Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'll explain how loss prevention works for like Macy's JCPenney etc big department stores.

They make a profit on loss prevention. They aren't in the game to just prevent loss. Yes alot of inventory is insured. That just recoups inventory loss though. It doesn't pay for you to have dedicated LP.

There are "civil recovery" laws. That's why they arrest people and yes it's a full legal arrest. Once the shoplifter is identified they sue them for civil recovery, which isn't just the price of the inventory. It includes costs for maintaining the camera system, LP agents payroll, insurance, and the value of the items. You steal $10 worth of stuff from Macy's, they sue you for $1000. You can't pay it,.they sell it to a collection agency for 50¢ on the dollar and still get 500$ profit.
Christ your country is fucked. I steal a DVD from Walmart and they can sue me for the cost of their security system? Your country is setup to lube the corporate cock.

Christ your country is fucked. I steal a DVD from Walmart and they can sue me for the cost of their security system? Your country is setup to lube the corporate cock.
Don't try to steal shit. This is actually arguing wetwillies point. When the economic cost of committing the crime is higher than the benefit people will refrain.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
This doesn't happen here, and we don't have more crime than you. So it seems like their are factors at play here that you and i are completely ignorant about.

This doesn't happen here, and we don't have more crime than you. So it seems like their are factors at play here that you and i are completely ignorant about.
Tons of factors. You guys have a decent social safety net, the justice system is two steps removed from 18th century England, but you also lack large scale organized retail crime, a huge population etc. When I worked for nameless company one or our biggest losses was tow away theft. Where the theives would rent semis and tow away unhitched trailers. That's the kinda stuff where you need private police manning the yard 24/7.

So I'll explain how loss prevention works for like Macy's JCPenney etc big department stores.

They make a profit on loss prevention. They aren't in the game to just prevent loss. Yes alot of inventory is insured. That just recoups inventory loss though. It doesn't pay for you to have dedicated LP.

There are "civil recovery" laws. That's why they arrest people and yes it's a full legal arrest. Once the shoplifter is identified they sue them for civil recovery, which isn't just the price of the inventory. It includes costs for maintaining the camera system, LP agents payroll, insurance, and the value of the items. You steal $10 worth of stuff from Macy's, they sue you for $1000. You can't pay it,.they sell it to a collection agency for 50¢ on the dollar and still get 500$ profit.
Actually, first they make a civil demand. If you don't pay or negotiate it down, they might sue. It's not worth it to spend the fee and manpower to sue every turnip out there. And since it's civil they just wipe it every 7 years in bankruptcy. ;)

I like my version better. I think your version is what you are trained to tell those people you catch, whom you attempt to speak to.

Tons of factors. You guys have a decent social safety net, the justice system is two steps removed from 18th century England, but you also lack large scale organized retail crime, a huge population etc. When I worked for nameless company one or our biggest losses was tow away theft. Where the theives would rent semis and tow away unhitched trailers. That's the kinda stuff where you need private police manning the yard 24/7.
That's a whole 'nuther level of theft. They know the law, they respect the law - they just feel the stakes are high enough.

Actually, first they make a civil demand. If you don't pay or negotiate it down, they might sue. It's not worth it to spend the fee and manpower to sue every turnip out there. And since it's civil they just wipe it every 7 years in bankruptcy. ;)

I like my version better. I think your version is what you are trained to tell those people you catch, whom you attempt to speak to.
Nah you aren't supposed to tell them anything. Just sign this, it will have no bearing on criminal charges.

That's my cynical view of it. Also it's farmed out to shitty law firms. The filing fee is minimal and most go to default judgment so suing is economical.

Vagrancy is a crime in the city of Annapolis. I stayed on county territory. Also I was at work so I had a right to be there.

Cops regularly checked on me. I wouldn't call it privilege, they knew me from work so they'd hang out or bring me food.

We actually have a lot of help for the homeless here, you just gotta be sober. County cops will go above and beyond to help out people. It's paperwork economics. You give someone a ride to the shelter you don't have to write a report. You arrest them it's write a report, book them, and then the commissioner let's em go a few hours later. I never got help. I knew where to go and all but single white male doesn't qualify you for much. Best would be a shower and food. Once covid hit they stopped giving out food. You can bathe in the ocean for free.

I don't know how I lost the idea tho. I remember a couple times needing things (you need weird stuff you wouldn't normally think of when you're in a car). Like toenail scissors. I didn't want to pay but I couldn't steal them. Ended up grinding them on concrete but...
I'm glad you're better now. I had an older brother who lived out of his vehicle for a couple of years. If you're working you shouldn't be reduced to that - yes, it's an inconvenient lifestyle. But which isn't.

• Gravy
Reactions: ZRH
That's a whole 'nuther level of theft. They know the law, they respect the law - they just feel the stakes are high enough.
It's not as hard as you'd think.

The nameless company I worked for had a hard on for theives though. We had private detectives going through trash, special police etc. It wasn't secret squirrel shit either it was people stealing semi trailers full of red bull.

I'm glad you're better now. I had an older brother who lived out of his vehicle for a couple of years. If you're working you shouldn't be reduced to that - yes, it's an inconvenient lifestyle. But which isn't.
It was covid and a woman I trusted.

It was actually pretty fun before lockdown. Sleeping at Wal Mart, showering exclusively at the gym. Driving to other states cause bored.

It's not as hard as you'd think.

The nameless company I worked for had a hard on for theives though. We had private detectives going through trash, special police etc. It wasn't secret squirrel shit either it was people stealing semi trailers full of red bull.
mmmmmmm, all.that. caffeine :heart:

Yeah, people steal stupid shit. "Hey buddy, we got hot Red Bull!! 50 cents a can!! 3 for buck!"

It was covid and a woman I trusted.

It was actually pretty fun before lockdown. Sleeping at Wal Mart, showering exclusively at the gym. Driving to other states cause bored.
Inconvenient for a lot of other things. Guess it depends how often you want to rinse and repeat. I transported a vehicle a few years ago and did that for 3 days - it was a nice reminder of what a pita that is. Pass.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
8yhMLlD.jpg

So.

Trump's broke, and I've paid a hundred of times more in taxes than he did over the same period.

I am shocked. SHOCKED.

Well, not that shocked.
Was watching some of the news reporting on it today.
Might just be the funk I'm in right now, but it felt like everyone on was just going through the motions about what this could mean and what was going to happen as a result of it.

politics is fake and gay

aliens are real

nordic aliens control the planet behind the scenes do not buy into the false dialetic

ps does loon post here? i hope she fucking doesn't. she can have the [m].

also august if loon told you i'm stalking you OR her don't listen to her she's pretty but dumb

no wait she's pretty dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.