WTF CAMPING (and outdoors-like stuff)

My sister pulled a pop up camper all around North America with a Toyota Camry for years. It finally wore out with less than 150K miles and stranded her in California, where I had to find her a used Highlander online to go buy.

Anything is possible, it just depends on for how long.
The Outback is rated for 2700 pounds. But I've seen some pretty sweet ones <1500 pounds.

The Outback is rated for 2700 pounds. But I've seen some pretty sweet ones <1500 pounds.

Yes, I’m pretty sure no one adds that much with belongings. Just make sure you don’t approach the limit, or your car that should get 200k easily may give up sooner.

1500-ish is a good range. It might "handle" more but you not gonna like it in hilly/mountainous areas. Don't be one of those fuckers climbing the hill at 8mph with a train of pissed off people behind you.

Also I don't think the little ones have trailer brakes for the downhill side.

Looks like they make some pretty sweet ultra light things that aren't popups. Not sure I really care about the toilet. So far we've been tent camping, and in the RV we had a no shitting rule. It's been fine.
there are tons of the super-mall types
just a matter of what you want to spend on them

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
@Strings and other knife people...

Sharpening tips-n-tricks appreciated or mostly what is the proper technical name for this sort of "reverse serration"?
Thought it might also be asymmetrical but I think it's just wear.

KIMG2032-1600x1200.jpgKIMG2035-1600x1200.jpg

Little Kershaw I got as a bonus left-behind doing a rental unit. Everything feels nice and solid, just needs a new edge.
I'm fine with doing regular edges and bread knife type serrations you use a round or cone stone for. Never done one of these, don't have anything that shape, and don't even know what to ask for, lol. I assume some size of concave shape stone.

PhotoPictureResizer_190821_142508231-1200x1600.jpg

Seems like you might be able to do it "OK enough" on the edge of a regular stone that's still nice and sharp/square but figured there's a more proper way.

Sharpening tips-n-tricks appreciated or mostly what is the proper technical name for this sort of "reverse serration"?

View attachment 9252View attachment 9253

Little Kershaw I got as a bonus left-behind doing a rental unit. Everything feels nice and solid, just needs a new edge.
I'm fine with doing regular edges and bread knife type serrations you use a round or cone stone for. Never done one of these, don't have anything that shape, and don't even know what to ask for, lol. I assume some size of concave shape stone.

View attachment 9254

Seems like you might be able to do it "OK enough" on the edge of a regular stone that's still nice and sharp/square but figured there's a more proper way.
Kershaw will sharpen the knife for free, for lifetime. https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/product-care

Not gonna discuss knife sharpening, too many competing theories and it depends on the type of edged weapon it is. I will note that many serrated knives are only sharpened on one side, the other side is basically flat - working from both directions creates a interior blade angle that is narrower. Making for better cutting but edge might not last as long. You know, like a lawn mower blade. ;)

Last edited:

View attachment 9252View attachment 9253

View attachment 9254

Like Eddie said, Kershaw will sharpen that for free. You cover shipping.
As far as what they call it. Serrated is the only term I really know of. They do have names for the way knives are shaped at the tip and the edge type. But serrated is serrated. Though I'm sure there is a name for it.
For sharpening. A good whetstone / sharpening stone for the straight edge. And I hear a narrow diamond file for the serrated. Never did the serrated before.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I was forced to pack my pop-up down when it was raining once
then it had to sit for several days before I could dry it out, cuz it was still fuckin raining
when I finally re-opened it, it wasnt molding or anything, just had that "old water" musty smell on it, which being open in the sun for a few days seemed to eliminate
That must have been lovely.

The rain for a few days, not the smell.

I want a tent trailer. I can pull it with my van and would make it super easy to just go anytime we want. It’s on my list.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Kershaw will sharpen the knife for free, for lifetime. https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/product-care

Not gonna discuss knife sharpening, too many competing theories and it depends on the type of edged weapon it is. I will note that many serrated knives are only sharpened on one side, the other side is basically flat - working from both directions creates a interior blade angle that is narrower. Making for better cutting but edge might not last as long. You know, like a lawn mower blade. ;)
Like Eddie said, Kershaw will sharpen that for free. You cover shipping.
As far as what they call it. Serrated is the only term I really know of. They do have names for the way knives are shaped at the tip and the edge type. But serrated is serrated. Though I'm sure there is a name for it.
For sharpening. A good whetstone / sharpening stone for the straight edge. And I hear a narrow diamond file for the serrated. Never did the serrated before.

So it's some voodoo dark art then, thanks guys.
My pappy never mailed his knives anywhere to get 'em sharp.

Fine diamond crust triangle file with one corner a fairly sharp angle sounds like a plan. Thanks for that idea, Strings.

Other side shows the wear/asymmetry better. Fix that up and it'll probably stay good for quite awhile.

KIMG2033-1600x1200.jpg

What I'm calling "bread knife" serrations are the type you sharpen with a round or conical stone.
This is the opposite of that shape, like how a mold is the opposite of the shape it's molding.
There must be different names for different types of serrations, even if it is just convex and concave before you get into the details of radiuses and symmetry .

I do have to say this is a pretty damn good knife. You can feel things are well machined and well put together.
Little spring assist on opening.
Lockback mechanism is tight. No slop. None of that apprehensive feeling like if you hit it too hard it might fold up on you.
Handle is a good shape and parts of it have an almost truck bed liner type texture.
Even without a hilt feels like it might stay in your hand and not end up cutting yourself when things get messy.

Pretty nice.

So it's some voodoo dark art then, thanks guys.
My pappy never mailed his knives anywhere to get 'em sharp.

Fine diamond crust triangle file with one corner a fairly sharp angle sounds like a plan. Thanks for that idea, Strings.

Other side shows the wear/asymmetry better. Fix that up and it'll probably stay good for quite awhile.

View attachment 9257

What I'm calling "bread knife" serrations are the type you sharpen with a round or conical stone.
This is the opposite of that shape, like how a mold is the opposite of the shape it's molding.
There must be different names for different types of serrations, even if it is just convex and concave before you get into the details of radiuses and symmetry .
I think your "convex serrated blade" was pretty accurate. Seem like a lot of trouble for a serrated edge. Most any store that sells the China tools like Harbor Freight has sets of little diamond files cheap. Get a 6-8 pack of different sizes for 10-12 bucks. But diamond files are rarely knife-sharpening fine - maybe a ceramic stick sharpener of right diameter would be better. Or the unglazed edge of a ceramic cup - which actually work very well in a pinch.

I think your "convex serrated blade" was pretty accurate. Seem like a lot of trouble for a serrated edge. Most any store that sells the China tools like Harbor Freight has sets of little diamond files cheap. Get a 6-8 pack of different sizes for 10-12 bucks. But diamond files are rarely knife-sharpening fine - maybe a ceramic stick sharpener of right diameter would be better. Or the unglazed edge of a ceramic cup - which actually work very well in a pinch.

I thought about a ceramic too. Even a little chip scrap piece of something like marble countertop can work.
IIRC the HF files probably be OK to rough shape it but not really fine enough for real sharpening.

Haven't had many knives with serrations. Ones that did I mostly found useful for stuff like stripping wire or to more grab something instead of cut it.

Just figured I'd like to get them shaped up and good and sharp one time and they'll probably stay that way. Most anything else would be using the regular blade part. I find serrations to be more of a hindrance than a help most of the time.

It's this one.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie