GAY Why are the male Republicans so interested in lady bits all of a sudden?

you do realize ZRH was home schooled, right?

edit: so just for sex ed, not overall schooling?

lol @ ZRH. in his defense, home schoolers out perform the rest of us at every level. statistically.

and re: sex ed, I'm open and honest about it. it's not a class, it's just an involved parent that's watching his child go through puberty & wanting to make sure she's not terrified of the changes that she's got no control over, and her having the confidence that she's a normal regular girl.

boring dad story.
for instance, one morning before a horse show, she was doubled over in cramps (hadn't gotten her period yet). She was in 6th grade. We had everything at home for a stomach ache, and I didn't know if it was butterflies for the show or her period was starting. We had talked about this all before but had no supplies yet. So I went to the store & grabbed a bunch of pads 'just in case.' An hour later it turned out to just be butterflies. no issues, but shortly after that we did go to the store, so she could pick out pads, and about 10 of these zip cases http://i.imgur.com/tqbQq.jpg (like a girlie pencil case) and they're everywhere. two in the car, two at the barn, one for her book bag, one for her locker, one in each bathroom @ home, etc. She didn't understand why we'd have them everywhere, & I just explained that when you get it you get it. You'll need them at school, home, when we're out, and if we lose one, we'll have a backup. no biggie, let's just make sure we've got them available wherever you might be. We talked more in depth about what happens (I have painfully informative sisters), etc. We even talked about what might happen if a friend of hers gets her first period & comes to her for help. grab one of these cases & get to the bathroom. no biggie. it's gonna happen to all you girls. '"It" happened about 1.5 yrs later, at home, and was pretty easy - I think in part because we had talked so much about it, and about what was going on with her friends who did and didn't have it yet. I think I'm involved and handling the situation appropriately for exactly where she's at

I think it's important to remember that at school you're getting processed, not cared for.

Last edited:
DON'T BASH THORNBIRD!!!! The rage of this entire forum will come down on you like you've never seen.

That's not a bash, merely stating fact. Kinda like teaching about contraception and how they are used.

eh, not really. My only real complaint is when the state is picking up the tab for someone not being responsible.

preventing people who can't afford abortions and birth control from getting them will result in you picking up the tab in some other fashion. poverty is only made worse by unwanted pregnancy and puts an additional strain on the economy. pay for it now or pay for it later

besides, you can bitch about paying things you disagree with once everyone else has cashed their reimbursement check for the iraq war

lol @ ZRH. in his defense, home schoolers out perform the rest of us at every level. statistically.

and re: sex ed, I'm open and honest about it. it's not a class, it's just an involved parent that's watching his child go through puberty & wanting to make sure she's not terrified of the changes that she's got no control over, and her having the confidence that she's a normal regular girl.

boring dad story.
for instance, one morning before a horse show, she was doubled over in cramps (hadn't gotten her period yet). She was in 6th grade. We had everything at home for a stomach ache, and I didn't know if it was butterflies for the show or her period was starting. We had talked about this all before but had no supplies yet. So I went to the store & grabbed a bunch of pads 'just in case.' An hour later it turned out to just be butterflies. no issues, but shortly after that we did go to the store, so she could pick out pads, and about 10 of these zip cases http://i.imgur.com/tqbQq.jpg (like a girlie pencil case) and they're everywhere. two in the car, two at the barn, one for her book bag, one for her locker, one in each bathroom @ home, etc. She didn't understand why we'd have them everywhere, & I just explained that when you get it you get it. You'll need them at school, home, when we're out, and if we lose one, we'll have a backup. no biggie, let's just make sure we've got them available wherever you might be. We talked more in depth about what happens (I have painfully informative sisters), etc. We even talked about what might happen if a friend of hers gets her first period & comes to her for help. grab one of these cases & get to the bathroom. no biggie. it's gonna happen to all you girls. '"It" happened about 1.5 yrs later, at home, and was pretty easy - I think in part because we had talked so much about it, and about what was going on with her friends who did and didn't have it yet. I think I'm involved and handling the situation appropriately for exactly where she's at

I think it's important to remember that at school you're getting processed, not cared for.

