GAY Who are the Flatboi Downs-Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know if they’d detect me. It’s never warmer in the cabinet than in the house.

I had a lot of people sneer when I said “LED light”, and one guy said “You’ll never get any buds bigger than your thumb”. I don’t know if anyone remembers the pic I posted once with the bud next to the soup can.
LEDs are fine for your short grow hut (Immi the Hut!). Problem is light intensity drops by half for every foot of distance. So yeah, LEDs suck if you are growing 4 footers because only the top of the plant thrives. I remember when you got that cab, your results were kind of dismal. You have learned well grasshopper :)

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
The whole idea behind growing in cabinets was secrecy. The exhaust fan has a great filter, and the price of the filters has dropped to 1/3 what they were when I got the cabinet.

I’m thankful my roomie doesn’t blow a gasket during drying time because the entire house smells like wet pot for a few days.

Something like that even workable for sativas that wanna grow taller? Keep topping them and/or cut the lights back and make them bud shorter or they just get confused.

Probably easier and cheaper for me to just build or rework something and use dirt pots.

Something like that even workable for sativas that wanna grow taller? Keep topping them and/or cut the lights back and make them bud shorter or they just get confused.

Probably easier and cheaper for me to just build or rework something and use dirt pots.
Hips - for a few years I used a 30" wide X 20" deep by 6' metal shop cabinet. Lined walls with 1/2" celotex, then a layer of bubble mylar insulation. Had an exhaust fan that pulled through the 400 watt metal halide fixture(gotta have glass front light fixture, that way you are pulling out heat, not so much aroma). Had one of those 18"X20"X12"(deep) bins many people are supposed to put their recyling in for the dirt - which left room at one end for a small electric heater for when the lights were off or it was bitter cold. I'd run 12 plants in that and blow out 14-16 ounces of excellent bud every 4 months or so. In an unheated barn.

You can do it. Easy peasy.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
how hard does this grow-op slap your electricity bill?
ME or immi? Mine - 18 hours a day of the light is 7200 watts/day(400 watt metal halide, switched to high pressure sodium for most flowering cycles). We pay 10 cents a kw so about $42-43 for the first 60 days.
Then it drops to 12 hours a day so $30 for last 60 days(flowering). I'm thinking another $10/month for the fan since it was on a thermostat to keep the hut under 82f., about $10/month for the heater. $25 a month +/-

ME or immi? Mine - 18 hours a day of the light is 7200 watts/day. We pay 10 cents a kw so about $42-43 for the first 60 days.
Then it drops to 12 hours a day so $30 for last 60 days(flowering). I'm thinking another $10/month for the fan since it was on a thermostat to keep the hut under 82f., about $10/month for the heater. $25 a month +/-

this actually isn't as bad as I expected. not a lot more than we were spending running a mini server room in our apartment for a couple side projects last year.

figured that amount of light+fan would run you at least 40/mo

Hips - for a few years I used a 30" wide X 20" deep by 6' metal shop cabinet. Lined walls with 1/2" celotex, then a layer of bubble mylar insulation. Had an exhaust fan that pulled through the 400 watt metal halide fixture(gotta have glass front light fixture, that way you are pulling out heat, not so much aroma). Had one of those 18"X20"X12"(deep) bins many people are supposed to put their recyling in for the dirt - which left room at one end for a small electric heater for when the lights were off or it was bitter cold. I'd run 12 plants in that and blow out 14-16 ounces of excellent bud every 4 months or so. In an unheated barn.

You can do it. Easy peasy.

I'm sure I could, just never did it that controlled or in a confined space.

Helped a guy in his backyard a couple years but mostly outdoor guerilla grows. Go back and check on them to pull the male's, sticks some fertilizer sticks in the ground but mostly just let nature do its thing. Do that in several spots and return to harvest the ones somebody else didn't stumble into first, lol.

There's too many homeless people around here, they'd find them all. I don't think there's an undeveloped lot anywhere around here that won't be free of "campsites" long enough to grow.

this actually isn't as bad as I expected. not a lot more than we were spending running a mini server room in our apartment for a couple side projects last year.

Optimally you'd have two fans and you could recoup virtually all heat from the light. [Using a glass covered light] PUSH the air through the light, not pull, that way you aren't picking up any smell - all leakages would go into the main grow environment. Fan #2 only PULLS from the grow environment to remove smell and excess humidity(real issue).

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I'm sure I could, just never did it that controlled or in a confined space.

Helped a guy in his backyard a couple years but mostly outdoor guerilla grows. Go back and check on them to pull the male's, sticks some fertilizer sticks in the ground but mostly just let nature do its thing. Do that in several spots and return to harvest the ones somebody else didn't stumble into first, lol.

