The Revolution will not be televised

taeric said:
The free online service only matters if the games for the system use it. The main reason XBox Live is so popular is because of games such as Splinter Cell and Halo. Will these games come to the new Nintendo console? Will they have better games?

Also worth looking into, I would imagine sports games dominate a lot in the online play. Are there that many sports game franchises on Nintendo, now?

And does it really look that much better to everyone? It looks smaller, no doubt, but how much performance did they sacrifice for the size? I think that and I know enough about computers to know that size can be deceptive. What do you think the average consumer will think?
I'd say in looks its 1. Revolution 2. 360 3. PS3 That's pretty clear cut to me.

But that's just in the console design and means very little. I do think the PS3 controller will hurt it though. They need some 3rd party controllers, STAT.

elpmis said:
I heard the Playstation 3 makes you a man and gives you pants to wear within your family

too bad you're a nintendo fanboy too huh?

I heard the Xbox 360 spews forth fountains of powdery coke from its gaping maw.

Too bad you're a homo.

taeric said:
The free online service only matters if the games for the system use it. The main reason XBox Live is so popular is because of games such as Splinter Cell and Halo. Will these games come to the new Nintendo console? Will they have better games?

Also worth looking into, I would imagine sports games dominate a lot in the online play. Are there that many sports game franchises on Nintendo, now?

And does it really look that much better to everyone? It looks smaller, no doubt, but how much performance did they sacrifice for the size? I think that and I know enough about computers to know that size can be deceptive. What do you think the average consumer will think?

Nintendo will always have better games than the other two. It's a proven fact.

Just about every sports franchise is cross platform. That wouldn't be an issue.

I honestly could care less about how it looks. As to the performance, it will be better than the GameCube and for right now, nobody's developed games that can fully utilize the power of the current systems anyways.

theacoustician said:
I'd say in looks its 1. Revolution 2. 360 3. PS3 That's pretty clear cut to me.

But that's just in the console design and means very little. I do think the PS3 controller will hurt it though. They need some 3rd party controllers, STAT.

I will agree with the controller all day. However, I disagree on the looks category. I think the looks will hurt the Revolution. It is still too small. Again, if Nintendo is fine just carving into the "kiddie" market, then fine. However, if they are wanting to expand out, this is probably not the way to do it.

I will note, however, they are hitting a prime target for buying games online. Kids have overwhelming control over their parents wallets for lower amounts of cash. If they are selling games for download at cheap prices, kids could eat that up.

taeric said:
I will agree with the controller all day. However, I disagree on the looks category. I think the looks will hurt the Revolution. It is still too small. Again, if Nintendo is fine just carving into the "kiddie" market, then fine. However, if they are wanting to expand out, this is probably not the way to do it.

I will note, however, they are hitting a prime target for buying games online. Kids have overwhelming control over their parents wallets for lower amounts of cash. If they are selling games for download at cheap prices, kids could eat that up.

What is the largest untapped gaming market? Women
What do women like? Cute, small things.

Not that the Revolution is cute. But it is small and sleek.

Coqui said:
Nintendo will always have better games than the other two. It's a proven fact.

Just about every sports franchise is cross platform. That wouldn't be an issue.

I honestly could care less about how it looks. As to the performance, it will be better than the GameCube and for right now, nobody's developed games that can fully utilize the power of the current systems anyways.

That is less than smart. My favorite games at the moment are on the Playstation. There may be about 3 games I would like to play on the Gamecube, but that pales in comparison to how many I have enjoyed playing on the other consoles. Hell, I've enjoyed teh Gameboy more than I would have a Gamecube.

And I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Sony has domination on the sports market. I think Microsoft is making good headway there, but Nintendo seems to be far behind. People don't buy Nintendo for much other than Nintendo games. They simply can not produce enough to make that worthwhile.

And if you don't think people can program to current systems maxes.... have you looked at the screens being shown on the new systems? There are clear advancements in ability. In all three systems.

taeric said:

Look at the popularity of the iPod and iPod Mini. Small and sleek is in. I think the problem with the Cube was that people thought it looked very Fisher Price. This does not have that kindergarden styling to it.

smileynev said:
What is the largest untapped gaming market? Women
What do women like? Cute, small things.

