the law.
I agree.

That isn't a reason why a law stops anyone. Codifying the social contract isn't going to stop someone who was going to break it stop. They have already decided to do whatever, writing down that it is bad isn't going to stop them.

Look we're arguing deterrence theory, i.e. the severity of the punishment outweighs the gain. The caveat is always it's more effective when people don't expect to get caught. Also we have rolled back severity of punishment alot. Felony theft in MD is 1500$ in one go. Anything under that is a $500 ticket max. If you get away with a grand and pay $500 ticket (usually gets reduced), wow that's 500$ and that's only if you get caught.

My opinion: Underlying principles are more important than actual laws. Stealing shit never occurred to me as an option until I saw hundreds of people getting away with it and I still can't do it. It's just wrong. I was homeless for a long time. I'm know what to do to steal shit successfully, I am more educated about locks than most locksmiths. I still never did anything wrong or "illegal."

Law abiding is a state of mind not something that exists because there are laws.

Also I love NPR. I've listened to NPR since I was a kid.

Except when they talk about guns. It's painfully ignorant. Luckily doesn't happen often. The first covid-19 reports were from them in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.