WTF France attacked again

if yellowstone blows its top and we're all forced to become refugees in mexico and further south I would love to see just how hard anyone here works in those situations

half your family dead, your home and everything you knew destroyed, no idea if any of your friends made it out, everything you've worked for gone except the few things that fit in your backpack which results in a bunch of people living sheltered, air conditioned lives commenting on the price of your two year old smart phone. completely foreign language that you have to learn and if you don't do it fast enough you're called lazy and ungrateful despite most of the people complaining about you don't have more than a high schooler's grasp of their own native tongue.

how determined to integrate into the populace would you be if your 10 year old child got sick and died during the journey? would you really care what they thought of you and how grateful you are while you're mourning?

I wonder how many here would even survive in this situation the refugees are in let alone have a chance of finding some semblance of long term stability and safety.

Yes, and the refugees have responsibilities, too. Work hard, learn the language, let your children learn the ways of your new land.

You have such nice manners. I would've said they shouldn't try to turn their new home into the same shithole they fleed from.

A country that takes in refugees has a responsibility to not be bigoted racists assholes about it.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it has to be okay with said refugees still wanting to commit honor killings, or bend the host society's established social way of things to embrace a more secular, very stringent lifestyle that the newly integrated want to enforce.

You have to face the fact that Sharia culture and western culture don't exactly mix.

I've never once read an account of an Irishman blowing up innocents wearing a dynamite vest.
Unless he was so drunk it was an accident.

You're on a subject fairly close to my heart. I'm of irish ancestry and want a united Ireland. Being on the side of the angels hasn't however, over the years, meant that I haven't had to evacuate buildings in Colchester, London and Belfast because of IRA bombs. I was 20 minutes away from arriving at my hotel in Belfast when the foyer went up once. The factory I'd been visiting in Keady (one of two in Northern Ireland I was responsible for) regularly had no-one turn in for work because they all came across the border every morning and they'd been warned by the grapevine that the border would be closed later because there was a bombing scheduled somewhere. Bombs were a very real threat in my life for quite a number of years during the Troubles. Most of the activity was funded by Americans via Noraid. One of the main leaders of these bombing campaigns is now president of Sinn Fein.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Yeah, but that doesn't mean it has to be okay with said refugees still wanting to commit honor killings, or bend the host society's established social way of things to embrace a more secular, very stringent lifestyle that the newly integrated want to enforce.

You have to face the fact that Sharia culture and western culture don't exactly mix.

giving them the opportunity and means to integrate means less reliance on their culture and religion for support which means reduced chances of them being radicalized

fortunately there's not really anyone defending honor killings except for the people who commit them

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
if yellowstone blows its top and we're all forced to become refugees in mexico and further south I would love to see just how hard anyone here works in those situations

half your family dead, your home and everything you knew destroyed, no idea if any of your friends made it out, everything you've worked for gone except the few things that fit in your backpack which results in a bunch of people living sheltered, air conditioned lives commenting on the price of your two year old smart phone. completely foreign language that you have to learn and if you don't do it fast enough you're called lazy and ungrateful despite most of the people complaining about you don't have more than a high schooler's grasp of their own native tongue.

how determined to integrate into the populace would you be if your 10 year old child got sick and died during the journey? would you really care what they thought of you and how grateful you are while you're mourning?

I wonder how many here would even survive in this situation the refugees are in let alone have a chance of finding some semblance of long term stability and safety.

I know times are different now, but my great grandfather came here from Lithuania at 15 when his parents were taken to the north to work camps by the Russians, and their farm stolen.

He and his little brother were saved by some neighboring Jewish farmers (my family was Catholic) by smuggling them out of the area in a hay wagon. He lived in the Boston slums and learned English, became a self-taught cabinet maker, and joined the US navy during WWI at 17 years old for citizenship. He was a mine sweeper on a big ship, standing at the bow with a long pole pushing the floating mines out of the way.

He was able to find 3 of his 6 brothers and sisters and pay for them to come to the US. They also learned English and got jobs. G-Grandfather married an Irish immigrant who also lived in the ghetto of European immigrants in Boston. She learned 5 languages from her neighbors, and tatted lace for money.

Believe me, Boston was a hotbed of racism, anti-European immigrants, especially the Irish.

Cliffs: people can learn languages, trades, and the ways of their new society, even when starting out with nothing.

giving them the opportunity and means the chance to integrate means less reliance on their culture and religion for support which means reduced chances of them being radicalized

fortunately there's not really anyone defending honor killings except for the people who commit them

fixed that for you.

But people don't just dump their religion because they live someplace else. Sure, some may integrate, but Sharia adherents are a lot like Southern Baptists. Southern Baptists live in a free society, aren't removed from society, yet still adhere to ancient ways and do their part to force it upon others.

Just thinking that embracing them into society will make them change isn't based on the real world. We have prime examples here at home of that.

