Handgun Sales

knyte said "post this link and tell those idiots to give it a rest"

http://gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/4.2/GunFacts4-2-Screen.pdf

I've spent the past 2 hours reading through alot of this, skimming through the rest of it... there's a LOT of good information in there.

Some of it's presented in a way as to make guns look like they're never responsible for anything, but it clearly gets all points across. The section comparing gun control and it's effects in other countries is especially interesting.

Link? I would be interested in seeing that(not that i dont believe you)

You are comparing something thats primary design is to kill and cannot be used for anything else to things that "could possibly kill you if used incorrectly". I really dont see how that argument can even be used

"If we ban guns we should ban toaster ovens cause you can hit someone with one and kill them"

To me that is not something you can debate, makes little sense to even consider that argument. A gun is made for the sole purpose of killing, period. It does not double as a butter spreader or a less than lethal source of protection, it is 1 thing, lethal.

Personally I feel that we should have full background checks on anyone going to purchase a hand gun and a longer waiting period. 3 days, if that, for a gun is horribly to soon. Shit here in Florida you can go to any Gun Show and pick up a piece while you wait for your elephant ear to finish frying. I know that is not completely truthful/legal but it is seriously that easy to get a gun. All I am really saying is EDUCATE/TEST/BACKGROUND and not just a weekend wait. I completely understand you want your freedom to shoot but safety should come first especially when dealing with a item made specifically for killing.

I was referring to countries, but was too lazy to do my own homework...

from knytes link said:
Fact: In 1976, Washington,
D.C. enacted one of the most
restrictive gun control laws in
the nation. The city's murder
rate rose 134 percent through
1996 while the national
murder rate has dropped 2
percent.
(Dr. Gary Kleck, University of Florida using FBI Uniform Crime Statistics, 1997 )

edit: woohoo KNYTE's link actually had stats from Brazil, which is the country I was thinking of
Fact: “We don't have
as many guns [in
Brazil] as the United
States, but we use
them more.”
Brazil
has mandatory
licensing, registration,
and maximum
personal ownership
quotas. It now bans
any new sales to
private citizens. Their
homicide rate is
almost three (3) times
higher than the U.S.

And another one just for fun...
Fact: Many of the countries with the strictest gun control have the highest rates of violent crime.
Australia and England, which have virtually banned gun ownership, have the highest rates of
robbery, sexual assault, and assault with force of the top 17 industrialized countries.

Last edited:
^Isn't it funny how opposite that is. You would think more gun control would equal a safer society, but that is not at all true.

How do the rates of fatalities arising from robberies, sexual assaults and assaults with force compare between the united states and australia and england?

^Isn't it funny how opposite that is. You would think more gun control would equal a safer society, but that is not at all true.

Hardcore criminals aren't hitting up a gun shop for weapons. With strong gun control you just limit the people that agree to follow the law. And then the criminals aren't afraid of an law abiding individual having a weapon to protect themselves.

Hardcore criminals aren't hitting up a gun shop for weapons. With strong gun control you just limit the people that agree to follow the law. And then the criminals aren't afraid of an law abiding individual having a weapon to protect themselves.

yup. when the people arn't armed, you have nothing to fear.

as it stands now it's always in the back of their head "which one of these crazy bastards has a gun... cause i'm gonna rob the neighbor instead... oh look, a hillary sign in the front yard, thats the easy target"

...although mccain is a gun grabber too

and has anyone else ever had a SO tell them "don't flip that guy off for cutting you off in traffic, WTF ARE YOU DOING? HE MIGHT HAVE A GUN!"

yup. when the people arn't armed, you have nothing to fear.

as it stands now it's always in the back of their head "which one of these crazy bastards has a gun... cause i'm gonna rob the neighbor instead... oh look, a hillary sign in the front yard, thats the easy target"

...although mccain is a gun grabber too

and has anyone else ever had a SO tell them "don't flip that guy off for cutting you off in traffic, WTF ARE YOU DOING? HE MIGHT HAVE A GUN!"

Or in Fly's case, the chick had a cup of coffee. :lol:

Threw it at his car in rage.

I was referring to countries, but was too lazy to do my own homework...

edit: woohoo KNYTE's link actually had stats from Brazil, which is the country I was thinking of

And another one just for fun...

pretty crazy... to hungover to type anything more than 1 liners, prolly a good thing

And what do you think today? :D

I think that beefing up testing/evaluation/classes and harder abuse laws along with a longer wait and more of a background check will help. By no means do I think we should ban guns, I dont know why you think that. Just because I feel we should have these things does not mean I am on an anti-gun trip and you guys ALWAYS reply to me like that. I love shooting and would hate to get that taken away, doesn't mean we can't beef up security. Drug test should be high on the level of owning a gun IMO. Other things like that which wouldn't hurt the large population of law abiding citizens. Then train these law abiding citizens and train them well... Not only is it a source of protection but it is also a large responsibility.

If you want you can research the number of home shootings where the person was hurt by there own gun. That should not happen and would not if they were properly trained. I dont have the time to do the numbers right now but I know they are quite high cause you always here about how most home invasions there own gun is used against them. I will look it up later if you want me to but thats a pretty commonly known fact.

Last edited:
I'm all for requiring mandatory gun safety classes for anyone wanting to own a gun. I took a class when I was a kid. I think it should be something taught similar to health class.