Ontopic Yet another reason the iPad is not on my list

This I completely disagree with. It is by far the sexiest looking tablet ever conceived.
It's completely ugly.

As I've said before, it looks like one of those GIANT remotes for old bats that can't see shit:

Monster%20Sized%20TV%20Remote%20Control.jpg

Certainly its an elegant device, but it really seems to lack purpose.
I mean, purpose other than filling Jobs' pockets with benjamins.

DING DING DING DING

It doesn't offer any kind of revolutionary thinking to tablet computing, it's just a supersized version of shit they already make.

Now, someone who creates a tablet, with a completely customized & revolutionary GUI designed specifically for hyper efficient tablet computing, that also removes the need for any keyboard by accepting vocal input for data that can't otherwise be brought in via touch interface or data input is going to be the man who really takes tablet computing to a level beyond 'Gizmo'.

DING DING DING DING

It doesn't offer any kind of revolutionary thinking to tablet computing, it's just a supersized version of shit they already make.

Now, someone who creates a tablet, with a completely customized & revolutionary GUI designed specifically for hyper efficient tablet computing, that also removes the need for any keyboard by accepting vocal input for data that can't otherwise be brought in via touch interface or data input is going to be the man who really takes tablet computing to a level beyond 'Gizmo'.

lol, hype

Apple says the iPad rocks. What the fuck should they say? It's called marketing.

Haha wtf that's even bigger! The issue most are having is using the iPad as an e-reader, it's too big and heavy to use. This is even worse. Also UMPC and MID critics site terrible experiences with typing on tablet devices over long periods of time. Look at how Jobs had to prop up his knees to be able to type.

And Duke, touch interfaces are far better than voice-activated because you don't disturb others with touch. There is a very valid reason cell phones are banned on planes and it is not only just the cell tower issues. It was noise considerations for other passengers with everyone talking. Watching movies on a plane is a legit reason to have an iPad, especially with wifi on planes and the Netflix streaming app, just add headphones.

Haha wtf that's even bigger! The issue most are having is using the iPad as an e-reader, it's too big and heavy to use. This is even worse. Also UMPC and MID critics site terrible experiences with typing on tablet devices over long periods of time. Look at how Jobs had to prop up his knees to be able to type.

And Duke, touch interfaces are far better than voice-activated because you don't disturb others with touch. There is a very valid reason cell phones are banned on planes and it is not only just the cell tower issues. It was noise considerations for other passengers with everyone talking. Watching movies on a plane is a legit reason to have an iPad, especially with wifi on planes and the Netflix streaming app, just add headphones.

Thats because the iPad is a TERRIBLE e-reader, but that's really all Apple could sell it as...

Thats because the iPad is a TERRIBLE e-reader, but that's really all Apple could sell it as...

Agreed. Although there are some awesome games for it and now on my iphone, I can envision how these apps would work on an bigger, lap-style device.

I think the iPhone works well without an app store, but the iPad almost requires an app store to be useful.

haha. i just went to the apple store and they had a demo. It was nice. Especially this racing game i was playing. Granted its a bit bulky and a line to hell to get to it but i think its a pretty cool gadget

lol wut?

Since when are planes quiet? And cell phones, last flights I took, are back to being useable when not in take off or landing mode. Not to mention the airlines put phones in their seats so people could make calls. lol noise concerns on a flight. Besides, there are plenty of options for watching movies on a flight. Better ones. One's where you can bring your own media. Ipads won't play DVDs, and I've never had an issue watching or using my laptop on a flight. ever. Even back when laptops were the bigger cousins of what they are now.

lol wut?

Since when are planes quiet? And cell phones, last flights I took, are back to being useable when not in take off or landing mode. Not to mention the airlines put phones in their seats so people could make calls. lol noise concerns on a flight. Besides, there are plenty of options for watching movies on a flight. Better ones. One's where you can bring your own media. Ipads won't play DVDs, and I've never had an issue watching or using my laptop on a flight. ever. Even back when laptops were the bigger cousins of what they are now.

