GAY Who are the Flatboi Downs-Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with Kalium's (Circle K) tapered .136 it just not enough tension to get it to sing. It takes a lot more pull and a significant shift of my hand to match what I get from the other strings. The string really needs to be moving but I tend towards a tight and controlled plucking hand. I'm never satisfied with the character of the sustain when I get on it.

I think it's simply a fundamental problem of the scale length and K makes a .142 so that's my last hope for a B.
D'Adarrio sells the nickel XLs in .145. In the even tensioned sets and uneven.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: nukes and HipHugHer
Even with Kalium's (Circle K) tapered .136 it just not enough tension to get it to sing. It takes a lot more pull and a significant shift of my hand to match what I get from the other strings. The string really needs to be moving but I tend towards a tight and controlled plucking hand. I'm never satisfied with the character of the sustain when I get on it.

I think it's simply a fundamental problem of the scale length and K makes a .142 so that's my last hope for a B.

Do any of the brands you like give a tension spec? Or maybe somebody somewhere did some tests?

Strings of differing construction or grades of metal can have it where one type has to stretch tighter to reach pitch than another even though they're the same gauge.

Small difference in core and windings can do it.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Thinking if the .142/.145 doesn't work, ignore the gauge thing and just pick whatever you can find with the highest tension spec. See if it's a move in the right direction. If so, then try different gauges that are all high in tension. If not, burn the bass in a spectacular fashion.

.142 should be labeled as a cable instead of a string.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
I found a big ass stuffed horse. Couldn't say no.

Well, not an actual stuffed horse, just a regular stuffed horse.

Like a teddy bear type thing, not a taxidermy horse.

Man that would've been awesome if I found an actual taxidermy'd horse.

KIMG1579-1600x1200.jpg

Why would she do that, Nukes?
Just to spite you?
5% strings were in a little war right now. I caught her yanking my daughter's arms trying to strong-arm her back into the dining room when my daughter had already eaten her dinner. This woman is both violent and on the edge of dementia. Her day of reckoning is coming soon.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
5% strings were in a little war right now. I caught her yanking my daughter's arms trying to strong-arm her back into the dining room when my daughter had already eaten her dinner. This woman is both violent and on the edge of dementia. Her day of reckoning is coming soon.

Can't have that around the kids. She is still physically able to hurt them. That sucks.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Status
Not open for further replies.