Thread Cool Things The Pope says

Posted that solely to counter ZRH's "no american would listen to the pope, that's absurd" statement, with "uh, 25% might"

I'm on the opposite side of the coin. I was baptized anglican, but grew up in a town where the only school was a catholic school, run by the catholic school board. One of my earliest childhood memories is when the nun I had for a grade 2 teacher stood me up in the front of class and told everyone I was going to hell because I was anglican. And I'm in fucking grade 2, I don't know anything, I assume everything teachers say is right and got sent home bawling...
Gotcha! I thought you were referring to another part of the quote.

Domon old teaching was that if you weren't baptized Catholic immediately after birth that you would go to hell. They advised that my brother be baptized immediately since he wasn't expected to live. That idea has changed as well - babies don't go to purgatory now if not baptized. So what the priest was getting at was something taught ages ago.

People can suck though and many religious people still spew that shit across the board. I hear it from so many religious people that it makes me sick.

My mom was even somewhat that way but it never rubbed off on me. Believe what you want - if there is a God I'll let any judging belong to Him. Don't hate on others just for their beliefs.

Wow, religion was never a big deal in my family. Mom is/was Catholic, Dad's Lutheran. I got confirmed in the Lutheran church (ELCA, not the Missouri synod, buncha zealot jerks), but never really did anything beyond that.

My mother in law tries to sprinkle the kids with holy water all the time, but either doesn't realize that baptism doesn't work that way, or is just trying to send a message, but neither of us is willing to make the commitment that baptizing the kids implies.

All I get to do is relish the fact that my batshit-crazy Catholic grandmother absolutely hates the new pope.

I was born to a catholic mom and agnostic dad. after my mom died, my dad got remarried to a Christian woman who was my preschool teacher at a private Lutheran school. I went through a great many phases, Lutheran, Christian, Atheism and now finally Agnosticism. Who knows where I'll be another 10 years from know, most likely still agnostic, but we'll see.

born catholic, never really strongly believed (or not believed) in it. It was the thing that made me get up early on the weekends, and that was not a good time. Those were my sole feelings on church.

These days, really have no clue whats out there. Pretty certain its not a bearded dude floating in the clouds. Some grander scheme of order to things though? Yeah, i feel like thats a thing.

born catholic, never really strongly believed (or not believed) in it. It was the thing that made me get up early on the weekends, and that was not a good time. Those were my sole feelings on church.

These days, really have no clue whats out there. Pretty certain its not a bearded dude floating in the clouds. Some grander scheme of order to things though? Yeah, i feel like thats a thing.
We are all in our own simulations.

Do dodooo dooodoooooo

We are all in our own simulations.

Do dodooo dooodoooooo

If I were to admit this was true, then basically

1) Simulated Ape tells this to simulated domon

2) on a simulated web forum

3) since it's my own simulation, then really, it's me, telling me, that I'm living in a simulation.

4) which makes the entire concept of interacting on here pointless

and finally

5) Which also makes world of beer a giant lie.

Which also means that any replies to this concept are just me telling myself shit.

I guess, then, I don't even know why I posted this.

Wow, religion was never a big deal in my family. Mom is/was Catholic, Dad's Lutheran. I got confirmed in the Lutheran church (ELCA, not the Missouri synod, buncha zealot jerks), but never really did anything beyond that.

My mother in law tries to sprinkle the kids with holy water all the time, but either doesn't realize that baptism doesn't work that way, or is just trying to send a message, but neither of us is willing to make the commitment that baptizing the kids implies.

All I get to do is relish the fact that my batshit-crazy Catholic grandmother absolutely hates the new pope.
Actually it does..... technically. People used to baptize sickly babies. As long as the intent is there it can be legit.

However I find anyone who does this to children w/o parental consent to be utter assholes about it. You don't do that to someone's family since they don't intend to raise the children as whatever you're trying to baptize them as.

Let me guess your grandmother liked the last guy right?

3) since it's my own simulation, then really, it's me, telling me, that I'm living in a simulation.

and finally

Which also means that any replies to this concept are just me telling myself shit.

That was... Beautiful in a giant lie kind of way.

Gotcha! I thought you were referring to another part of the quote.

Domon old teaching was that if you weren't baptized Catholic immediately after birth that you would go to hell. They advised that my brother be baptized immediately since he wasn't expected to live. That idea has changed as well - babies don't go to purgatory now if not baptized. So what the priest was getting at was something taught ages ago.

People can suck though and many religious people still spew that shit across the board. I hear it from so many religious people that it makes me sick.

My mom was even somewhat that way but it never rubbed off on me. Believe what you want - if there is a God I'll let any judging belong to Him. Don't hate on others just for their beliefs.
I believe the whole point of religion is to try to be the best person you can be, treating others well and treating yourself well. If you can pull that off, who gives a shit about the fine print... or even if the whole thing is fictitious.

• Gravy
Reactions: helenabear

and finally

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

I believe the whole point of religion is to try to be the best person you can be, treating others well and treating yourself well. If you can pull that off, who gives a shit about the fine print... or even if the whole thing is fictitious.

There's also the angle that if you need the threat of eternal damnation and hellfire to be a good person it really means you're a scumbag.

• Gravy
Reactions: gee and APRIL
Actually it does..... technically. People used to baptize sickly babies. As long as the intent is there it can be legit.

Well, you'd know your doctrine better than me. I thought there had to be a certain amount of direness to the situation to warrant a lay-person baptism.

However I find anyone who does this to children w/o parental consent to be utter assholes about it. You don't do that to someone's family since they don't intend to raise the children as whatever you're trying to baptize them as.

Let me guess your grandmother liked the last guy right?

My poor wife gets it from her mother coming and going - she's going to hell because she's not confirmed, the cuntmuppets are going to hell because they're not baptized, and I'm going to hell because I'm a non-practicing Lutheran.

And I'm the first guy, so she had no standard of comparison. The MIL definitely has a shine on my wife's older sister, who is coming back to baptize her (first and so far only) crotchfruit in November.