Whats a shiv?

Isn't a shiv another word for a shank? aka a prisoner who makes a knife to slash or stab another prisoner using a toothbrush and razor.
A shiv (from the Romani word chiv) is a slang term for a sharp or pointed implement used as an improvised knife-like weapon. The shiv is the favored weapon of inmates in prisons across the world. It is infamous for its versatility - a shiv can be anything from a glass shard with cloth wrapped around one end to form a handle, to a razorblade stuck in the end of a toothbrush, to a sharpened spoon. Some inmates have even sharpened the ends of pork chop bones to make them into weapons[citation needed].

A related term is shank. While the words are often used interchangeably, shank can specifically refer to a weapon fashioned from the metal shank of a prison-issued boot or shoe. Since inmates were able to fashion effective shivs out of metal shanks, many prisons no longer issue footwear with metal shanks.[citation needed] Another related term is the Scottish slang word, chib. To chib is to stab or slash with a sharp weapon. The weapon can also be called a chib, as noted in the Irvine Welsh novel Trainspotting.

that's true, but i was referring to things like food, shelter, transportation and communications as things that would be excluded from the fair tax up to a certain amount. i haven't seen the actual proposal though.

oooh

yea, yea, those things are exempt. it wouldn't matter if you make fifteen grand a year or fifteen grand a month, there wouldn't be a tax on things like milk :o

wow.. just read that whole focking thread.

I guess I would agree, whichever part of the longass discussion it was, that i shouldn't have to pay for someone to sit home on their arse.

GTFOH.

and the earned income tax credit.. doesn't it pay people to have more kids?

kids they ALREADY can't afford?

(I could be wrong, but I thought it was based solely on # of kids)

cause i work harder? cause i work smarter? cause i went to focking class?

i should support someone who sleeps til noon? and believe me, that IS the case many times.

every time? certainly not.. i myself am probably 6 weeks of no paycheck from being out of my house..

so guess focking what??? i get up and go to work.. even when I don't want to.

oooh

yea, yea, those things are exempt. it wouldn't matter if you make fifteen grand a year or fifteen grand a month, there wouldn't be a tax on things like milk :o

No, everything is taxed, and people get a monthly rebate based on how many people are in the household.

No, everything is taxed, and people get a monthly rebate based on how many people are in the household.

oh yea, i forgot about that

especially since those with more money spend more on such things and luxuryish foods. I think I confused it with a flat tax proposal