ITT Recipe Exchange

Fat Burger said:
Ok, this sounds disgusting, but it's AMAZING.

Thai Beef Salad

* 2 green onions, chopped
* 1 lemon grass, cut into 1 inch pieces
* 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
* 1 cup lime juice
* 1/3 cup fish sauce
* 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1 1/2 pounds (1 inch thick) steak fillet
* 1 head leaf lettuce - rinsed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
* 1/2 English cucumber, diced
* 1 pint cherry tomatoes

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, stir together the green onions, lemon grass, cilantro, mint leaves, lime juice, fish sauce, chili sauce and sugar until well combined and the sugar is dissolved. Adjust the flavor, if desired, by adding more sugar and/or fish sauce. Set aside.

2. Cook the steak over high heat on a preheated grill for approximately 4-6 minutes on each side, until it is cooked medium. Do not overcook the meat! Remove from heat and slice into thin strips. Add the meat and its juices to the sauce and refrigerate, tightly covered, for at least 3 hours.

3. Tear the lettuce into bite size pieces and place in a salad bowl. Arrange the cucumber on top of the lettuce, and then pour the meat and sauce over. Top with the cherry tomatoes and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.

My sister does something similar but with pork.

itburnswhenipee said:
Curry recipe, please. Wontons too, now that I think of it.
Authentic curry is extremely difficult to do because of the availability of the authenitc ingredients in the states like fresh curry peppers, shrimp paste, whole corriander seeds, galangal, fresh lemongrass and tamarind. Not to mention it takes several hours to do from scratch. If you live near a farmers market and like cooking, you may not have an issue. Otherwise, use these guys instead : http://www.currysimple.com Curry is made fresh in Thailand, vac sealed, and shipped over here. Extremely good and those pouches are pretty damn big, enough for (2) 4-person meals. Their Thai Iced Tea concentrate is badass too.

Fat Burger said:
Yes, Panang is my favorite kind of curry.

Curry is the easiest foo. But it requires you have access to some stuff from an asian grocerie store. I make it with tofu and shrimp, you can leave either or out -- or use something like chicken instead, it just needs to be cooked ahead of time on the skillet.

Need:
1 Can Panang curry paste
2 Cans of premium coconut milk
Small bundle of basil
1 Block of firm tofu
Half pound of shrimp uncooked, tails removed if you like
Rice Duh
Nuoc Mam (Vietnamese Fish Sauce)
Sugar
1 Green Pepper
1 Red Pepper

Take your green pepper and red pepper, and clean em, gut em, and cut them in small roughly 1" x 1" peieces. Put them aside.

Now to cook tofu, there's a lot of different ways, but I like mine deep fried first, so I take the deep fryer out, and drain the tofu of as much liquid as possible. Then I cut them up in 1" by 1" by 1" cubes, and cover all sides with corn starch. Then I deep fry them till nice and crispy. Put them aside.

So start by putting a pot on the stove, turn it up to medium-high -- wait till it's hot. Open a can of coconut milk ahead of time. Put a tablespoon of Panang curry paste in there, and immediately put a couple table spoons of coconut milk in there, and mix it around. Let it warm up and smell really strong, then put the rest of the coconut, as well as the other can in there. Let that warm up on medium for 5-10 minutes, coconut seems to boil pretty fast so watch out.

Add the tofu in and cook for another 5-10 minutes.

Add the green peppers, red peppers, and shrimp and cook for 10 minutes.

Then you're done. Break off some leaves of basil and serve in a bowl.

You should have made a whole lot of cups of white rice while this was all happening.

The way I eat it is I have a community pot of curry, you get a bowl, put some rice, and pour a bit with some toppings on it, and eat. This usually feeds anywhere from 3-4 really hungry guys to 8 not so hungry women to 200 etheopian children. Enjoy.

theacoustician said:
Authentic curry is extremely difficult to do because of the availability of the authenitc ingredients in the states like fresh curry peppers, shrimp paste, whole corriander seeds, galangal, fresh lemongrass and tamarind. Not to mention it takes several hours to do from scratch. If you live near a farmers market and like cooking, you may not have an issue. Otherwise, use these guys instead : http://www.currysimple.com Curry is made fresh in Thailand, vac sealed, and shipped over here. Extremely good and those pouches are pretty damn big, enough for (2) 4-person meals. Their Thai Iced Tea concentrate is badass too.

There's no fucking way I'm gonna make my own fucking fresh curry lol. That shit takes forever and it's difficult.

danvuquoc said:
There's no fucking way I'm gonna make my own fucking fresh curry lol. That shit takes forever and it's difficult.
I would like to try someday just to say I've done it, but for everyday meals, check out the curry at the link. At very least, I have a mortar and pestle and I'll gladly beat the shit out of the ingredients for an hour or two.

I tried Fuxx's Beef Stew last night - Damn it's good! In fact, I didn't cook it long enough so I am going to throw it on the stove again tonight. I added 2 tblspoons of Woschester and 2 tblspoons Balsalmic Vinegar.

Really, really good stuff. Thanks Fuxx!

Candy said:
I tried Fuxx's Beef Stew last night - Damn it's good! In fact, I didn't cook it long enough so I am going to throw it on the stove again tonight. I added 2 tblspoons of Woschester and 2 tblspoons Balsalmic Vinegar.

Stews and chilis and krauts are all foods which benefit from overnight, low temp cooking. If you have a crock pot you can just set it on low and forget about it for a day or so. When you come back to it the stew will be perfect.

Sarcasmo said:
bwahahaha

edit: :( can't give you more rep right now.
here's a recipe for u sarcasmo

you need:

1 piece of poop from my ass

put it on a plate and eat it

serves around 1

Last edited:
Candy said:

Awesome!!
I got a crockpot for my birthday last month and I did the stew for the first time in my crock pot a couple of weeks ago- if you have one I recomend getting one, and then using it to make stew.

you know what I like in a crockpot?

Get a pork roast or loin
Put it in the cooker
Add a bag of Hebrew National Sauerkraut
Cook till the pork is nice and tender and falls apart at the touch of your fork

mmmmmmm, delish!

bast_imret said:
you know what I like in a crockpot?

Get a pork roast or loin
Put it in the cooker
Add a bag of Hebrew National Sauerkraut
Cook till the pork is nice and tender and falls apart at the touch of your fork

mmmmmmm, delish!

Add some kielbasa, some potatos, and a bay leaf for some Polish sauerkraut goodness. Dried mushrooms, caraway seeds and a bay leaf are optional but each bring a lot of flavor to the party.

itburnswhenipee said:
Stews and chilis and krauts are all foods which benefit from overnight, low temp cooking. If you have a crock pot you can just set it on low and forget about it for a day or so. When you come back to it the stew will be perfect.

My mother loves her crockpot, I call him dad, badum dum chiiiiii. seriously though she absolutely loves her crockpot