Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha.
"You guys wanna play grabass, I'll play grabass" - Bloomberg

Passing laws to protect people from other people's actions isn't political, it's called "living in a functioning fucking society"
Laws never protected a goddamn person in the history of the universe.

We should be the safest society on the planet. We literally have an uncountable number of of laws. I don't remember the exact quote but if you import any fish or wildlife or are involved in a conspiracy to import any fish or wildlife in contravention of the laws of the laws of the United States or a foreign state you are guilty of of a felony and facing 10 years in prison...

There are over 5000 volumes of rules incorporated into law in the federal register. This doesn't include local laws, like the town I used to live in any vehicle travelling over 15 mph needed a flagman 100 yds in front to warn carriages you would be passing. They did write tickets for it if you mouthed off. Adultery is a misdemenor in NY. And they do prosecute.

Totes stops people.

I can't tell if you're laughing with me or at me.

I see it everyday but law is what happens after it's done. Telling people they can't do something is spitting into the wind.

I realise this is a larger topic but...

Laws never protected a goddamn person in the history of the universe.

We should be the safest society on the planet. We literally have an uncountable number of of laws. I don't remember the exact quote but if you import any fish or wildlife or are involved in a conspiracy to import any fish or wildlife in contravention of the laws of the laws of the United States or a foreign state you are guilty of of a felony and facing 10 years in prison...

There are over 5000 volumes of rules incorporated into law in the federal register. This doesn't include local laws, like the town I used to live in any vehicle travelling over 15 mph needed a flagman 100 yds in front to warn carriages you would be passing. They did write tickets for it if you mouthed off. Adultery is a misdemenor in NY. And they do prosecute.

Totes stops people.
You've given up friend - you need different work. Laws stop people all the time, they think "hmm, this could get me in big trouble, guess I will not do this." Theft averted - nobody got protected. Rape averted - someone got protected. Or maybe in both cases the prospective criminal protected themselves? Ostensibly the only reasons we need law enforcement and security personnel is some people don't know the law and some people know but choose to disregard it ?

You've given up friend - you need different work. Laws stop people all the time, they think "hmm, this could get me in big trouble, guess I will not do this." Theft averted - nobody got protected. Rape averted - someone got protected. Or maybe in both cases the prospective criminal protected themselves? Ostensibly the only reasons we need law enforcement and security personnel is some people don't know the law and some people know but choose to disregard it ?
Yet another time on UF where the most simple basic fundamental shit needs to be spoon fed.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
People who follow the law were going to anyway.

Ignorance is not an excuse. Enforcement is because people don't, they were going to attempt to achieve their objective regardless.

People who follow the law were going to anyway.

Ignorance is not an excuse. Enforcement is because people don't, they were going to attempt to achieve their objective regardless.
Totally disagree - I would break all sorts of laws "but for". I HAVE broken a few laws - I knew exactly how bad it could get. But there were thousands of times I stopped short. The law stopped me - or the anticipatable consequences of breaking the same.

Totally disagree - I would break all sorts of laws "but for". I HAVE broken a few laws - I knew exactly how bad it could get. But there were thousands of times I stopped short. The law stopped me - or the anticipatable consequences of breaking the same.
I would smoke weed if it were legal but the fact that I could lose my kids stops me every time. SC is ridiculous with drugs and alcohol.

You are basically arguing for religion at this point. God said not to. The government said not to. Maybe you haven't been determined enough?

Also you are probably conditioned to believe breaking the law is a moral wrong.

This is already too polarized. There's no point in talking if no one is going to listen.

• Angry
Also you are probably conditioned to believe breaking the law is a moral wrong.
Uh no. Im mainly conditioned to quite like not being in prison and throwing my life away. I dont go through red lights when its deserted, not because I think thats the right thing to do, but because of the consequences if Im caught. Morals have nothing to do with it.

• Gravy
Uh no. Im mainly conditioned to quite like not being in prison and throwing my life away. I dont go through red lights when its deserted, not because I think thats the right thing to do, but because of the consequences if Im caught. Morals have nothing to do with it.
So you assume everyone thinks like you?

Edit: Sorry I see what you're driving at but that wasn't what I was talking about. Mugging (for example) is considered locally by some groups to be "not a big deal." 'It's just some kids trying to get cash.'

Was what I meant by not having a moral stake in the law.

I don't understand it. I've talked long enough with people being arrested to understand they know what they did is illegal, well usually, they assumed they wouldn't be caught, they figure they'll be let go, and they basically dont have a moral compass.

You don't go through red lights because it's annoying. Other people basically don't see what's wrong with beating the shit out of their gf.

Point is, the law is an after the fact thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.