Well, when one of the leading carriers of the US states that the FAA should keep the ban on cell phones while in flight because of noise concerns for other passengers, one takes notice.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-06-15-cell-ban-usat_x.htm

In the past 2 years of plane travel I have been doing for my company I have not seen a plane with a phone anymore. I used to see them, but every plane I have been on lately hasn't had them.

iPads won't play DVDs, but who cares when you can stream netflix on Virgin Airlines (or the many other planes with wifi)? or load it up with iTunes.

I have had issues using laptops on planes because taking them out of the bag and propping them up to view them takes a lot of space, even netbooks, especially in Economy. An iPad, however, can slip very easily into a bag and you don't need the seat tray, it won't get hot in your lap, and when food comes, it's quite easy to hide a device that thin away while you eat.

Well, when one of the leading carriers of the US states that the FAA should keep the ban on cell phones while in flight because of noise concerns for other passengers, one takes notice.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-06-15-cell-ban-usat_x.htm

In the past 2 years of plane travel I have been doing for my company I have not seen a plane with a phone anymore. I used to see them, but every plane I have been on lately hasn't had them.

iPads won't play DVDs, but who cares when you can stream netflix on Virgin Airlines (or the many other planes with wifi)? or load it up with iTunes.

I have had issues using laptops on planes because taking them out of the bag and propping them up to view them takes a lot of space, even netbooks, especially in Economy. An iPad, however, can slip very easily into a bag and you don't need the seat tray, it won't get hot in your lap, and when food comes, it's quite easy to hide a device that thin away while you eat.

:lol: Seriously dude.

First, your link, is FIVE years old! lol. Welcome to last decade. DO you work for Fox? Where did you learn spin?

Second, Cingular a top carrier? They don't even exist anymore. F'in retard :lol: :lol:

Third. Sure, an Ipad may be more convenient to stow, but if you are really having issues working a laptop on a plane, then even having an iPad probably won't help you.

And the reason planes don't have phones? Because YOU CAN USE YOUR CELL NOW. And they needed the real estate for the monitors they put in the back of every seat now. seriously dB. that was a weak attempt at a counter.

:lol: Seriously dude.

First, your link, is FIVE years old! lol. Welcome to last decade. DO you work for Fox? Where did you learn spin?

Second, Cingular a top carrier? They don't even exist anymore. F'in retard :lol: :lol:

Third. Sure, an Ipad may be more convenient to stow, but if you are really having issues working a laptop on a plane, then even having an iPad probably won't help you.

And the reason planes don't have phones? Because YOU CAN USE YOUR CELL NOW. And they needed the real estate for the monitors they put in the back of every seat now. seriously dB. that was a weak attempt at a counter.

The point is you can't use your cell in mid flight. That's the concern. The 10 minutes before and after the flight while you are on the tarmac is not as significant as the multiple hours in flight.

And Cingular IS a top carrier, because it's AT&T now. And the Verizon spokesperson said the same thing, too. Read more of the article.

As to another newer article.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/AheadoftheCurve/story?id=6833039&page=4

Both Delta and American use Aircell's in-flight Internet service to turn their aircraft into flying Wi-Fi hotspots. But though Aircell is capable of enabling voice services, it says consumer preference is as much of a hurdle right now as the cell phone ban.

"The airline and the passengers themselves say they don't want that service," Joe Cruz, Aircell's chief technology officer, told ABCNews.com. "They want peace and quiet when they're flying."

But as I see it, this is one use case that the iPad does quite well in, but there are few others.

I've used one. it's small imo and light as well

People talk on planes all the time. I don't think I've ever been on a flight we everyone seated near me was dead quite..

People talk on planes all the time. I don't think I've ever been on a flight we everyone seated near me was dead quite..

Actually, I take that back. When I flew business class to Australia, during the night most everyone was asleep. Ironically though, a guy did use the in flight phone while everyone was a sleep (except me), and it wasn't bad.

according to my friend who is an ATP - planes need their own repeater to be installed for cell calls. there's only a few carriers of this, Lufthansa is the only one I know.

the problem is that you are travelling too fast between repeaters on the ground, and over water there's none at all (or scant) - you'd constantly drop calls.

I was wondering about that. I've never gotten a signal on a plane after a few 1000ft but I keep hearing you can make calls now