WTF CAMPING (and outdoors-like stuff)

Amstel

The Hoarse Whisperer
Jul 12, 2009
you're a whore, but in a good way. Kindof.
Marklar
₥43,517
repost your stuff if you want. Thought maybe a separate camp thread is better than in the snapvag one.

@APRIL @fly

That's only a twin inflatable bed and there was a ton of extra room. I have a queen when I'm camping with a woman, & it's hardly any more crowded. Yes, that's a heater in there on the left.

car camping is a great way to start camping. You can't really be miserable if you can just run to the store & grab tooth brushes, food, drinks, or something else you forgot. Also, you can leave most of what you pack in the car (the back of my truck is 1/2 loaded with horse stuff. I have 3 plastic storage containers with camp stuff, a tent, & the propane tank. If someone calls me to camp, outside of packing clothing, all I have to do is load those 5 items from the garage. (and grab the 2 cast iron pans from the stove.) Hit the grocery store on the way, & done.

It's just so much easier than planning to carry it all so far away from the vehicle. (I can slim down and do that too, just don't see the need.) During the day, I'm away from camp riding horses, hiking, fishing, etc. & leave the valuables locked up in the vehicle

Also, tents that have this shitty feature,

hlEBjFV.jpg

a little 'clean area' to step on before/after getting in/out of the tent, is totally FUCKED UP.

I've seen many people buy into this great idea. The first time you get in/out, sure. By the end of day one it's a fucking dirt mat you have to cross each time you use the tent door, and then, when you break down the tent you have to clean and dry the mofo 'idea' off before putting away your tent. DO NOT succumb to dumb ideas.:p

M3hW1KI.jpg

only way to go.

on the left you can see the 2 inch webbing wrapped around the tree and how it attaches to the tent, the other side of the tent attaches the same except it also has a ratchet on it so you can tighten it up easily (i can set the entire thing up in 3 minutes probably, breakdown is just as quick). this tent has a rainfly built in, but the other option is to run a tarp over the top of it with a line. at night i stick my shoes under the hammock so they won't get rained on or anything. only downside is these are 1 person per types of setups, so if you're wanting to get frisky with your SO... well...

those katadyne filters kept breaking on us and don't really kill all bacteria, so we switched to boiling water. hang a stainless steal canteen above a fire and you're set, use a coffee filter to filter the dirt and stuff out when you put water into the thing. super simple, super effective, super cheap.

every year you go you'll figure out things for yourself though, and your setup will probably get simpler and simpler.

Also, be careful of tents that are not rectangular. The outside dimensions are hardly correct and you end up losing space inside. Further, folding them up is more difficult. Also, tarps (for under the tent) are sold as rectangles as well. Again, what looks like a good idea from the marketing department, isn't always practical in the field. ;)

AND!

tents that have edges like

zaZdYX1.jpg

are worse than,

97QAbdI.jpg

My original tent was like the 1st one. 18 x 10 ft. Sounds nice until you get in there and realize you can't use the last foot on each of the ends of the 18 foot sides because the walls are so angled. The 2nd pic shows walls that go much closer to 90 degrees(from the floor). This is MUCH better for using space inside.

This will be apparent when you lay out sleeping bags at home & measure 'oh, we only need 8x7 feet, then get a tent with those exact dimensions and the tent walls will be all over the edges of your stuff. (not good.) You really do want a little extra room.

Also, virtually everyone I know set up everything in their livingroom 'just to see' and if there wasn't enough room inside, they did it in their back yard PRIOR to actually camping.

Also, you want "Seam Sealer". For the tent prior to the one I have now, I got the one with the 'cotton ball' like dipper that you 'paint' it onto the seams. Worked fine. For this one, I got the spray variety. Also works fine and is cleaner, easier, and faster putting it on (I even did two coats because it was so easy). As long as it's not raining, you can put it on at the campsite. Make sure you've got a couple hrs of good cool dry weather for it to dry. Do NOT worry about drips. Leave them there. They'll dry.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: gee
Also. . .
On a tent like this, you'll see all this massive 'netting' area under the rain fly. This = you'll feel every breeze in the tent all night. & If it's windy, you'll feel that too.

(without the rainfly)
dpSEAkY.jpg

This is what mine looks like without the rain fly.

OniLuoI.png

See that small netting at the top? That's it. Good ventilation, but no wind/breeze unless you want and roll windows down (super easy to do)

I spent four days camping on Kodiac Island in Alaska. It was an eerie feeling climbing into the tent every night knowing the bears outnumbered the people on the island by something like 5 to 1 :omy:

try not to lol, but this http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Headlamp-Brightness-Headlamps-Batteries/dp/B005FEGYJC/

Is a great idea. Some peeps were wearing them on a trip & I thought it looked silly. Months later I see some 2 for $9 deal in my email spam & bought them. Well, fuck me, now there's light everywhere, hands free. Super valuable cooking/cleaning at dusk, but MOST valuable when you're reliving yourself at night in the woods. ymmv.

I own several headlamps that i use on a near daily basis in normal life.

Dont buy shitty headlamps though, that ones a shitty headlamp. Its bright as fuck, but the battery life sucks