There's too many homeless people around here, they'd find them all. I don't think there's an undeveloped lot anywhere around here that won't be free of "campsites" long enough to grow.
Guerrilla growing - yeah, brother and I were doing that when I was 13-14.
Instead of topping right away, i used a "low stress" method(trimming and topping can induce males to form, this is well understood NOW, in '70s it was highly misunderstood). Anyway, plant gets about 1' tall, you take some pieces of 12 gauges wire and make some little shepherds hooks about a foot long, gently bend the plant sideways and push a hook over them into the ground. Cover the growing tip with a piece of paper or foil for a few days and the leaf points along the stem will all form branches within a few days. I'd crisscross the plants, then I'd crisscross the branches and keep trying to keep everything at the same level - real competition with 12-14 plants in less than 3 square feet. That way you can keep the light low and all parts of the plant are receiving the same level of light. Once they started flowering I'd leeave them alone and you'd have a few hundred nice colas sticking up from that bonsai of stems. Google "screen of green" - similar manipulation by making the plants go horizontal to encourage branching but too confined in a small cabinet. imo. "Sea of green" is something totally different.

One of the things they look for in places where it's still illegal is sudden jumps or abnormally high electric bills for the size of house but that probably don't apply to you.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and wetwillie
Guerrilla growing - yeah, brother and I were doing that when I was 13-14.
Instead of topping right away, i used a "low stress" method(trimming and topping can induce males to form, this is well understood NOW, in '70s it was highly misunderstood). Anyway, plant gets about 1' tall, you take some pieces of 12 gauges wire and make some little shepherds hooks about a foot long, gently bend the plant sideways and push a hook over them into the ground. Cover the growing tip with a piece of paper or foil for a few days and the leaf points along the stem will all form branches within a few days. I'd crisscross the plants, then I'd crisscross the branches and keep trying to keep everything at the same level - real competition with 12-14 plants in less than 3 square feet. That way you can keep the light low and all parts of the plant are receiving the same level of light. Once they started flowering I'd leeave them alone and you'd have a few hundred nice colas sticking up from that bonsai of stems. Google "screen of green" - similar manipulation by making the plants go horizontal to encourage branching but too confined in a small cabinet. imo. "Sea of green" is something totally different.

Ya we played with some of that manipulation with backyard guys and you really can get them to do what you want. Vine along the ground or work them in with existing bushes, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
What if you decide to let your kid's crappy cover band practice in the garage?
The DEA better know the difference in utility spike!

Hehe. The ones that get found that way are converting half the house into a commercial scale operation. Little 5 or 10 plants won't raise alarms.
We got probably 50 (legal) potted plants now, half dozen weeds won't change much in electric or water use.

One of the things they look for in places where it's still illegal is sudden jumps or abnormally high electric bills for the size of house but that probably don't apply to you.
Yeah, small rise like $30-40 a month isn't what draws them in. $100/month is probably the cut-off. I think more people probably get caught from them driving by with the infra-red and shooting the houses looking for a glowing room. And people getting clumsy with their exhaust - the sewer line is a bad idea, easy for a guy working in a sewer pipe to tell where the light breeze of cannabis is coming from. I consider the chimney in houses where the furnace was switched to high efficiency and vented out the wall the best bet for many - up high off the ground and catching the breeze like a boss ;). Unless it's dead calm outside :eek: - then you might be fucked.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Yeah, small rise like $30-40 a month isn't what draws them in. $100/month is probably the cut-off. I think more people probably get caught from them driving by with the infra-red and shooting the houses looking for a glowing room. And people getting clumsy with their exhaust - the sewer line is a bad idea, easy for a guy working in a sewer pipe to tell where the light breeze of cannabis is coming from. I consider the chimney in houses where the furnace was switched to high efficiency and vented out the wall the best bet for many - up high off the ground and catching the breeze like a boss ;). Unless it's dead calm outside :eek: - then you might be fucked.

You could always just leave a dead skunk on the street for plausible deniability.

I thought so...it's fully legal to grow here though I think. up to 4 plants. pre-legalization I think our servers had us around CA$60/mo for a 3br apartment, so that would definitely have been a red flag if anyone looked into it.

but, that aside, I pretty much exclusively live in apartments/condos and move cities every 4 months so it's not particularly viable to grow anyway.

I thought so...it's fully legal to grow here though I think. up to 4 plants. pre-legalization I think our servers had us around CA$60/mo for a 3br apartment, so that would definitely have been a red flag if anyone looked into it.

but, that aside, I pretty much exclusively live in apartments/condos and move cities every 4 months so it's not particularly viable to grow anyway.

You could cart this around, Def. :D
dsc_0840-red-wagon-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.