Thread This just in! Cats suck massholes. Film @ 11.

both our cats are sick :(

One has some genetic tooth/gum disease and is gonna lose her teeth slowly, and the other has lost 30% of her weight and is hypercalcemic

Trying to track down the cause of the hypercalcemia with more blood tests.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
many hours and dollars in tests later, Cup is mostly ok. No cancer, no fiv, no filv, no thyroid or parathyroid issues, no poisoning.

We think we found the issue on our own. It never clicked, but the cat food they eat switched formulas just about as the problem started. Turns out both cats HATE it, and werent eating enough. We open-feed them, food just just available all the time, and we didnt notice how slowly the cat food was going. They were going through a bag once a month before the new formula, and the new formula was lasting 4 months a bag.

Fly is a good hunter, and was regularly eating animals to supplement, but cup apparently is not, and was just wasting away :(

So not only was she not getting enough food, but something in the new formula of food was making her hypercalcemic.

Feel terrible for not noticing this sooner :(

many hours and dollars in tests later, Cup is mostly ok. No cancer, no fiv, no filv, no thyroid or parathyroid issues, no poisoning.

We think we found the issue on our own. It never clicked, but the cat food they eat switched formulas just about as the problem started. Turns out both cats HATE it, and werent eating enough. We open-feed them, food just just available all the time, and we didnt notice how slowly the cat food was going. They were going through a bag once a month before the new formula, and the new formula was lasting 4 months a bag.

Fly is a good hunter, and was regularly eating animals to supplement, but cup apparently is not, and was just wasting away :(

So not only was she not getting enough food, but something in the new formula of food was making her hypercalcemic.

Feel terrible for not noticing this sooner :(
Aww. :(

You figured it out. Now spoil the shit out of her.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and Lambie
Had to help my mom bury one of her cats. It was like 17 or 18 yrs old. Probably had stomach or liver cancer. Strangely although the cat was very thin at the end, the cat's fur was real slick and gorgeous. Fuck cancer man. Vet says cancer is very hard to detect in cats and hard to treat.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Yes....
6b3469b4f46ea5c240dabcc4e1915a13.jpg

So my cat, who for 10 years has refused to get off the floor except for the couch or a bed, is now making it a point to get on all the furniture. I'm not even sure it's my cat anymore. I'm looking for space pods to see if she's been compromised.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL and adi
Here's a serious question. I kept my door shut last night for the first time, because I was constantly being woke up by the cats. But these are ~4+ years outdoor cats. Should I keep it shut because I don't want to die of sleep deprevation, or should I keep it closed?
I've found if you roll over or just kick them off the bed, they get the clue. But if the howl or start fighting just to wake you up, then yeah keep them outside the bedroom.

I dunno where you live but in Maine at this time of year I wouldn't leave any cat, feral or otherwise, outside in these temps and weather. My mom adopts cats that come by her doorstep to get out of the cold weather. One was a neighbor who moved away leaving the cat behind (fuck that former neighbor, he beat up his wife and then thankfully was fired from the state police), other cat was a stray who is now a cool cat.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I've found if you roll over or just kick them off the bed, they get the clue. But if the howl or start fighting just to wake you up, then yeah keep them outside the bedroom.

I dunno where you live but in Maine at this time of year I wouldn't leave any cat, feral or otherwise, outside in these temps and weather. My mom adopts cats that come by her doorstep to get out of the cold weather. One was a neighbor who moved away leaving the cat behind (fuck that former neighbor, he beat up his wife and then thankfully was fired from the state police), other cat was a stray who is now a cool cat.

That is a good point. I'll try that tonight.

One of them just jumped to the kitchen window amd started meowing sadly. Damn...

I'll have to leave town for 4 days to visit my brother who's serving in the military. I hate the timing.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL