Ontopic Political Poo Flinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine, have them choose one country or the other. Dual citizenship sounds really dumb assed to me. * I remember when my gramps quit going to the Italian-American club(taking me occasionally) "fuck them, all they want to be is Italian. I'm an American!" And so we were.

Dual citizenship kinda makes some sense, at least temporarily, for military members and others who marry and start families (or start families and then marry? Or fuck it don't get married but have kids?) with people from overseas. I don't know about abolishing it but maybe put a limit on it? Like when all your paperwork is rubber stamped and all your requirements are met to become a full-fledged citizen of one country or the other you have to pick one?

As for the second part of your post, that was the attitude of a lot of immigrants back then, including mine too. They came here to make a better life and BE Americans. Not to turn it into to they place they just left because they figured it sucked bad enough to pull up roots and strike out into the unknown. Ours anyway (Germans) kept our culture in the form of food, music, dance, and definitely stubbornness, but they were all about becoming this thing called American, whatever that is. They maybe didn't really know what that is but they knew what it is not.

Like when all your paperwork is rubber stamped and all your requirements are met to become a full-fledged citizen of one country or the other you have to pick one?
You already have to do that.
To become a US citizen, you have to pledge that you renounce any allegiance to any foreign power.

It isn't enforced anywhere, so you have to do that, but it doesn't actually change anything.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
You already have to do that.
To become a US citizen, you have to pledge that you renounce any allegiance to any foreign power.

It isn't enforced anywhere, so you have to do that, but it doesn't actually change anything.

Eh. Once again I'm probably going off how it was 25 years ago. I know about renouncing allegiance. There was at that time a dual citizenship option for people who married Germans, Koreans, etc. Maybe for their kids? Maybe you had to make one a "primary"? Don't remember details but knew it could be done.

Dual citizenship kinda makes some sense, at least temporarily, for military members and others who marry and start families (or start families and then marry? Or fuck it don't get married but have kids?) with people from overseas. I don't know about abolishing it but maybe put a limit on it? Like when all your paperwork is rubber stamped and all your requirements are met to become a full-fledged citizen of one country or the other you have to pick one?

As for the second part of your post, that was the attitude of a lot of immigrants back then, including mine too. They came here to make a better life and BE Americans. Not to turn it into to they place they just left because they figured it sucked bad enough to pull up roots and strike out into the unknown. Ours anyway (Germans) kept our culture in the form of food, music, dance, and definitely stubbornness, but they were all about becoming this thing called American, whatever that is. They maybe didn't really know what that is but they knew what it is not.
Seems to me dual citizenship is giving someone a big advantage strictly due their parents moving. Re. Military personnel having a kid in another country - why have the parents check a box choosing the kids citizenship. USA or there - pick one. Ditto for people visiting on a Visa. As Asa mentioned - either renounce the other foriegn power or don't.
@HipHugHer - I had dual heritage. Mom took me to the German-American club. Had me some bad-ass lederhosen with the 20 zippers you had to pull just to take a piss. And yeah, the Germans seemed to have a different idea about being here. My Italian gramps apparently succeeded in making Americans - all 4 of his sons served in the military. In fairness to the Italians, they weren't treated nearly as nicely as say the Germans - America's largest mob lynching EVAR was of Italian Americans.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I worked with a guy, long time ago, had dual citizenship and an international drivers license. So he said. Never did think to make him prove it.
Wait ... What thread is this?
Oh shit ...

Last edited:
5d0okfm6tgc21.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel and nukes
7 bill that would be better spent on our crumbling infrastructure, joke of an education system, or our spent and ignored veterans, but, hey, gotta keep them brown people out,right?

Because a new future crumbling wall will fix all our problems. He wants it because it'll be his legacy. Like a pyramid I hope.
A stone cold tomb.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
I am fully in favor of preventing anyone who is not a citizen from obtaining any social benefits, whether it's food stamps, healthcare... whatever. If you do not legally pay into the system, you cannot legally take from the system.
I was a non-citizen resident who paid into the system. I took thousands of dollars from a foreign government and spent it all in the US. In my time over there I probably added over half a million dollars to the US economy.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
If he does do this route it would be years to even get all of the Private property for the wall. Some people would sell to the Governement but some won’t. And those will heard straight to court. The amazing part to me is that Cruz would support this. A portion of the money they would take for this is out of relief money already being used in TX still paying for the various storms and flooding.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
Fine, have them choose one country or the other. Dual citizenship sounds really dumb assed to me. * I remember when my gramps quit going to the Italian-American club(taking me occasionally) "fuck them, all they want to be is Italian. I'm an American!" And so we were.
My son has an American mother and an Australian father, and he is a dual citizen. Why should he have to pick one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.