What would you do differently?

Other ideas, some we did some we didn't:

Central vac would be a good idea also

Adequate lighting in the kitchen, recessed lighting is probably what I'd go with - an island is a must

Make sure you get a deep sink, and these days I'm preferring the single bowl ones (Like what we put in the 'ranch) because you can wash a giant stock pot without monkeying around

Get stained trim, looks nicer than painted and easier to clean

Get the expensive super washable paint anywhere the kids will be, especially in the kitchen and hallways

Pre-wire for speakers in the kitchen, deck, etc. - I miss that stuff :(

Get the biggest water heater you can afford, or have them put in two smaller ones

Have them pre-wire for a generator attachment

Pre-plumb for a toilet and shower in the basement - and get a laundry tub down there

water shutoffs for everything. my house doesn't have them in some places and it drives me crazy when i fix anything.

As many kitchen cupboards as you can get. I have tons, and it's never enough.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Central vac would be a good idea also
My buddys house has one and they hate it :shrug:
Adequate lighting in the kitchen, recessed lighting is probably what I'd go with - an island is a must
Ive plans for under cabinet lighting in mine.
Make sure you get a deep sink, and these days I'm preferring the single bowl ones (Like what we put in the 'ranch) because you can wash a giant stock pot without monkeying around
YES
Get stained trim, looks nicer than painted and easier to clean
Mines painted and ya its a pain to clean
Get the expensive super washable paint anywhere the kids will be, especially in the kitchen and hallways
Yep, the paint they put in our house was barely serviceable as primer. Weve since repainted nearly everything.
Pre-wire for speakers in the kitchen, deck, etc. - I miss that stuff :(
Ive been thinking of doing this in our place
Get the biggest water heater you can afford, or have them put in two smaller ones
No argument there
Have them pre-wire for a generator attachment
Never thought about that:p
Pre-plumb for a toilet and shower in the basement - and get a laundry tub down there
Basement?

I have central vac in my current house and it's ok
wouldn't be a deal breaker to not have it though

tre said:
water shutoffs for everything. my house doesn't have them in some places and it drives me crazy when i fix anything.
Good point, most new homes I see have adequate water shut offs but I did see one that was plumbed with PEX and had ALL of the shutoffs for both floors of the living area in the side of a closet on the first floor, as well as in the basement - very handy

tre said:
As many kitchen cupboards as you can get. I have tons, and it's never enough.
Oh hell yes :p

Drool-Boy said:
My buddys house has one and they hate it :shrug:
Heh funny, I've had friends that loved it. And I hate lugging a vacuum cleaner up and down stairs - of course, mostly all wood floors fixed that at the 'ranch :D

Drool-Boy said:
Ive plans for under cabinet lighting in mine.
Another excellent idea, we had that in both NH and the 'ranch - better off installing it yourself though unless your electrician is really good.

Drool-Boy said:
Yep, the paint they put in our house was barely serviceable as primer. Weve since repainted nearly everything.
Ugh, ours wore off in spots in the first year - I swear they got the paint at the dollar store.

Drool-Boy said:
Basement?
Yep, if you ever want to finish the basement it's LOADS easier and cheaper to have them do that while pouring the foundation, otherwise a plumber will charge you 6 grand at least later on just to rough it in

And the laundry tub is something I wanted when working on stuff in the basement that I didn't have, had to climb stairs everytime I wanted to wash something off then get yelled at for putting filthy stuff in the kitchen sink while cooking was going on :lol:

Make sure you get copper piping in your house and the pipe that runs under your front yard - don't save money and go plastic you'll regret it

ChikkenNoodul said:
And the laundry tub is something I wanted when working on stuff in the basement that I didn't have, had to climb stairs everytime I wanted to wash something off then get yelled at for putting filthy stuff in the kitchen sink while cooking was going on :lol:

I plan on having such a sink in the garage.

ChikkenNoodul said:
If I built another house, these are the changes I'd make:

No linoleum ANYWHERE - I hatehatehatehatehatehatehate it, and you REALLY don't want to put a washer and dryer on a linoleum floor. Even when perfectly level they vibrate like CRAZY

Keep the carpet in the bedrooms, but hardwood everywhere else including the kitchen

Have the contractor finish the space over the garage

Not put a jacuzzi in the master bath, hardly used the damn thing, would've been more cost-effective to put a real hot tub out on the deck

Make sure the electrician doesn't wire the phone jacks in series, same with the cable lines, no splitters in the walls only direct runs to the basement

Get all in one vanity tops/sinks in the bathrooms, or solid surface with undermount sinks - the above-mounted sinks allow water to go all over the counter and make a mess

If I were building a house this is exactly what I would include.

Also NO BERBER carpet anywhere. It might stand up against wear longer, but if it gets dirty it's sooo much more difficult to clean. I've got this stuff all over my house and with 6 animals I'm always cleaning it. I imagine you guys will have the same challenge with kids running around.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Another excellent idea, we had that in both NH and the 'ranch - better off installing it yourself though unless your electrician is really good.:

Luckily he is.

Ugh, ours wore off in spots in the first year - I swear they got the paint at the dollar store.[\QUOTE]

Ours is the same way, do I need to worry about repainting any specific areas before selling our current condo?

Yep, if you ever want to finish the basement it's LOADS easier and cheaper to have them do that while pouring the foundation, otherwise a plumber will charge you 6 grand at least later on just to rough it in.[\QUOTE]

I also plan on having this done, it will just make things easier (and as you mentioned cheaper) in the long run.

Thanks for all the great ideas! There are definitely some things I didn't think about.