Thread Cool Things The Pope says

I believe the whole point of religion is to try to be the best person you can be, treating others well and treating yourself well. If you can pull that off, who gives a shit about the fine print... or even if the whole thing is fictitious.
As a cradle catholic that ran far, far away from the Church when I was old enough to do so, I still very much believe this.

I think as a whole, the Bible is a handed-down written and transcribed document that depicts the early rise of modern civilization and the benefits of being good to your neighbor and not inciting a land war in which no one wins. It was like, no one could get through to masses of people to be nice to each other using force, so then some guy that people could relate to had to come into the picture and show them with tangible and stories people could relate to. And then people felt bad when guys were dicks to him and killed him. But the overall message of that is still "if you're not an asshole, no matter what in the end good things will happen to you".

As a cradle catholic that ran far, far away from the Church when I was old enough to do so, I still very much believe this.

I think as a whole, the Bible is a handed-down written and transcribed document that depicts the early rise of modern civilization and the benefits of being good to your neighbor and not inciting a land war in which no one wins. It was like, no one could get through to masses of people to be nice to each other using force, so then some guy that people could relate to had to come into the picture and show them with tangible and stories people could relate to. And then people felt bad when guys were dicks to him and killed him. But the overall message of that is still "if you're not an asshole, no matter what in the end good things will happen to you".
wz0SdVD.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: SwimBikeRunCake
Well, you'd know your doctrine better than me. I thought there had to be a certain amount of direness to the situation to warrant a lay-person baptism.

My poor wife gets it from her mother coming and going - she's going to hell because she's not confirmed, the cuntmuppets are going to hell because they're not baptized, and I'm going to hell because I'm a non-practicing Lutheran.

And I'm the first guy, so she had no standard of comparison. The MIL definitely has a shine on my wife's older sister, who is coming back to baptize her (first and so far only) crotchfruit in November.
Yeah it's really a technically anyone can baptize - BUT this is usually left for special situations. Many nurses have learned the proper method to baptize simply because for some they feel if you aren't baptized before death you will go to hell (blah blah blah)
In case of necessity, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize, by using the trinitarian baptismal formula. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of baptism for salvation. (CCC 1256)
Catholics aren't as picky on how baptisms are done, but technically they can only be done once. My brother was baptized in the hospital but upon his release which was unexpected they did a 'christening' of sots and announced the godparents.

Some religions would just rebaptize, but the Catholic church is pretty formal with their sacraments and don't believe in redoing anything (even marriages need annulled). I respect the formality of their sacraments truly.

Sorry you have to deal with the crap though. I really loathe when people push their agendas on others. I love discussing religions (similarities, differences etc) but I tune out the moment someone starts preaching how wrong I am.

Sorry for the long post :oops:

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I was baptized fully 2x. My P's had me in Europe and I have a pair of really cool European Godparents. When they got back to the states (I was 1.5yrs old) they did the whole thing again in Chicago because my mother and her older sister promised each other they'd be each others kids g'mahd (pronounced goomahd) = God Mother.

Double dipper here!

I was baptized fully 2x. My P's had me in Europe and I have a pair of really cool European Godparents. When they got back to the states (I was 1.5yrs old) they did the whole thing again in Chicago because my mother and her older sister promised each other they'd be each others kids g'mahd (pronounced goomahd) = God Mother.

Double dipper here!
Catholic? That's crazy - shocking really since I don't know how they would have let it happen again. They even recognize all baptisms from other churches and they're crazy good at keeping records (even in the US a baptismal record is just as good as birth certificate in many places). Like I said my brother wasn't expected to live, was baptized and they wouldn't do it again since it was recorded as being done elsewhere. Just a dedication with oil on the head but no water. Really you're never supposed to be baptized twice in the Catholic church.

Other religions are different though.

I've been baptized, confirmed, went on choir tours, went to church for 18+ years, the whole nine yards.

Look how well I turned out! :lol:

Catholic? That's crazy - shocking really since I don't know how they would have let it happen again.
my guess is that she purposely didn't tell them so they could get it done. I didn't ask questions. But I do have two full sets of baptismal photos - different priests, churches, family/friends, and my P's are in different clothing in the pics. And I only personally recognize the US one (baptismal font) because it's in the church I was raised in until HS.

my guess is that she purposely didn't tell them so they could get it done. I didn't ask questions. But I do have two full sets of baptismal photos - different priests, churches, family/friends, and my P's are in different clothing in the pics. And I only personally recognize the US one (baptismal font) because it's in the church I was raised in until HS.
You sure they didn't do half of it - like just blessing with oil and stuff? We have "baptismal" photos of my brother in church but they weren't real either. No water... just oil but done in front of the baptismal font. I'm totally curious and not being judgy - totally fascinates me because you literally would be the only person I know who would have had that happen in a Catholic church twice.

Out of 3 kids who were raised Catholic, I'm the only one who goes to church regularly. I quit for a while after my mom's death. Did a bunch of research on religion a few years later and went back to Catholic.

Made me say I'd never force my kid to be confirmed. Makes no sense.... and I promised myself I'd never force a kid to do it.

Posted that solely to counter ZRH's "no american would listen to the pope, that's absurd" statement, with "uh, 25% might"

I'm on the opposite side of the coin. I was baptized anglican, but grew up in a town where the only school was a catholic school, run by the catholic school board. One of my earliest childhood memories is when the nun I had for a grade 2 teacher stood me up in the front of class and told everyone I was going to hell because I was anglican. And I'm in fucking grade 2, I don't know anything, I assume everything teachers say is right and got sent home bawling...
My second grade teacher, also a nun, used to tell us how she was traveling on a Sunday, and went to find a church because her and another sister wanted to attend Mass.

They saw a St Mary's and went inside, and stayed the entire service but realized they were in the wrong sort of church at the Eucharist. -.-

I believe the point was to emphasize that Anglicans were essentially the same or something.

I grew up going to a private Lutheran School. Everything that was taught was done so revolving around the Lutheran religion and set of beliefs. We attended church every Wednesday. It never really felt right with me. It didn't make sense. By the fourth grade, I knew with all of my conviction that something was askew. At the time I wasn't aware of it, but as I look back, they were literally driving the fear of God into us. Attempting to make us believe that without him, we were just weak beings. We would lead a life of crime and spend our adulthood without him. We would forget to confess our sins and would end up spending eternity in hell.

When I look back, I wonder why my dad never took me away from that malicious place. Why he let those strong emotions fester inside me when my mind was so fragile and submissive to the words of people with authority.

This is why I have a great distain for religion. Why I can't trust people with young children who impose such strong beliefs into someone so young.

Catholics aren't as picky on how baptisms are done, but technically they can only be done once. My brother was baptized in the hospital but upon his release which was unexpected they did a 'christening' of sots and announced the godparents.
a) Two elements. Someone has to say "I baptize you" and use the trinitarian formula (and of course really intend to perform the baptism).
b) They do conditional baptisms if the first one is iffy, like "If you are not yet baptized, I baptize you..."

Not sure, but I have two baptismal records. One from the church here and one from europe. And two pair of God Parents. I would kind of think that if there were only one 'baptism' I'd have one set of GPs
The two sets isn't actually old. A lot of other cultures have more than one listed. One couple at church had a son hours before ours was born and he had like 20 total. I have 3 myself. My grandfather was ill and my aunt stood in so he was done via proxie.

Two certs would be different though. Not sure what my brother had... but i truly find this fascinating.