Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

we just got a memo at work that they had to tuck the masks away because people were stealing them - not even the N95s, because those were tucked away anyway, but the regular masks that prevent droplet but not necessarily aerosolized transmission. apparently people were just pocketing handfuls of them 🤦‍♀️ they're still available for patients, they just have to get them from reception.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum
The 'funniest' thing is that you don't WANT to need them. You're only supposed to wear them if you're sick. If you aren't, they really aren't going to help.

I wish facts still mattered. :(

• Gravy
Reactions: august
The 'funniest' thing is that you don't WANT to need them. You're only supposed to wear them if you're sick. If you aren't, they really aren't going to help.

I wish facts still mattered. :(
people are scared, I get it. but there is a nationwide shortage, and we do need them because we come into contact with sick people on the regular, so we have to be conservative with them. we have been doing pre-screening on patients with both travel questionnaires and screening for symptoms, so we should know ahead of time who needs one, but even if they don't NEED one, we probably won't begrudge them An Mask while they're at the office, but we're definitely not able to stock them up lol

facts definitely matter, but the general public is not very well versed in public health or personal health, and the folks in charge nationally right now aren't much better. they sent HHS to receive the folks from that flight with known-infected without appropriate PPE and threatened the person who tried to speak up about how that was kind of fucked with getting reassigned or fired. Pence gave Indiana the worst HIV outbreak it's ever seen with his "I'll pray on it" approach.

The wife has a stomach bug and been huggin the porcelain since yesterday
Now the boy has it and is getting picked up and took home now
Shaping up to be a fun weekend
The only bright point is that maybe the boy will hork up in the MiLs car
ope
are you a sympathetic puker?

people are scared, I get it. but there is a nationwide shortage, and we do need them because we come into contact with sick people on the regular, so we have to be conservative with them. we have been doing pre-screening on patients with both travel questionnaires and screening for symptoms, so we should know ahead of time who needs one, but even if they don't NEED one, we probably won't begrudge them An Mask while they're at the office, but we're definitely not able to stock them up lol
Now that I think about it... If people don't need them unless they are sick, why do healthcare workers need them?

Now that I think about it... If people don't need them unless they are sick, why do healthcare workers need them?
a lot of it comes down to risk.
we encounter A Lot of sick people (but I less so, which is why I'm not masked up), and people can be infectious before they start showing symptoms. there's a higher risk for healthcare workers to encounter one infected individual, become infected, and pass that on to other already-sick-but-not-sick-in-that-way people.

@fly the average person may come into contact with any number of people in a given day, but there's a lower chance of any given person they meet to be sick. with healthcare, there's a higher concentration of sick people we come into contact by nature of the job. we do see people for non-illness reasons, too, but on any day we see plenty of people for things like cough, URI, etc so there's a higher risk of exposure. that's also why we have to be screened for TB more often than the general population, why we're required to have hepatitis vaccinations, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
and for the record, our mask protocol (pre-screening for patients we would want to mask up based on symptoms, having masks for staff, etc) is not new with COVID-19, we implement that every year during flu season, and the travel screening is "new" in what areas we screen for and is based on CDC recommendations, but we have implemented these in the past (like during the Ebola outbreak).