Not that the Revolution is cute. But it is small and sleek.
the revolution isn't cute. it's small, innovative, a conversation piece compared to the other two consoles. i just hope it doesn't get lost on my entertainment system shelf.

theacoustician said:
Look at the popularity of the iPod and iPod Mini. Small and sleek is in. I think the problem with the Cube was that people thought it looked very Fisher Price. This does not have that kindergarden styling to it.

The iPod also became popular due to a great marketing strategy. Add to that it was the first to offer big name support for buying music online. It integrates with a fairly good music player on the computer. It was the first of that size to hold as much as it does, etc.

On top of all of that, the iPod is a bloody portable music player. Not an entertainment piece to sit next to your tv. Fairly different markets, and if they are banking on that, it is risky.

And if you don't think Sony and Microsoft made their systems as small as they could.... well, I have a bridge to sell you. It is going to look like the Revolution is the least powerful of the new systems to most consumers. No two ways about it.

taeric said:
The iPod also became popular due to a great marketing strategy. Add to that it was the first to offer big name support for buying music online. It integrates with a fairly good music player on the computer. It was the first of that size to hold as much as it does, etc.

On top of all of that, the iPod is a bloody portable music player. Not an entertainment piece to sit next to your tv. Fairly different markets, and if they are banking on that, it is risky.

And if you don't think Sony and Microsoft made their systems as small as they could.... well, I have a bridge to sell you. It is going to look like the Revolution is the least powerful of the new systems to most consumers. No two ways about it.
well the size on the ps3 and 360 are to compensate for the fact that they've turned into home media centers from their previous console status. that's why i have a computer and a dvd player. i'm not going to pay for extra online services to download games (unless they're considerably cheaper than getting them in a store) or to play with sillyass kekekekeke zerg rush 13 year old korean kids. i wanna play games, enjoy myself while playing them, and pay as little as possible to enjoy myself the most.

taeric said:

Dude, walk into Best Buy and look at the size of your average DVD player. It's small. Look at the home theater in a box packages people buy. The receiver is shrinking thanks to class-D amps. People want smaller and the mentality is they want to hide it in the furniture. I deal with that all day long. The small size isn't a disadvantage. It will be an advantage. The only way that it will be seen as "lesser" is if when you put them side by side, the Revolution demo's aren't as fancy. That WILL hurt it.

smileynev said:
I heard the Xbox 360 spews forth fountains of powdery coke from its gaping maw.

Too bad you're a homo.
THE FUNNY THING IS THAT THE COKE THING IS A JOKE, YOU GETTING PWNED EVERY DAY BY YOUR WIFE ISN'T

MUAHAHAHHAHAHA

I can teach you how to own your spouse if you give me your cell phone

theacoustician said:
Dude, walk into Best Buy and look at the size of your average DVD player. It's small. Look at the home theater in a box packages people buy. The receiver is shrinking thanks to class-D amps. People want smaller and the mentality is they want to hide it in the furniture. I deal with that all day long. The small size isn't a disadvantage. It will be an advantage. The only way that it will be seen as "lesser" is if when you put them side by side, the Revolution demo's aren't as fancy. That WILL hurt it.

I'm a kid. I wanna play a game with my friends. I can grab the revolution in one hand and a game in the other and be off. Can't really do that with the PS3 or the Xbox.

elpmis said:
THE FUNNY THING IS THAT THE COKE THING IS A JOKE, YOU GETTING PWNED EVERY DAY BY YOUR WIFE ISN'T

MUAHAHAHHAHAHA

I can teach you how to own your spouse if you give me your cell phone

Whats your address. I'll fedex it to you.

theacoustician said:

Things are getting smaller, true. I guess the thing throwing me off is i am not clear exactly how big the other systems are. they looked like they were easily as small as a Tivo, and i have yet to see people want smaller devices than those things. (For what they do) Hell, most set top boxes from cable companies are still larger than that.

Still, we'll see. I just saw that Final Fantasy XI will be ported to the new XBox. That is very surprising to me.