Thread Your Cream Gayrodge

I only had to replace shocks once, on an ancient and well beaten 1980 Chevy Monza. Other than that, suspension work never went past alignments.

My last mustang was 10 years old, and I had to replace the clutch once (my fault completely), and the alternator once. That's it.

The Jeep Cherokee I had before that actually had more issues than my mustang had, and I only had that for a couple short years.

It means something on comparison. A porsche and a kia say different things about their drivers.
Not really, except for the fact that KIA is a bitch pain in the ass to fix and there are better economy cars. Most of my own car work is done myself or for free because I have the tools already and one of my brothers is a career mechanic. I could see myself owning either, though using a Porsche as an everyday driver would be more hassle than it's worth in a lot of places (I've lost like 6 headlights to parking lots/valet parking).

Initial quality doesn't tell me much, show me a 10 year old model that's been driven in less than ideal conditions, or even a 5 year old model.

We have two vehicles, same year, similar initial cost when new (Both purchased used), similar miles, one Toyota one GM.

I'll let you folks guess which one isn't falling apart inside.
The quality of GM stuff is all over the place. I've seen 3 year old trucks with no metal left, but I had an Impala for years 7-11 of it's life that never broke (until I ran into a Jeep Liberty head on).

The quality of GM stuff is all over the place. I've seen 3 year old trucks with no metal left, but I had an Impala for years 7-11 of it's life that never broke (until I ran into a Jeep Liberty head on).

The exterior quality is excellent, the paint is some of the best stuff I've seen in years. And the engine, of course, I expect no issues with.

I think they may have omitted the thread locker on all interior components, and there's electrical issues.

The exterior quality is excellent, the paint is some of the best stuff I've seen in years. And the engine, of course, I expect no issues with.

I think they may have omitted the thread locker on all interior components, and there's electrical issues.

You haven't seen the body and paint quality of the VW group of cars. 30 layers of paint on galvanized steel panels. No wonder they have 12 year rust warranties. Chim's car had a BB gun shot that couldn't go through.

You haven't seen the body and paint quality of the VW group of cars. 30 layers of paint on galvanized steel panels. No wonder they have 12 year rust warranties. Chim's car had a BB gun shot that couldn't go through.

Most of the cars coming out of Japan had terrible paint quality until the last couple years. It made sense though, because in Japan they only keep cars for 3-4 years before trading them in. If the goal is to look nice for 3-4 years a single stage base and clear mix is fine. Toyota was notorious for that.

I had a 2001 Chevy Blazer for a few years. at 94k mi, the thrust bearing on the crankshaft went. Either a new motor or grind down the crankshaft and sort of roll with it.

Not to mention replacing 4-6 fucking wheel bearings in its life, broken door latch (yes GM it is a smart idea to tack weld the door latch to 20 gauge metal in the door frame) and all of the fucking ball joints. $400-600 in ball joints & labor every fucking year. What a money pit that truck was. Amazingly it had no rust on it when I got rid of it. Fuck GM man.

I had a 2001 Chevy Blazer for a few years. at 94k mi, the thrust bearing on the crankshaft went. Either a new motor or grind down the crankshaft and sort of roll with it.

Not to mention replacing 4-6 fucking wheel bearings in its life, broken door latch (yes GM it is a smart idea to tack weld the door latch to 20 gauge metal in the door frame) and all of the fucking ball joints. $400-600 in ball joints & labor every fucking year. What a money pit that truck was. Amazingly it had no rust on it when I got rid of it. Fuck GM man.

Heh, I've heard the exact same rant from other people. I wonder what it is with their ball joints.

Heh, I've heard the exact same rant from other people. I wonder what it is with their ball joints.
The life expectancy for ball joints varies depending on the kind of vehicle and driving you're doing. Generally speaking if your car has over 80,000 miles, the ball joints are shot.