If Yellowstone blows it's top and most of the US is gone most of the world will take a tailspin. Everyone's markets would crash and there would be a ton of wide spread issues. Even our housing market crash in 08 almost brought other places to their knees so something as large of that would tip the entire world. Wondering if people will work in Mexico will be the least of the problems.

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas and Duke
If Yellowstone blows it's top and most of the US is gone most of the world will take a tailspin. Everyone's markets would crash and there would be a ton of wide spread issues. Even our housing market crash in 08 almost brought other places to their knees so something as large of that would tip the entire world. Wondering if people will work in Mexico will be the least of the problems.
While yes, you're right, I took his example as more of some example. We all know we'd go to mexico, move them out , & rehire the few survivors as bus boys to serve us our Radicchio.

I know times are different now, but my great grandfather came here from Lithuania at 15 when his parents were taken to the north to work camps by the Russians, and their farm stolen.

He and his little brother were saved by some neighboring Jewish farmers (my family was Catholic) by smuggling them out of the area in a hay wagon. He lived in the Boston slums and learned English, became a self-taught cabinet maker, and joined the US navy during WWI at 17 years old for citizenship. He was a mine sweeper on a big ship, standing at the bow with a long pole pushing the floating mines out of the way.

He was able to find 3 of his 6 brothers and sisters and pay for them to come to the US. They also learned English and got jobs. G-Grandfather married an Irish immigrant who also lived in the ghetto of European immigrants in Boston. She learned 5 languages from her neighbors, and tatted lace for money.

Believe me, Boston was a hotbed of racism, anti-European immigrants, especially the Irish.

Cliffs: people can learn languages, trades, and the ways of their new society, even when starting out with nothing.

Or on the flip side they could move to Boston and just be a young impressionable man pissed at the world and leave a pressure cooker bomb in a crowd. This whole it's because they are oppressed story may be true some of the time but people need to realize that there are plenty of cases that the person just wanted others they didn't like to die.

fixed that for you.

But people don't just dump their religion because they live someplace else. Sure, some may integrate, but Sharia adherents are a lot like Southern Baptists. Southern Baptists live in a free society, aren't removed from society, yet still adhere to ancient ways and do their part to force it upon others.

Just thinking that embracing them into society will make them change isn't based on the real world. We have prime examples here at home of that.
"Please ignore all the ways religions have changed in response to social pressure." Providing alternative, better options is how change is accomplished, not by destroying opportunities for betterment.

Or on the flip side they could move to Boston and just be a young impressionable man pissed at the world and leave a pressure cooker bomb in a crowd. This whole it's because they are oppressed story may be true some of the time but people need to realize that there are plenty of cases that the person just wanted others they didn't like to die.
That shit is American AF.

Couple things. Like I said, it's easier to children to learn languages than adults. You can't expect a 30 year old to pick up french in the time it would take a 15-17 year old.

Also, joining the military is an option that a LOT of folks don't have. It also granted one a lot of benefits after WW2 that many would otherwise not have received. But I don't imagine you're suggesting that all of these people enlist in the french military.

Yes, people can do all those things. But it took your grandfather a long time to that, didn't it? It didn't happen in the course of a few months or even a couple years and these refugees haven't been living in one place for all this time.

I don't know how many times this has to be repeated. Just because a few exceptional people manage to make it out of a tough situation does NOT mean that everyone is fully capable of doing the same thing. Maybe your grandfather was just that fucking awesome or maybe he got a lucky break. But a lot of people didn't. A lot of people never became successful like him despite working just as hard.

You know times are different now. So understand that your grandfather's success in no way serves as proof that these refugees aren't working just as hard as he did.

• Gravy
Reactions: MadDog and Ledboots
fixed that for you.

I don't think you fixed that unless you meant to put that somewhere else in the sentence. I said "the means to integrate" not that giving them opportunity implies they will undoubtedly integrate.

People don't dump religion but they will rely on it MORE when they don't have any other option.

I think I see the issue. Are you under the impression that these people are all adherents of sharia?

Embracing them into society has a greater likelihood of them changing than ostracizing them. That's based in the real world.

"Please ignore all the ways religions have changed in response to social pressure." Providing alternative, better options is how change is accomplished, not by destroying opportunities for betterment.

"Please ignore all the religions that are basically unchanged for hundreds of years even with social pressure for change being applied"

• Gravy
Reactions: Frau Blugher
I don't think you fixed that unless you meant to put that somewhere else in the sentence. I said "the means to integrate" not that giving them opportunity implies they will undoubtedly integrate.

People don't dump religion but they will rely on it MORE when they don't have any other option.

I think I see the issue. Are you under the impression that these people are all adherents of sharia?

Both Sunni and Shiite's have their own versions of sharia law they follow so yes, that is how islam works.