The Price is Right, v. Apt

there was only a gas range in one of the places we looked at, but since that one is officially out of the running we're only looking at electric stuff.

ChikkenNoodul said:
It's like $5 a month for my stove in my apartment
We have gas hot water and gas central heating here. I will never make that mistake in a house again. Winter power bills are retardedly expensive. However, in the summer when the AC is on electric and there isn't any hot water being used, power bills are about $100 for elec. and gas combined.

theacoustician said:
We have gas hot water and gas central heating here. I will never make that mistake in a house again. Winter power bills are retardedly expensive. However, in the summer when the AC is on electric and there isn't any hot water being used, power bills are about $100 for elec. and gas combined.
I had always heard that electric heat is retardedly expensive and inefficient. We use it in Florida, but I think everyone up north uses gas cause its better for heating.

I think...

theacoustician said:
Gas heating is a different story, in NH we paid $150 a month for gas heat.

I think oil is going to end up running me $250 a month in NY or so

I have gas heat in my house, but only ran it for about a total of 2 weeks this past winter. Didnt hurt the pocket book none.
The electric bill for the AC during the summer is the one that kicks ya in the balls here tho.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Ayuh

A lady I worked with had a relatively new 3bdrm condo with electric heat, it was costing her $400 a month for heat
i had a 1-bedroom where i lived before and in the winter it was 200/month for electric heat. here it's included in the rent, but the new place it won't be:(

Our gas bill was an outrageous $350 for 2 1/2 months from January through mid March. Of course we were running it high at that time too. Usually it would be less then that. And that just included the Furnace, not the stove.

fly said:
I had always heard that electric heat is retardedly expensive and inefficient. We use it in Florida, but I think everyone up north uses gas cause its better for heating.

I think...
you have heard correct good sir. I've got electric heat baseboards in my condo and they suck ass. It gets warm quick and all, but it's expensive. My place is about 800sqft and I tend to keep it about 65 degrees and my electric usage went up from like $50 a month to $120 a month. Not to mention that the first time you use the heat of the season, the whole place smells like burning dust. :(

A project for anyone who has time: Find some condo/townhome developments in the Henderson/Las Vegas suburb area. Kiwi and I are looking around out there.

CletusJones said:
you have heard correct good sir. I've got electric heat baseboards in my condo and they suck ass. It gets warm quick and all, but it's expensive. My place is about 800sqft and I tend to keep it about 65 degrees and my electric usage went up from like $50 a month to $120 a month. Not to mention that the first time you use the heat of the season, the whole place smells like burning dust. :(

That sounds like fun..... :fly:

BigDov said:
That sounds like fun..... :fly:
definately. They're all getting replaced this summer during my remodeling project. I've done some research and supposedly there are some really energy efficient ones available for a fairly reasonable price. They're about $10 - $15 per foot of length.

CletusJones said:
definately. They're all getting replaced this summer during my remodeling project. I've done some research and supposedly there are some really energy efficient ones available for a fairly reasonable price. They're about $10 - $15 per foot of length.

energy efficient baseboard heaters? Wow.

ChikkenNoodul said:
:lol:

We looked at a house with even more land (120 acres), 'bout the same sized house that had been a little more modernized, several more useful barns, and a guest house.

One of the reasons we didn't get it was because of the electric baseboard heat :fly:

Couldn't you just rip them out and replace them with radiant or forced air or something?