WTF What I don't like about the Harry Potter world

I liked the Twilight series and I'm not stupid. I know it's trash but it was fun to read just like a lot of other books. And although it might be a kind of co-dependent sort of relationship there is something to be said for a good looking, nice guy who respects a girl and insists on monogamy and marriage before sex. The girl doesn't need to be quite so pathetic, but then I don't know a lot of people who haven't felt the desperation of a broken heart and isolated themselves for a while, especially as teenagers. In fact, I've met more guys who have been pathetic in this regard then girls. So, yeah, it's a silly little love story that some people happen to like. I liked My Fair Lady too. I also like Jane Austin novels.

Congrats, you are a false positive. I will respond more in depth when I get home and have a couple references

Harry Potter was ok but I still don't understand how it got the recognition it got. It wasn't any better than a tons and tons of other series in the genre. I can't think of too many things that were totally so original about the series that it should have gotten that mainstream popular. Of course I think the same thing about Twilight.

If a book becomes a movie, it instantly becomes a best seller.

Someone in the movie business got the book from their kid and read it and thought it would make a good movie. It ballooned from there.

Someone in the movie business got the book from their kid and read it and thought it would make a good movie. It ballooned from there.

It was a big hit before the movies. It's just odd for a book from someone with her background jumping into the lime light as fast as it did. Compared to the huge number of books released per year you don't see that many new people on the best seller list.

Then maybe you just have bad taste? :lol:

Hey! You can put me down all you want but you can't say a word against my man. He's funny, handsome, smart, kind, strong, a good provider, fun, interesting, and he puts up with my shit. I'm the luckiest girl alive. Lots of my girlfriends wish to be able to clone him so they can have one of their own because most men are nowhere near as good as he is.

The first 4 books were all best sellers and award winners before the first film had been released.

Hey! You can put me down all you want but you can't say a word against my man. He's funny, handsome, smart, kind, strong, a good provider, fun, interesting, and he puts up with my shit. I'm the luckiest girl alive. Lots of my girlfriends wish to be able to clone him so they can have one of their own because most men are nowhere near as good as he is.

In books, silly, not men.

Harry Potter was ok but I still don't understand how it got the recognition it got. It wasn't any better than a tons and tons of other series in the genre. I can't think of too many things that were totally so original about the series that it should have gotten that mainstream popular. Of course I think the same thing about Twilight.

HP got a good deal of kids (and adults) in to reading. Plain and simple. Then, like any fad, it grew.

Twilight on the other hand, got popular because a bunch of housewives got wet on it. Same with that 50 Shades tripe.

I think the biggest draw of HP was that it had these characters growing up as the reader grew up, combine that with the fact that the books deal with very serious topics that children need to learn about as they transition into adults and its a given that it will be popular with kids and owners of kids.