WTF CAMPING (and outdoors-like stuff)

Someone can correct this, I don’t care.

Knife talk. Oregon is full of knife makers. Gerber, Leatherman, Fiskers, and maybe others used to be within blocks of each other.

I also have a memory of seeing a wedding announcement in the paper between two of the families at some point.

The knife industry borders on being incestuous.

Someone can correct this, I don’t care.

Knife talk. Oregon is full of knife makers. Gerber, Leatherman, Fiskers, and maybe others used to be within blocks of each other.

I also have a memory of seeing a wedding announcement in the paper between two of the families at some point.

The knife industry borders on being incestuous.

There are people who have more knives than Strings has pedals.
Some of those folks can be super like obsession level into it.

I only got probably a half dozen.

Eh, probably more than double that if you count all the little pocket jack knives and things.

I need to make some sheaths. Got a few older ones in good shape but the sheaths are all wore out or just missing or never had them.

Also some contraption so I can wear my sword on a belt.

There are people who have more knives than Strings has pedals.
Some of those folks can be super like obsession level into it.

I only got probably a half dozen.
My late brother was a knife nut. When he passed there were probably 300+ knives in his place, many doubles, some once collectible - until he fucked up the blades with his shit headed sharpening techniques. Lot of people don't know it but new military weapons(at least up through WWII) came from the factory without a truly sharp edge. The Holy Grail for collectors are those that haven't been sharpened or were professionally sharpened which means you see no secondary angle out by the edge - they match the direction and grain of the original factory grind as closely as possible.
I have maybe 20 knives and a few swords, one really nice vintage Katana with a 3 layer Damascus'd blade. The Katana has 2 small ivory fish, 2 hooks and some silk fishing line that hides underneath the wrap on the hilt - for the traveling soldier.

I used to carry an open-assist knife from buck
that blade would hold an edge forever, but I lost the damn thing
I have a kershaw now, and it wont hold an edge for nuthin

Wondering if this one might be like that.
Screwing around with it yesterday it sharpens up fairly quick/easy, which means it probably go dull quick and easy too.

Rest of it is made really well, hope the blade isn't too soft.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Wondering if this one might be like that.
Screwing around with it yesterday it sharpens up fairly quick/easy, which means it probably go dull quick and easy too.

Rest of it is made really well, hope the blade isn't too soft.
That's always the rub. Soft blades don't break if you do something stupid/unexpected but the edge doesn't last. Some of the newer grades of stainless play that fairly well to the middle. Still, hard to beat good carbon steel for razor sharp that lasts.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
That's always the rub. Soft blades don't break if you do something stupid/unexpected but the edge doesn't last. Some of the newer grades of stainless play that fairly well to the middle. Still, hard to beat good carbon steel for razor sharp that lasts.
Just don't go hacking up bricks with the carbon steel and you'll be fine.

I generally don't go using them as a hammer.
Hand is pretty well calibrated as far as feeling how hard you can pry on things.
Did break the tip off one once. Don't remember what I was doing but something where I knew I was maybe pushing my luck a little bit.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I stopped my work truck once in the middle of a YW lame country road to pick up an object I saw in the road, and it turned out to be a bloody Gerber folding knife.

I still carry it in my manpurse, I think 26 years later.

I used to carry an open-assist knife from buck
that blade would hold an edge forever, but I lost the damn thing
I have a kershaw now, and it wont hold an edge for nuthin

So this Kershaw is also soft bladed like that.

Shaved/whittled off 2-3 inches worth of about a thumb size stick, then scraped a little spot on a metal shop cart, like cleaning a little crap off a surface.
That much took the nice edge away.

I'd call it more of an emergency defense weapon and not really a working tool type knife.
Good little stabber. Nice grip and won't break off in there, lol.

Same thing with a level or two harder blade in it would make it really nice but I wouldn't give what they ask retail for this one.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant