Ontopic Elementary school shooting

The only thing that "influenced" this kid is that he was a freaking nutjob.

If anything, it'd be the glorifying of the people who've committed these acts in the past.

We should strive to forget the names of the scum that do this kind of thing.

In that article, apparently some cop said that they should be referred to as 'Glory Killers.' I think that's a much better term.

Video games have been demonized for years now. I love how they're portraying him as some super gamer. The things they're getting stuck on are basic strategy moves. If anything, this kid was the best planned of the bunch. Go big or go home, right?

I'm sure video games played a role in this tragedy (teaching basic combat strategy) but in the end I still blame the parent. Why would you give your kid (on antidepressants) free access to any firearm they desire?

anyone who's actually been in combat knows that video games dont teach you shit about shit.

i'm not going to get into the video game debate, simply because i don't know how i feel about it. i don't think video games should be generalized and stereotyped like they are.

however, in this PARTICULAR situation, i very much believe video games had a major influence on this kid. he had mental illess(es), he spent a lot of (too much) time playing these games, and he had real guns in his home...not to mention this whole spreadsheet thing. in this case, i do believe gaming had a huge influence on his behavior.
and isn't that possible? there are people out there who become obsessed and then cannot separate reality from fantasy...so it makes sense that gaming was a major factor with this kid. is it gaming's FAULT? of course not. like with so many other things -- MODERATION. and parental involvement, concern, interest, etc. too many factors in this story to "blame" just one...but i do think gaming was a serious factor to consider.

big points of this story?
parental involvement.
moderation, interest and concern with any activity involving kids.
mental health, and the consideration of and treatment of.
warning signs & flags, and a plan of action people can turn to if they feel there are signs and flags.

source?

anyone who's actually been in combat knows that video games dont teach you shit about shit.

are military flight simulators & high school driving simulators a 100% waste? If they are a waste, why are they used?

Medical Simulator study: results: [h=4]RESULTS:[/h]Past video game play in excess of 3 h/wk correlated with 37% fewer errors (P<.02) and 27% faster completion (P<.03).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17309970

Last edited:
that's just another typical duke response to derail the topic.

no one said nor even implied that.

:lol: yes, I'm trying to derail the topic.

:facepalm:

Have you even read this entire thread, or is short term memory getting to you.

Last edited:
Video games are totally to blame for this. I had a cousin who had mental issues and would chase around ghosts and try to kill them every time he would eat cherries.

winning:
(WXYZ) - Police sources tell 7 Action News that a women's basketball coach from Martin Luther King, Jr. Senior High School shot two men who attacked him as he was walking two basketball players to their cars in the school parking lot.

Police sources say the coach was walking the two girls to their cars when two men allegedly approached and one pulled out a gun and grabbed him by his chain necklace. The coach then pulled out his gun and shot both of them, according to sources.

The man who shot the attackers was 70 years old, according to police.

One of the attackers was found dead in the median on Lafayette Boulevard, and the other was taken to a local hospital, according to police sources. We've learned that both of the men had attended the high school, and one had been recently expelled.
Police sources say the coach has a Concealed Pistol License and is reportedly a reserve police officer. They say he is fully cooperating with authorities.

Crime scene tape could be seen on Lafayette Boulevard and also around the back parking lot of the school near the gym.
Students could be seen being walked to their cars late Friday night.
The Detroit Public Schools issued this statement to 7 Action News:
At approximately 7:30pm DPS Police responded to a call of attempted robbery at Martin Luther King Jr. High School. DPS Police are cooperating with DPD which is handling the lead investigation.

We are very relieved that all students and DPS personnel and representatives involved are safe and were unharmed. Preliminary reports are that shots were fired during an attempted robbery of a member of the coaching team of the school’s girls basketball program by two assailants outside the school. There was one fatality and one injured suspect in serious condition.

The school has many security features which were in place at the time of the incident as well as a full security plan as do all DPS schools. These will be reviewed as the regularly are after any incidents. There will be counselors available at the school Monday morning for students and faculty members.

--Steve Wasko, Detroit Public Schools Spokesperson

86 year old Louise Howard uses her gun to defend herself in her home.

6:06 PM Feb 04 2013 UPDATED: 5:52 PM Feb 04 2013

BULLS GAP, Tenn. - An 86-year-old woman grabbed a gun in self-defense when police say an intruder broke into her home. News 5 sat down with this woman today and listened to her tell about the experience.
Louise Howard lives just off a busy highway in Bulls Gap.

