Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember having something apart that had head studs. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though.

Those were new to me too @HipHugHer (geezers :) ). I looked at the official ARP site. Neat concept. ?Are you guys actually measuring the stud length on subsequent teardown to see if they have stretched too far?
I checked the torque of the fastener after breakin on my VG30DETT, but it was still right there at 100 lb-ft, so therefore the stud must not have stretched too much.

The stock head bolts are TTY, so they weren't reusable. The studs were only about $15 more, and are reusable.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I checked the torque of the fastener after breakin on my VG30DETT, but it was still right there at 100 lb-ft, so therefore the stud must not have stretched too much.

The stock head bolts are TTY, so they weren't reusable. The studs were only about $15 more, and are reusable.
Torque in regards to bolt tightening is just the amount of force required to overcome incremental increases in friction. Torque readings (friction) are affected by thread quality, composition of lubricant, and surface finish of the bolt. Are you using a dial or clicker type TW? Not that it would matter if the bolt was stretching or stretched. ARP suggestion is to check the length for stretch before re-use. Possibly a bit anal but understandable in theory.
None of this is a critique of what you are doing with them.

Last edited:
We went up to CT for a baby shower. Us guys were going to chill at a brew and pizza place.

One of the husbands needed a ride because his "battery was dead". Mechanic friend said this that and the other needs repairs, etc, after seeing pictures.

I suggested a can of coke to clean the dirty terminals.

Can of coke worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.