GAY Who are the Flatboi Downs-Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where? I'll give him a beat down.

There has to be something racist. There's always something racist.

Aha!
He's using the black guy as a beast of burden.
Probably not giving him equal pay to that of an equally qualified mule either.

I need to shut off the politics news and go do laundry or something.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant and nukes
Picked up a nice lawnmower yesterday that just needs a new primer bulb and spark plug.

Also got a real nice, pretty elaborate cat playhouse thing from some people that apparently don't own a single basic household tool.
Tightened a few bolts and presto, solid as Sears.

We will see what fortune this glorious day brings.

I either need a .142 B or to accept that I'll never have a solid B on this bass and just put an F on top.

Leaning towards top end because I get more mileage out of flamenco strumming then I do a sloppy B.

.142 is pretty damn heavy. I might be leaning toward "it's the bass and not the string".

Also it might seem counterintuitive but I've had thicker actually make the problem worse whereas going a little bit thinner (not too much though) actually seem more solid/well balanced. Probably something to do with harmonic structure/perceived clarity, etc.

I run 45,65,80,100 on my 4-strings for that reason. I like to think it keeps some heft in the higher strings without the low ones getting too muddy but it might be all in my head.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
What you're hearing it through?

Decent studio monitors, real PA with subs are good.
Some bass rigs good, some not so much down there.
I think that's where some of my "thinner string fixed it" came from.
Kept going fatter trying to get more oomph out of a rig but then plugged that into a real full range system and it was too much woof.

Headphones can be tricky.
Great for critical listening but doesn't always translate the same as coming through the air in a room some distance from the speakers.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
I've deemed my dishwasher to be a fire hazard and not worth the expense of rectification.

Gonna kick it to the curb and go find a functional model somebody threw out just because they're "updating" their kitchen.*

* That's when people trash all God's creation with perfectly serviceable items because some mouthy hausfrau or snooty sissyboy are more concerned with having fashionable appliances than they are with abusing the very earth mother that gives them life.

.142 is pretty damn heavy. I might be leaning toward "it's the bass and not the string".

Also it might seem counterintuitive but I've had thicker actually make the problem worse whereas going a little bit thinner (not too much though) actually seem more solid/well balanced. Probably something to do with harmonic structure/perceived clarity, etc.

I run 45,65,80,100 on my 4-strings for that reason. I like to think it keeps some heft in the higher strings without the low ones getting too muddy but it might be all in my head.
Agreed - a 135 B seems the sweet spot.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
I'm leaning towards the bridge being a problem. Strings balance between bridge and nut. A bad bridge can ruin a bass.
Even with Kalium's (Circle K) tapered .136 it just not enough tension to get it to sing. It takes a lot more pull and a significant shift of my hand to match what I get from the other strings. The string really needs to be moving but I tend towards a tight and controlled plucking hand. I'm never satisfied with the character of the sustain when I get on it.

I think it's simply a fundamental problem of the scale length and K makes a .142 so that's my last hope for a B.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Status
Not open for further replies.