She told us she's been the victim of theft many times before, and she's had enough and it was time to take a stand.
"I told different people if I ever catch them, I mean to kill them," said Louise Howard.
Louise Howard may be 86 years old, but she isn't afraid to defend her home or her life.
On Friday afternoon she was forced to do that. Howard said a young woman broke the glass on her door and forced her way inside.
"I was in shock. I didn't know what she was going to do to me!" Howard said.
Howard immediately grabbed her gun, but the two started to struggle down the hall.

"I already had my gun in my hand, and I wouldn't turn it loose for anything," she explained.
Howard's hands are proof she wasn't letting go.
"She stuck a fingernail in there," said Howard. "She moved her hands sort of released me a bit. I moved over like that, and I was going to shoot her in the stomach, but she took her knee and hit my elbow."

The bullet ended up inside the wall where it still hides.
Sheriff Ronnie Lawson told us Howard was in her rights to use her gun for protection.
"All indications [were] the intruder, the female, has a wrench. It was what she used to break the window of the door so she could've defended herself," Sheriff Lawson explained.
Howard said she is a repeat victim of crime, "I decided I would put all of my valuables in my pocketbook, and they would be with me wherever I went and nobody would get it," she said.
But she still came out with a loss. Investigators said the suspect took her purse, that held two sets of keys, some rings, a bank card, and checkbook, but thankfully for her, nothing more valuable than that.
"I was more scared for my cat than I was for me, because I guess I'd give my life that cat I love him so," said Howard.
Sheriff Lawson described the suspect as a white female about 5'9" with a slender build, long dark hair, and a round face.
The suspect was seen leaving in a red car.
If you have any information you're asked to call the Hawkins County Sheriff's Department at (423) 272-4848

http://www.wcyb.com/news/86-year-ol...se/-/14590844/18404728/-/9fdio6z/-/index.html

Now post all the stories of domestic violence where one partner shot the other.

not relevant.

Nah, no one is sayign any such thing.

I find it wildly curious that when someone asserts video games may have influence, some get wildly defensive about how video games don't because they played and arent' violent. This is as analogous as saying alcohol doesn't cause alcoholism because I drink a ton & I'm fine.

I don't think anyone has ever said that everyone who plays a videogame is a killer, so I'm not sure why there's there huge denial about even the possibility of correlation by the same group.

Enjoy your drinks and enjoy your videogames. Neither 'makes' you a drunk nor a killer.

I find it wildly curious that when someone asserts guns may have influence, some get wildly defensive about how guns don't because they fired guns and arent' violent. This is as analogous as saying alcohol doesn't cause alcoholism because I drink a ton & I'm fine.

I don't think anyone has ever said that everyone who shoots guns is a killer, so I'm not sure why there's there huge denial about even the possibility of correlation by the same group.

Enjoy your drinks and enjoy your guns Neither 'makes' you a drunk nor a killer.

fixed that for you.

I understand this. The only way to k ow his you will react in a combat situation is to be in a combat situation.

My point is that via gaming he was able to learn little tricks to help his assault. IE: pick a target, arm and equip, reload as necessary entering each room, leave no survivors.... you know.

are military flight simulators & high school driving simulators a 100% waste? If they are a waste, why are they used?

Medical Simulator study: results: [h=4]RESULTS:[/h]Past video game play in excess of 3 h/wk correlated with 37% fewer errors (P<.02) and 27% faster completion (P<.03).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17309970

neither one of those are video games. Theyre simulators.

simulators are modeled after reality, and often have identical controls, video games are entertainment that doesnt reflect reality, or is highly stylized.

You admitted above you havent played video games since high school, and i doubt you've ever used a simulator, so everything you're saying is kneejerk conjecture.

If the dude had stolen a fbi motion reality training simulator, and practiced on that, he would get real experience. Very real. I've been in one, and its about as close to a situation as you can get without actually having live rounds fired at you.

Call of duty is not that.

simulators are modeled after reality, and often have identical controls, video games are entertainment that doesnt reflect reality, or is highly stylized.

You admitted above you havent played video games since high school, and i doubt you've ever used a simulator, so everything you're saying is kneejerk conjecture.

If the dude had stolen a fbi motion reality training simulator, and practiced on that, he would get real experience. Very real. I've been in one, and its about as close to a situation as you can get without actually having live rounds fired at you.
so YOU know the difference.

Call of duty is not that.
Does adam lanza have the ability to tell the difference or is he playing out the fantasy in real life?

so YOU know the difference.

Does adam lanza have the ability to tell the difference or is he playing out the fantasy in real life?

A) thats a mental problem with adam lanza, not with video games
B) If he tried to play call of duty in real life, he would promptly be shot by his opponents (read: cops)
C) that teaches nothing about weapons handling. His mom training him to use guns? that did, because that real. Video games arent.