Why do I have to wash my hands after peeing?

Fat Burger said:
I don't bleach the countertops, because the poultry never touches it, it's always on a cutting board or plate. But otherwise, yes.
I always spray the counters and stove down and clean them after I cook, to me it's all part of post-cooking cleanup.

zengirl said:
Which is why you can stick with the smoked salmon sushi. I love sushi but I'm pretty particular to only eat cooked sushi (spider rolls, things with crab and shrimp, smoked salmon) I stay away from the raw fish. Although you're absolutely right, if you make your own sushi, you need to specifically state your intention to your fish supplier as they give you a whole different grade of fish.
I'm going by what an old sushi chef has told me, as such I limit where I eat it now - but I do eat everything raw :drool:

We've done our own tuna, but I'd never attempt salmon

I plan on having a marble slab built into my countertops in my next house, than I won't have to worry about cutting boards (yes, I will sanitize it after cutting raw meat on it.

ChikkenNoodul said:
I'm going by what an old sushi chef has told me, as such I limit where I eat it now - but I do eat everything raw :drool:

We've done our own tuna, but I'd never attempt salmon
I never buy fish or sushi on Sundays or Mondays, as Fish mongers are typically closed then, and you're getting old fish.

My brother's a chef and he taught me that.

kiwi said:
I plan on having a marble slab built into my countertops in my next house, than I won't have to worry about cutting boards (yes, I will sanitize it after cutting raw meat on it.
Marble is porous. That's not going to help you out.

kiwi said:
Are you sure? My sister is a chef (we'll has been in the past) and that's what she uses.
9) Marble
Because of it's extremely high price tag, marble is not often seen on the countertops of whole kitchens. To get the luxurious look, use it on an island or inset at a baking center. Marble requires constant maintenance, as it easily stains. Some new sealers retard staining.
Pros: waterproof; heatproof; beautiful.
Cons: expensive; porous; stains easily unless professionally sealed; can scratch; may need resealing periodically as per manufacturer.

http://interiordec.about.com/od/kitchencounters/tp/tp_countertops.htm

marble is GREAT for pastry and baking as it stays cold and doesn't melt the butter in your dough, but you shouldn't use it as a cutting block..

zengirl said:
marble is GREAT for pastry and baking as it stays cold and doesn't melt the butter in your dough, but you shouldn't use it as a cutting block..

That is more what she uses it for, I guess as I think about it she doesn't really use it as a cuting block, oh well, I'll just get granite than.

kiwi said:
That is more what she uses it for, I guess as I think about it she doesn't really use it as a cuting block, oh well, I'll just get granite than.
Yeah, it's really expensive too, so most of the time you only have one section of counter top in marble, and that's your pastry corner.. .you also use a marble rolling pin, it's so fantastic for dough.

My grandmother had a great big huge glass cutting top installed in her counter, it's built in... that's great for setting hot pots and pans on as well for cutting, I'd want something like that between my sink and stove for shopping and hot pots.

April23 said:
Why don't you just order in and forget about the silly counter tops.

That is actually my preferred method of cooking. :)

zengirl said:
Yeah, it's really expensive too, so most of the time you only have one section of counter top in marble, and that's your pastry corner.. .you also use a marble rolling pin, it's so fantastic for dough.

My grandmother had a great big huge glass cutting top installed in her counter, it's built in... that's great for setting hot pots and pans on as well for cutting, I'd want something like that between my sink and stove for shopping and hot pots.

My sister has just a slab (she is in an apartment) that she uses for cooking and the marble rolling pin. She actually got the marble for Christmas and couldn't even lift it, she had to have someone else put it in her car and then take it from her car to her house.