What would you do differently?

kiwi

Messin’ with Sasquatch
Apr 22, 2005
Summer
Marklar
₥15,748
And what do you aboslutely think is a requirement when building a new house?

We are possibly going to be building a house this summer and while looking at plans, I want to make sure not to leave something out that I should include or end up with something that will potentially drive me crazy that I could have been warned against. So what are your opinions on these matters?

I want a firepole into the basement, I'm serious. You said we could do it when we built a house!

real response: Everyone I talk to keeps saying that building a house is a strain on the marriage, but I don't see that was happening to us. Why you ask? Because I don't care about what color the tiles of the bathroom floor are going to be, Kiwi can get whatever she feels like. She's the boss, I just live and work there.

please do not have stairs leading to all entry doors of your house. it's not fun to haul a kid and groceries up a flight of stairs.

HydroSqueegee said:
a big open basement is soooo awesome. :drool:

This is my plan.

I'm going to have one (possibly two) bedrooms down there and a bathroom. The rest will be open free space.

Thorn Bird said:
please do not have stairs leading to all entry doors of your house. it's not fun to haul a kid and groceries up a flight of stairs.

Good point. I hate going grocery shopping just for that reason.

HydroSqueegee said:
a big open basement is soooo awesome. :drool:

It will be really open for now, not even walls or anything. :fly:

I definitely agree though.

KNYTE said:
I want a stripper pole in the basement, I'm serious. You said we could do it when we built a house!

real response: Everyone I talk to keeps saying that building a house is a strain on the marriage, but I don't see that was happening to us. Why you ask? Because I don't care about what color the tiles of the bathroom floor are going to be, Kiwi can get whatever she feels like. She's the boss, I just live and work there.

fixt

KNYTE said:
This is my plan.

I'm going to have one (possibly two) bedrooms down there and a bathroom. The rest will be open free space.

Don't listen to him, there will be two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a storage room. The rest will be open.

Make sure theres plenty of closet space & storeage space. Go ahead and spend the extra on upgrades now if you cant do it yourself later. Get the good carpet.
Be mindful of where the phone jacks and cable outlets are placed. Insulate the fuck out of everything. Central heat & air ftw. You guys are probably gonna want a fireplace up there so research that and make sure you get a good one put in.

Building a house wasnt really a strain on my marrige. The only stressful bit was when we had to live with the in-laws for a month between moving out of the old place and into the new.

Drool-Boy said:
Be mindful of where the phone jacks and cable outlets are placed. Insulate the fuck out of everything.

That's the easy part, my dad is the electrician.

We definitely want a fireplace, I want a gas one upstairs and wouldn't mind a log burning one in the basement when it is finished.

drool knows what he's talking about.

kiwi, make sure you have storage room for all the kid stuff you're going to accumulate. i need a closet for playdoh, craft stuff, magazines, holiday stuff, outside toys, sports stuff...you know...that kind of stuff...i'd recommend at least one huge pantry/closet for this per floor.

If I built another house, these are the changes I'd make:

No linoleum ANYWHERE - I hatehatehatehatehatehatehate it, and you REALLY don't want to put a washer and dryer on a linoleum floor. Even when perfectly level they vibrate like CRAZY

Keep the carpet in the bedrooms, but hardwood everywhere else including the kitchen

Have the contractor finish the space over the garage

Not put a jacuzzi in the master bath, hardly used the damn thing, would've been more cost-effective to put a real hot tub out on the deck

Make sure the electrician doesn't wire the phone jacks in series, same with the cable lines, no splitters in the walls only direct runs to the basement

Get all in one vanity tops/sinks in the bathrooms, or solid surface with undermount sinks - the above-mounted sinks allow water to go all over the counter and make a mess

don't short change yourself on bathrooms...imo, bathrooms should equal bedrooms or at the very worst, 1/2 bath off the bedroom total