The Revolution will not be televised

fly said:
Hmmm

Maybe there is a market for fake Ipods...

Like unactivated cell phones. Or putting one of those fake cardboard tvs they have at the furniture stores in your entertainment center...

taeric said:
That is less than smart. My favorite games at the moment are on the Playstation. There may be about 3 games I would like to play on the Gamecube, but that pales in comparison to how many I have enjoyed playing on the other consoles. Hell, I've enjoyed teh Gameboy more than I would have a Gamecube.

And I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Sony has domination on the sports market. I think Microsoft is making good headway there, but Nintendo seems to be far behind. People don't buy Nintendo for much other than Nintendo games. They simply can not produce enough to make that worthwhile.

And if you don't think people can program to current systems maxes.... have you looked at the screens being shown on the new systems? There are clear advancements in ability. In all three systems.

In terms of playability, the likelyhood of certain games from the other two platforms of having games that are fun to play constantly seem to be lacking. It always seems to be that X-Box has Halo and tha'ts about it. PS has GTA and FF. I just don't ever really hear people getting tired of most Nintendo games.

As to the sports games, Madden is accross all platforms, EA Sports is across all platforms, I don't see many other sports franchises that are being shown.

System maxes, until I can actually see video of it as opposed to screenshots and actually verify that it's game play and not cut scenes, there's nothing to be said about that.

Coqui said:
In terms of playability, the likelyhood of certain games from the other two platforms of having games that are fun to play constantly seem to be lacking. It always seems to be that X-Box has Halo and tha'ts about it. PS has GTA and FF. I just don't ever really hear people getting tired of most Nintendo games.

As to the sports games, Madden is accross all platforms, EA Sports is across all platforms, I don't see many other sports franchises that are being shown.

System maxes, until I can actually see video of it as opposed to screenshots and actually verify that it's game play and not cut scenes, there's nothing to be said about that.

The only catch here is that games that you can play over and over don't sell over and over. :) Carving out that market doesn't net you high sales.

And that is assuming it is true, of course. I'm not sure it is. I won't disagree... but I am not sure it is true.

As far as system maxes... I will agree the Gamecube is the least pushed of the systems in this generation. It will still be incredibly weak compared to the new ones, though. I don't really see how you can question this. Further, when games start supported higher res.... the extra power will show.

Gamecube seems to have supported games aimed more towards kids than adult. Not saying that there isn't adult games for it just that it has more of the nick jr type of games.

The gamecube's specs were better then the PS/2s but worse then the Xbox's. But to me and many other people, the graphics it produces are the best of the 3.

b_sinning said:
Gamecube seems to have supported games aimed more towards kids than adult. Not saying that there isn't adult games for it just that it has more of the nick jr type of games.
haven't heard that before

smileynev said:
The gamecube's specs were better then the PS/2s but worse then the Xbox's. But to me and many other people, the graphics it produces are the best of the 3.

It was also released how much later?

And the thing about them targetting kids.. again, if they manage to get the kids control over their parents wallets, this could be a great market. It all depends on if you have to buy the latest pokemon monster online or not.

taeric said:
Things are getting smaller, true. I guess the thing throwing me off is i am not clear exactly how big the other systems are. they looked like they were easily as small as a Tivo, and i have yet to see people want smaller devices than those things. (For what they do) Hell, most set top boxes from cable companies are still larger than that.

Still, we'll see. I just saw that Final Fantasy XI will be ported to the new XBox. That is very surprising to me.
The PS3 looked huge when Ken Kutagari was holding one up. Bigger than the old model PS2. 360 looked about the same size as a satellite receiver or a Tivo. The Revolution is about half the size of the 360.

FFXI is not a surprise. Squarenix knows that its a more powerful market presence than any individual system manufacturer. Isn't it you that told me its a law in Japan that they can't release a new FF game during the workweek for fear of a massive sick out? Right now their best games can only be played by about 45% of the market place. It only makes sense that they don't want to be a console exclusive.

theacoustician said:
The PS3 looked huge when Ken Kutagari was holding one up. Bigger than the old model PS2. 360 looked about the same size as a satellite receiver or a Tivo. The Revolution is about half the size of the 360.

FFXI is not a surprise. Squarenix knows that its a more powerful market presence than any individual system manufacturer. Isn't it you that told me its a law in Japan that they can't release a new FF game during the workweek for fear of a massive sick out? Right now their best games can only be played by about 45% of the market place. It only makes sense that they don't want to be a console exclusive.

That isn't what is surprising.

Last I heard, Microsoft dictated that they owned the networks XBox Live connected to. Either they have changed this for the 360, or something else. I seriously doubt Square would go for that. That is what is surprising.

And the sizes... definitely food for thought.

taeric said:
The only catch here is that games that you can play over and over don't sell over and over. :) Carving out that market doesn't net you high sales.

And that is assuming it is true, of course. I'm not sure it is. I won't disagree... but I am not sure it is true.

As far as system maxes... I will agree the Gamecube is the least pushed of the systems in this generation. It will still be incredibly weak compared to the new ones, though. I don't really see how you can question this. Further, when games start supported higher res.... the extra power will show.

While true lacluster reviews tend to drop sales. I still see people go out and buy MarioKart for the N64 like mad. It's a must have and anyone that purchases an older system, will still seek out those games.

I can't say it's true either, it's just what I see on the shelves themselves. Purely a statement made on observation.

As of right now, the X-box was touted as having far superior graphics than the other two systems, yet the GameCube graphics seemed to be on par if not surpassing the X-box graphics during game play.

b_sinning said:

Most of those kids games are swallowed up by College students. I know more college students into Mario Kart, Pikmin, and various other games than I know kids.

2476151050547027.jpg

Coqui said:
Most of those kids games are swallowed up by College students. I know more college students into Mario Kart, Pikmin, and various other games than I know kids.

Yeah, and we all know college kids have the disposable income that the system manufacturers lust for.

smileynev said:
Sorry, that was my home number. I'm sure the wife would love to talk to you.

Ill call and talk to your wife
Ill explain to her that she needs to shut the fuck up and let you be in charge for a while and maybe let you put it in her ass from time to time.