My God, did she really say that???

wr3kt said:
It takes time to mobilize food, water, medicene, and people.
It then takes time in order to get into flooded areas with said food.

You do remember that most of NO was under 10 feet of water.

With support of this nature, it's almost impossible to work very fast.
The point is that FEMA and Homeland Security should be READY for this stuff. Food, water, meds, National Guard troops, all shold be prepositioned for the terrorist attack they keep scaring us about. It SHOULDNT take more than 24-48 hours to get boots and help on the ground.

fly said:
How is the fact that she thinks its okay for 10,000 people to live on the floor of a building helpful?
If you read the comment in context she is referring to the NO people being in Texas working out for them, not living in the dome.

:lol: OMG EVIL REPUBLIKANS

*Fuxx Burger* said:
THEY can take care of people?? Oh please, don't get me started!! Bush didn't move off his lazy ass for 5 days before he DID something....

It was up to the government of Louisiana to make the first moves with regards to evacuations, etc. That is the way our system works... sometimes it works in our favor, sometimes it doesn't. In this case, I think Bush dropped the ball by not "monitoring" the government's decisions; he should have seen the odvious signs that the Governer was not capable of decision making during an event of this magnitude.

Knowing what EVERYONE knows about New Orleans, and it's population, the National Guard should have been deployed as soon as the storm was identified as a cat 5.

fly said:
The point is that FEMA and Homeland Security should be READY for this stuff. Food, water, meds, National Guard troops, all shold be prepositioned for the terrorist attack they keep scaring us about. It SHOULDNT take more than 24-48 hours to get boots and help on the ground.
Now...I'll agree with that. Heads will roll in FEMA.

As far as the mobilization, it was fast all things considered. But yes, someone fucked up in that regard.

The main problem is everyone wants to point fingers and no one will man-up to their responsibility.

Candy said:
It was up to the government of Louisiana to make the first moves with regards to evacuations, etc. That is the way our system works... sometimes it works in our favor, sometimes it doesn't. In this case, I think Bush dropped the ball by not "monitoring" the government's decisions; he should have seen the odvious signs that the Governer was not capable of decision making during an event of this magnitude.

Knowing what EVERYONE knows about New Orleans, and it's population, the National Guard should have been deployed as soon as the storm was identified as a cat 5.

The mofo's shouldda run dammit...............that's all.

Candy said:

Nah, because if the Leveys had held and not flooded Bush would've then been ridiculed for mustering up the thousands of troops for no reason.

Candy said:

Natural instinct should have kicked in and told NO people to get the fuck out.

wr3kt said:
The numerous media and government agencies telling them to get out should have registered in their tiny little brains and told NO people to get the fuck out.

fixt

wr3kt said:
Natural instinct should have kicked in and told NO people to get the fuck out.
And you are absolutely right... And it breaks my heart to know that some people just did not have the means to do so. And unfortunatly they are the only people we are hearing about (which of course happen to be a large number of poor african americans)....

Although I did watch something interresting last night regarding why people would/will not leave, is because of their pets...

KNYTE said:
Nah, because if the Leveys had held and not flooded Bush would've then been ridiculed for mustering up the thousands of troops for no reason.
It's a lose lose situation. The mayor has to ask the governor for help, the governor has to ask for federal intervention. I think the problem was the governor not asking for federal intervention because she didn't want the impression of "Federal Martial Law" in LA. Now that there IS federal intervention, there are too many cooks in the kitchen and no clear idea who is in charge, so things are really slow. This whole procedure has a lot of kinks, but you have to keep in mind that the folks they're out rescuing now defied the mayor's manditory evacuation, now that they're out of food, out of water and have been sitting in their own stink for a week, they all want help to get out. I'm sorry but I just can't have too much sympathy and I really don't think it's appropriate to put all of the blame on Bush.

and for the record... the complete quote:

""What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality," she said.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this -- this is working very well for them.""

why_ask_why said:
fucking hysterical that he would try to appoint himself the head of the investigation into what went wrong :fly:

It's NEW ORLEANS! They are on the coast BELOW sea level. What more can I say.

zengirl said:
It's a lose lose situation. The mayor has to ask the governor for help, the governor has to ask for federal intervention. I think the problem was the governor not asking for federal intervention because she didn't want the impression of "Federal Martial Law" in LA. Now that there IS federal intervention, there are too many cooks in the kitchen and no clear idea who is in charge, so things are really slow. This whole procedure has a lot of kinks, but you have to keep in mind that the folks they're out rescuing now defied the mayor's manditory evacuation, now that they're out of food, out of water and have been sitting in their own stink for a week, they all want help to get out. I'm sorry but I just can't have too much sympathy and I really don't think it's appropriate to put all of the blame on Bush.

and for the record... the complete quote:

""What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality," she said.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this -- this is working very well for them.""

No, you are wrong. Katrina was George Bush's fault entirely. He should've gone out into the Gulf in a row boat and told Katrina to pack it up and GTFO.

wr3kt said:
What I think people fail to realize is that professional politicians and their families are oblivious to the real world.
And this is the real issue here that I don't think many people get, and it's true for all TRULY wealthy people.

People with generations of family money have really no idea how people other than themselves live from day to day.

KNYTE said:
No, you are wrong. Katrina was George Bush's fault entirely. He should've gone out into the Gulf in a row boat and told Katrina to pack it up and GTFO.
Actually I read somewhere that when he pushed the Katarina button, he was trying to aim for Kalifornia. :o With The Arnold facing the same sex marriage bill and all I think he wanted major population control over there :fly:

ChikkenNoodul said:
And this is the real issue here that I don't think many people get, and it's true for all TRULY wealthy people.

People with generations of family money have really no idea how people other than themselves live from day to day.

Conversely regular people supposedly don't understand "rich" problems. I mean really, how would you feel if your Rolls Royce got a flat and you had to wait 20 minutes to get to the golf club while your driver fixed it? That's a life altering event if you think about it.