Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

Maybe a better fit to post this here...

Some local scuttlebut has a few people wanting to postpone or cancel SXSW because of the kungflu.
That thing brings way too much money to town they not gonna just up and stop it.
So we'll have 400,000 people from all over the world coming to one place to pack venues like sardines and slobber on each other.

I just realized I might be living at ground zero.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
That's what the CDC and doctors keep saying, but clearly that isn't correct.

edit: Sorry, I wasn't blaming you...
my b, I am always so defensive :lol: & I've been having this conversation a lot lately, so I read too much into the reply. I can't speak for them, but I would guess they're trying to avoid continued shortages. if it wasn't such a limited resource right now, it probably wouldn't matter, but people are panicking and buying/stealing them all.

we should also talk about handwashing, bc people have been saying a lot of "wash ya damn hands" which is legit, but not necessarily talking about what effective handwashing looks like (most people are OK at washing their palms and the palm side of their fingers, but forget about the in betweenies, their fingernails, and their cuticles). and it should be at least 20 solid seconds of good scrubbing. also! don't use overly hot water, bc that dries your hands out and can give you cracks and sores (which won't make you get COVID-19 but you can get other nastiness)

It's a simplification to help ration the limited resource in a fashion that does the most good.

Don't read too far into it.
Which is fine. Go ahead and say, "Please don't hoard masks because they are the most helpful for healthcare workers."

Don't say, "Stop stealing masks because professionals need them and they won't help you."

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Also, NPR was saying yesterday that this virus seems similar in makeup to MERS and SARS. If so, it can survive 1-2 days outside of a host. Yeeesh, that's really not good.

Which is fine. Go ahead and say, "Please don't hoard masks because they are the most helpful for healthcare workers."

Don't say, "Stop stealing masks because professionals need them and they won't help you."
The odds of you running into an infected person are vanishingly small still, so "they won't help you" is pretty on the money.

Maybe a better fit to post this here...

Some local scuttlebut has a few people wanting to postpone or cancel SXSW because of the kungflu.
That thing brings way too much money to town they not gonna just up and stop it.
So we'll have 400,000 people from all over the world coming to one place to pack venues like sardines and slobber on each other.

I just realized I might be living at ground zero.
There are events all over the world dealing with the possibility of having to cancel.

Probability of death by kungflu

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

Screenshot_2020-03-03-10-17-39.jpg

Doesn't seem worth getting all panicky over to me but people love a good scare.
Just the usual very old or people with already weakened systems, etc. that should be extra careful.
Fear and panic over it do more damage than the actual flu.

At this point, if I'm going to die from some virus and or disease, I hope I'm the one and only person to die from it amongst millions of infected. That way I'll be somewhat famous for something.

Probability of death by kungflu

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

View attachment 10817

Doesn't seem worth getting all panicky over to me but people love a good scare.
Just the usual very old or people with already weakened systems, etc. that should be extra careful.
Fear and panic over it do more damage than the actual flu.
I recall reading that the overall estimated rate is likely to be around .5%. However, we won't know the true numbers for a LOOOOOOONG time.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer