Whats a shiv?

I didn't' contradict myself.

I'd love to hear the explanation. :D

As far as his secretary goes, if that's her tax bracket she's making more than any secretary I've ever heard of.

Feel free to look up the quote. Additionally, lets keep in mind that this isn't Beerad's secretary, its Buffets...

Also, you're avoiding your own systemic abuses, sweet tits. I'm not hating, as I reap the benes; just sayin.

What are you getting at here? I'm confused...

giving more also has a greater impact on the system. it evens out.

I agree, they don't deserve a pass either. None of them do. But it gets on my nerves when hippies bitch about "the corporations" and how the rich are nothing but greedy money hogs that don't care about anything but the almighty greenback and how life would be so much better if they would just share all their wealth. :rolleyes: I don't think we should replace it with a progressive system. The wealthy shouldn't have to pay a greater percentage of their income because they've worked harder or been luckier than the rest of us.

Isn't a national sales tax a progressive tax anyway? Or are you suggesting a flat income tax?

Isn't a national sales tax a progressive tax anyway? Or are you suggesting a flat income tax?

I'd prefer the former but even the latter would be a better solution than what we have today.

A national excise tax (the Fair Tax) isn't necessarily progressive because it's not based on income. It would be progressive based on consumption so two people making 50 grand a year could be taxed completely different rates depending on how much they spend and save.

It's still progressive but at the same time you could easily have a guy making six figures being taxed less than a guy making a third of that because Guy A is saving or investing his money while Guy B is buying a plasma tv and some tyte rimz.

I'd prefer the former but even the latter would be a better solution than what we have today.

A national excise tax (the Fair Tax) isn't necessarily progressive because it's not based on income. It would be progressive based on consumption so two people making 50 grand a year could be taxed completely different rates depending on how much they spend and save.

It's still progressive but at the same time you could easily have a guy making six figures being taxed less than a guy making a third of that because Guy A is saving or investing his money while Guy B is buying a plasma tv and some tyte rimz.
oh, ok. i thought you were talking about a flat income tax. at least a flat sales tax makes more sense than that.

I like the fair tax concept. The more you spend on luxury types of items the more taxes you pay.

The only problem is the cost of tax reform and the risk of loss will prevent the government from even trying. It's just easier to leave things the same and shut up the people bitching the loudest.

also, wouldn't people who buy all the really expensive things just buy them overseas and import them themselves or something?

I read the fair tax one last time you sent it to me... looked pretty good actually

oh, ok. i thought you were talking about a flat income tax. at least a flat sales tax makes more sense than that.

oh, I was :o

I think a flat tax would be much better than our current system. people should not be taxed based on how much they make in the first place but if they are, it should be equal

oh, I was :o

I think a flat tax would be much better than our current system. people should not be taxed based on how much they make in the first place but if they are, it should be equal
the only problem is that with a flat income tax you need to use a rate that is significantly higher than the current base rate. that means that those with low incomes end up not being able to afford necessities like housing and food. the idea is that when you have higher taxes on the other end of the spectrum you're not affecting any necessities. in fact, there's still lots and lots of room leftover between "necessary spending" and "after tax income" which is essential otherwise no one would work harder.

you maintain the incentive to work harder and advance and you fund a government.

Last edited:
the only problem is that with a flat income tax you need to use a rate that is significantly higher than the current base rate. that means that those with low incomes end up not being able to afford necessities like housing and food. the idea is that when you have higher taxes on the other end of the spectrum you're not affecting any necessities. in fact, there's still lots and lots of room leftover between "necessary spending" and "after tax income" which is essential otherwise no one would work harder.

you maintain the incentive to work harder and advance and you fund a government.

no you don't, you just need to drastically cut spending. we're not supposed to be funding a THREE TRILLION DOLLAR government

that's the inherent problem with the system.

even if you spent less it makes sense to have those who can more easily afford it pay more of the bill. it's only fair.

even if you spent less it makes sense to have those who can more easily afford it pay more of the bill. it's only fair.

I recall reading that its entirely possible that a flat tax of ~10% would meet the needs of the country. Once you eliminate the need or option of tax shelters for the rich and tax credits for stupid shit, Sam makes a shitload of cash...