But sex education IS a class. There ARE lots of things that are classroom-friendly in the field of sexual health and function. The ethics about WHY you do certain activities and functions can be taught at home, but to completely disavow knowledge that is factual, useful, and helpful in making independent thinkers of students is a terrible disservice. Teach me how a condom works and the advantages and disadvantages are of them in class, tell me not to use them because they are against your religion at home, and have the child decide what to do.

The United States is a religiously connected country, always has been, always will be.

Fuck. That. Noise. Such an idea needs to be fought against. The sooner religion is pushed out of the social consciousness to the point that it's seen as a novelty, the sooner our society will improve and advance beyond our wildest imaginations.
Regardless of the long ranted about "separation of church and state" a HUGE (omg, MAJORITY) percentage of the voting public is religious and therefore base their voting decisions on what they hear in church.

As opposed to what they learn in school. That should sicken anyone who values reason and education over fantasy and dogma.
Regardless of the origin of their reasoning, or what MINORITY of people disagree with it, they're still the ones voting for what they want in greater numbers. Democracy is working, the people (ie the VOTING MAJORITY) are getting what they want from their government.

You may disagree with them, but the fact remains that they outnumber you, and since we live in a place where things are decided by who has the most votes they are getting their way and are happy about it.

For now.

what the fuck does abortion have to do with the iraq war?

it was a direct response to your quote. you were complaining about the state picking up the tab for people being irresponsible. you don't want taxpayer money spent on things you don't agree with

Join the club.

But sex education IS a class. There ARE lots of things that are classroom-friendly in the field of sexual health and function. The ethics about WHY you do certain activities and functions can be taught at home, but to completely disavow knowledge that is factual, useful, and helpful in making independent thinkers of students is a terrible disservice. Teach me how a condom works and the advantages and disadvantages are of them in class, tell me not to use them because they are against your religion at home, and have the child decide what to do.

I don't want sex ed out of the class room, I want it limited to biology. As I stated before, kids are good with facts, but they're not all 'hormoneally' at the same place so telling them, hey, masturbate away! you've got kids that have no clue what the purpose would be, others that are, yeah, doin' that, and others are 'dude, you are so last year!'

The problem you run into is a one size fits all solution that doesn't fit all. This has been shown simply by eileen,
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by eileenbunny
The United States has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the industrialized world. The Center for Disease control says that one-third of girls get pregnant before the age of 20.

no one is disavowing anything. & to claim it to further your point is silly.

it was a direct response to your quote. you were complaining about the state picking up the tab for people being irresponsible. you don't want taxpayer money spent on things you don't agree with

Join the club.

Typical lib response. "we completely fucked this up over here, so we might as well waste tons of money over here too."

Typical lib response. "we completely fucked this up over here, so we might as well waste tons of money over here too."

herp derp, you can't see the analogy after it was clearly explained to you so you resort to name calling

Funding abortion, contraception, and sex education is not a waste of money. If anything it saves money and the overall results are a net positive for society. It's also a relatively insignificant amount of money.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
I don't want sex ed out of the class room, I want it limited to biology. As I stated before, kids are good with facts, but they're not all 'hormoneally' at the same place so telling them, hey, masturbate away! you've got kids that have no clue what the purpose would be, others that are, yeah, doin' that, and others are 'dude, you are so last year!'

The problem you run into is a one size fits all solution that doesn't fit all. This has been shown simply by eileen,

no one is disavowing anything. & to claim it to further your point is silly.

using that jarring statistic does further her point significantly and entirely diminish yours. we have kids popping out babies because people like you want sex ed kept out of schools and left only in the home. in your instance that might work but not all homes are equal and some kids could avoid wrecking their lives with sex ed being taught in schools. the facts don't get any simpler than that.

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
using that jarring statistic does further her point significantly and entirely diminish yours. we have kids popping out babies because people like you want sex ed kept out of schools and left only in the home. in your instance that might work but not all homes are equal and some kids could avoid wrecking their lives with sex ed being taught in schools. the facts don't get any simpler than that.

No. It furthers my point of the significance of parenting and the lack of sex ed going on in the house. For anyone to claim that 'we'll just put it in the school and that will MAKE it better' is as effective as saying, let's hand out books at school to fix it.

