Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gee @Jehannum @Domon

Recommendation on a somewhat cheap, but not horrible variable power supply for testing automotive components and such?

Also, if anyone has an idea why autocorrect tried to turn "domon" into "domonique" I'd appreciate that as well.

It’s his lady robot body name, for special occasions.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots and Domon
Fixed power supply:

A 500W power supply probably won't be happy starting up a compressor or some other load with a lot of inrush current. Most PC power supplies do hiccup current limiting, and have multiple 12V rails instead of a big single one, and aren't happy having multiple 12V outputs tied together.

I'd use a battery charger and an old 12V battery, or buy a new motorcycle/lawn tractor battery or something. Buy a cheap fused battery terminal block from the car audio section of walmart or autozone or wherever to connect to the battery, to limit the short circuit current if something fucks up.

Variable power supply:

Kinda depends, how many amps and what voltage range do you need?

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and adi
Fixed power supply:

A 500W power supply probably won't be happy starting up a compressor or some other load with a lot of inrush current. Most PC power supplies do hiccup current limiting, and have multiple 12V rails instead of a big single one, and aren't happy having multiple 12V outputs tied together.

I'd use a battery charger and an old 12V battery, or buy a new motorcycle/lawn tractor battery or something. Buy a cheap fused battery terminal block from the car audio section of walmart or autozone or wherever to connect to the battery, to limit the short circuit current if something fucks up.

Variable power supply:

Kinda depends, how many amps and what voltage range do you need?
I would think that the most I'd need would be 24V, amps I'm not sure. Mostly small stuff under 10-15A? Might even be able to get away with 5A

30V/10A is a common bench supply rating. You can get chinese ones for $50ish.

Also watch eBay and local auction sites, you might be able to score one. I've got a 15V/20A Xantrex supply I bought at an auction for $20.

they could probably be used to power pedals..
Buy a proper pedal power board with separate/isolated outputs, or just use a bunch of separate wall warts on a power bar. Lots of pedals do different shit inside, and act wonky if you're using them together and power them off a common power supply.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Buy a proper pedal power board with separate/isolated outputs, or just use a bunch of separate wall warts on a power bar. Lots of pedals do different shit inside, and act wonky if you're using them together and power them off a common power supply.
true gee baba, with the non iso ones sometimes some trickery works most times not

Old battery with a trickle charger hooked up
Hell yes - that or solar panel charger, which is what I do. I have a big marine battery I've used with a 12v winch hundreds of times or with an 1500 watt inverter to run lights, drills and even a small table saw. The inverter could handle the startup on the compressor above.

I need a 12v power supply in the garage so I can use the air compressor for non auto tires and not have to turn a car on.

I have a 500 watt atx psu.

Think that’s enough for a simple car tire filler upper?

If by having to turn a car on you mean one of those little ones like you find in an emergency kit or something, even an inexpensive one of these with a cigarette lighter port on it will work fine.

booster_pac_es2500_sh6shy.jpg

Does the same thing as an old battery and trickle charger. Can have it plugged in the garage, or throw it in the car trunk as part of an emergency kit.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Status
Not open for further replies.