Schools do not replace parents. And eileen has shown that to be exactly the case.

You'd have more traction if you argued for packets being sent home with 6th graders for their parents to read including "this is a class that is taught through the park district that is hugely valuable because YOU will be the biggest determining factor on whether you child has sex, contracts STD's, and/or becomes a teen parent."

herp derp, you can't see the analogy after it was clearly explained to you so you resort to name calling

Funding abortion, contraception, and sex education is not a waste of money. If anything it saves money and the overall results are a net positive for society. It's also a relatively insignificant amount of money.

It was a shitty controversial analogy. I don't care about the edu part, but it didn't stop eileen from getting pregnant and she was over educated if anything. Makes me question if it does actually make a difference or if it gives kids a false confidence that sex can in fact be safe, even though there is always a risk involved.

I fully understand the burden of unwanted kids vs cost of abortion argument, and also support state funded sterilization btw.

No. It furthers my point of the significance of parenting and the lack of sex ed going on in the house. For anyone to claim that 'we'll just put it in the school and that will MAKE it better' is as effective as saying, let's hand out books at school to fix it.

Schools do not replace parents. And eileen has shown that to be exactly the case.

You'd have more traction if you argued for packets being sent home with 6th graders for their parents to read including "this is a class that is taught through the park district that is hugely valuable because YOU will be the biggest determining factor on whether you child has sex, contracts STD's, and/or becomes a teen parent."

burying your head in the sand fixes nothing. that's all you're proposing here.

It was a shitty controversial analogy. I don't care about the edu part, but it didn't stop eileen from getting pregnant and she was over educated if anything. Makes me question if it does actually make a difference or if it gives kids a false confidence that sex can in fact be safe, even though there is always a risk involved.

I fully understand the burden of unwanted kids vs cost of abortion argument, and also support state funded sterilization btw.

Wait a minute, how am I suddenly being used as an example of how education doesn't? I was an adult when I had an abortion and it had nothing to do with being educated or not.

I'm confused about the argument people keep using that the majority of Americans are religious and get their info and opinions in church. How many people here on this forum go to church? In fact, I'm pretty sure it isn't a majority at all. A quick search revealed this

Q: How many people go to church each Sunday?
A: For years, the Gallup Research Organization has come up with a consistent figure — 40 percent of all Americans, or roughly 118 million people, who said they attended worship on the previous weekend. Recently, sociologists of religion have questioned that figure, saying Americans tend to exaggerate how often they attend. By actually counting the number of people who showed up at representative sample of churches, two researchers, Kirk Hadaway and Penny Marler found that only 20.4 percent of the population, or half the Gallup figure, attended church each weekend.

That doesn't strike me as a majority. Perhaps if the question were about who believes in God the numbers would be different. I think I believe in some kind of higher power, but that doesn't make me want to go to church. As far as I can tell organized religion breeds an awful lot of hate and intolerance. This is not to say that all religious people are bad. I don't think that at all. Many of them are very good people. It just seems the bad ones are louder than the good ones. I wish we could hear from some of the ones that follow in Jesus's reported footsteps and spread love and tolerance and charity, THAT is what should be on Fox News every night.

burying your head in the sand fixes nothing. that's all you're proposing here.

Which one is an example of burying your head in the sand:
a) Getting the parents involved because they're not now involved.

b) Continuing the same school based effort that yeilds:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by eileenbunny
The United States has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the industrialized world. The Center for Disease control says that one-third of girls get pregnant before the age of 20.

I'm the one who's advocating change to something that's actually shown to work.

Which one is an example of burying your head in the sand:
a) Getting the parents involved because they're not now involved.

b) Continuing the same school based effort that yeilds:

I'm the one who's advocating change to something that's actually shown to work.

the parents should already be intervening here. removing school from the equation is trying to tell me less is more. you can't be that stupid.

the parents should already be intervening here. removing school from the equation is trying to tell me less is more. you can't be that stupid.

The parent's aren't involved. Your solution to this is looking elsewhere. That's what's not working. I'm for getting the message right at school, not the continued wrong message.

Again, you'd have a better argument if you advocated different ways to get the parents involved. Look around the globe or ask a teen - it's the parents.